main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I met an Olympian today

Discussion in 'Community' started by TahiriVeilaSolo69, Feb 9, 2013.

1. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    The swim team I coach raced against Katie Ledecky's team! I got to see her break three high school records today as well. Slightly hilarious to see my kiddos flock around her and ask to see the gold medal :p Has anyone else ever got to meet an Olympian as well?

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I met Susie Favor Hamilton in a hotel room in Vegas once.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    A guy who was on the U.S. archery team in the 1984 Olympics was from my hometown, and there was a big to-do in the city park when he came home, which I attended, because my babysitters took all us kids to it.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Three-time gold medalist swimmer Rowdy Gaines once gave my local swim team some lessons. I've still got some autographed photographs of him lying around, as well as a picture of me with him.

Oh and I went to school with the daughter of one of the Miracle on Ice team members. Met him a bunch of times, nbd.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I played basketball for years with an Olympian, from elementary school through jr high. He played volleyball in the London Olympics

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    not an Olympian, but Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks grew up across the street from me. I know his dad well. My son has met a bunch of Olympic swimmers.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I sold some Winstrol to Ben Johnson back in '88. I wonder whatever happened to him?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    What was his hair like back then?

Also, I graduated high school with a girl who ended up being an Olympic rower for the US in London (she did not medal). I think we exchanged about 12 words in our lives.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    iman or his dad?[​IMG]

Iman in high school

10. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I meant Iman, but I guess I'm now curious about his Dad too. Does Iman get his style from his father?

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Dan Jansen and Bonnie Blair trained at a facility I played hockey at. Met both of them just before the Olympics.

13. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Shawn Johnson attends my church and I've seen her around there a few times. She's pretty low key about it as it is probably one of the few places she can be where she isn't shadowed by a bodyguard. I'd also like to point out that while she is tiny (probably under or just at 5 feet tall), she is quite attractive, even moreso than what you see on tv. Also, while I haven't met her, several people I know locally have met Gabby Douglas, one of the perks of having a world class gymnastics school in your hometown.

14. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I've met Hope Solo and Alex Morgan. And I'm friends with a guy who was an alternate for the British Cycling team in 2008.

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    My mother knew Mary Lou Retton when she was growing up.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i once had sex with eartha kitt in an airplane bathroom.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was hoping you'd met Athena or Dionysus or something. :(

I hear the latter has great parties.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We know all about your bathroom stories, dude.

tom likes this.
  20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I've met a bunch of Olympic swimmers. It's really easy if you just go watch a Grand Prix meet. The Santa Clara one is just a 15-minute drive away. The fun thing is, the swimmers are very accessible and approachable, because swimming is so much more low-key than big sports like football or baseball.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I went line dancing with the Jamaican bobsled team.

22. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I know Isaac Menyoli pretty well. He was the ONLY person from the entire continent of Africa to compete in the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002. He's also a Milwaukee architect I've done a bunch of work for. Nice guy too.

Kiki-Gonn and Healer_Leona like this.
  23. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I raced against David Oliver in the 110 hurdles when I was in college and he was training for Beijing.

He was this huge guy who only did like a couple drills, and we were like "Who is this dude?" Then he took off his warmups and had Team USA spandex on. I remember PA introductions were like "In Lane 1, LloydChristmas...in Lane 4, REPRESENTING YOUR UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, DAVID OLIVER!"

24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I played rugby with Brian Boitano's nephew. My mom's first cousin won a gold, silver, and bronze in the 76 winter games (Sheila Young Ochowicz). Her daughter, my second cousin, Elli Ochowicz, raced in the 2002 and 2010 winter games.

I wrestled Cael Sanderson at a clinic and put him on his back.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Courtney McCool from the Athens USA Women's gymnastics team was one of my mom's high school students at the time. She got a bunch of deductions on her floor routine for stepping on the line. My brother told my mom that when Courtney got back, my mom ought to put masking tape around her desk and tell her that every time she stepped on it she'd lose percentage points in the class.