main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Plagueis the Wise

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's one of the favorite scenes in SW movies, Plagueis is also one of my favorite Sith. But shouldn't Anakin suspect Palpatine is Sidious after heard it?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  3. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    eh

not really,

he's a Chancellor,

he's probably well read in all matters of culture

including sith folklore

"it;s a sith legend"

are only the Jedi supposed to know about Sith?

i doubt it

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He said "not from a Jedi", that's luring Anakin, and beside him very few people knew about Plagueis, not to say his death.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know why a Chancellor would know "Sith folklore," considering that the Sith were allegedly extinct for a millenia, and I also was not under the impression that the general public knew what a Sith was.

PrometheusCreations likes this.
  6. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    in that case, I shouldn't know anything about Greek mythology or any other ancient civilisation

and why shouldn't ordinary people know what Sith were?

wasn't there a sith war or Empire?

pretty useless empire if it was a secret one..

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The problem is nobody beside Sidious even know Plagueis' death, very few people know this name.

8. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    that's why he was careful to say "legend"

Force Smuggler, Darth Zannah and ILNP like this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Legend should be well known.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Should" doesn't make it happen. And I don't know that there is any reason for anyone outside the Order to know about the Sith, given that the ways of the Jedi were not well known to the general public and the Sith had been extinct for a millennia.

Plus Anakin was surprised when he learned that Palpatine knew of the Force.

11. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    given that the ways of the Jedi were not well known to the general public

--

oh really?

"you're a Jedi knight aren't you?"

"I saw your laser sword, only a Jedi carry that kind of weapon"

"what do you think you're some kind of Jedi waving your hand around like that?"

jabba: he's using an old Jedi mind trick"

these are people from an outer rim planet..

if these people know rhe basics of what the Jedi are, it seems unlikely that Palpatine an educated man wouldn't know an odd legend or two regarding the enemy

V-2, Darth Zannah, ILNP and 1 other person like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, knowing that Jedi carry lightsabers and use mind tricks does not equal knowing the ways of the Jedi, as there is a hell of a lot more to being a Jedi than that. Anakin thought being a Jedi meant flying around and seeing planets and freeing slaves.

And we never hear anyone other than Jedi mention Sith.

13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    any reason for the facetious LOLing?

or did you genuinely miss my point?

I did not say people knew everything about them,

just as I don't know the daily routines of a catholic monk, or what they do 24 hours a day despite being a catholic myself

but they knew basics, that is far from "not well known"

even if they are that is not the point.

Palpatine is not the General Public, he's a Chancellor and from what I've read a very very cultured guy.

To say "no, there is no way Palpatine could have known anything about the Sith, every Chancellor has the same interests, beliefs, education" is quite frankly absurd.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He was, but being "cultured" and knowing more about an allegedly-extinct enemy of the Jedi than the Jedi sitting next to him, should register as odd.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    well I agree that Anakin maybe should have thought about it a bit but Anakin might have thought:

A) eh, he must know a bit about about old legends,

(and put it out his mind)

B) he wanted to hear the story and wasn't that bothered about semantics on where he heard it, his mind was on Padme the whole time.

Also, Palps might want to have a little history on the enemy of the people he's in contact with, just to be briefed in case of complications

in short:

It's not enough for me to think "Anakin, you idiot" for not realising.

Force Smuggler, Darth Zannah and ILNP like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it's option B but I still think Anakin was an idiot. Not that he bothered using his brain the entire last half of that film...

17. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    fair enough :p

but would you call it bad writing from Lucas?

or just Anakin being dumb ie: Anakin was written to be stupid?

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Anakin was so irrational and desperate at that point that all his mental capabilities went out the window, and I think that was intentional, to show what intense fear does to a person.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  19. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I just see the scene differently I think

I see it as more of an expanded character assestment on Palpatine being highly educated and commited to "kowledge" rather than a Anakin scene,

but hey interesting viewpoint and one I hadn't considered before :)

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Of course, he also said that no one could kill a Jedi. Shows what you know, kid. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, Anakin totally at least suspects. Look at the phrasing of his opening line before Palpatine lays it all out:

"I know there's things about the Force they're not telling me." *weighted pause*

He might not know Palpatine is Sidious at that point, but he clearly knows Palpatine has more knowledge than he's letting on about.

Alienware and ILNP like this.
  22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Arawn: but kids think those things :p "no one can beat my uncle in a fight, he's black belt in Tae Kwondo"

same sort of thing.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Clone Wars: Wild Space, we find out that Palpatine and Padme were told at least a little bit about the Sith, after the Naboo incident.

24. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to that non-human spaceship crew which was murdered by Plagueis when he went off Bal'demnic to Muunilinst. Would he have spared them when they would have complied to his wishes to fly him to Muunilinst without posing questions to him or delivering him back to the authorities of Bal'demnic? The same thing I ask myself about Zannah flying from Ruusan to Onderon. Will she have spared the crew when they would have flown her to Onderon on Zannah's initial wish? Or is it likely that Plagueis would have killed the crew also to prevent potential witnesses though they would have fully complied to Plagueis' wishes?

25. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes you could say that but he was a good friend to him or so Anakin thought but anyway another Jedi would have like say Yoda and Obi-won would of become deeply suspicious but as I said before since Anakin trusted palpatine he didn't suspect anything that we know of anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk