main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you think Watto was a character that was based on antisemitic stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KilroyMcFadden, Feb 9, 2013.

?

Did you think Watto was a character that was based on antisemitic stereotypes?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. Yes but unintentionaly

6.7%
  3. No but I can see where people might get that impression

20.0%
  4. No

53.3%
  5. My feelings about Watto' character traits are more complex. See comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Is there any point in having a conversation if you're just going to get pissed at people and tell them they are "wrong" when they don't see this exactly as you do?

Valairy Scot and DarthRelaxus like this.
  2. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to anakinfansince1983 for not quoting my whole post.

3. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm not pissed at all. Only a fool gets a rise from people on the internet [face_laugh]

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And where did I try to do anything like that?

This is very simple: Do you associate "sloped nose, droopy eyes, stubble, slave-ownership, and greed" with your people?

- If yes, then you are being racist towards your own people.

- If not, then what's exactly the problem with Watto? "No harm, no foul".

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll quote whatever I need to make my point. Partial quotes aren't against the TOS.

6. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    It's not that simple. Racism is not simple at all, and you'll get in deep water if you use that logic anywhere but the anonymous internet. No, I don't associate them with my people. But I am smart to recognize that throughout history, those traits have been used in propaganda against my people, and when I see multiple traits which have been historically expressed in propaganda, and I associate them with that negative propaganda.

windu4 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? I don't think you're changing anyone's minds, and attempts to tell other people that they are idiots or uneducated because they don't agree with you, generally don't fly well around here.

Samnz, DarthRelaxus and Alexrd like this.
  8. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I never really felt 'blimey, that's a blue skinned flying Jew' so I'd have to say no. It just didn't feel like that when I was watching the film. The first time I wondered whether Watto was based on a Jewish stereotype was when I read it on the internet. Anyway I thought that whole stereotype was formed when there were a lot of Jews in banking e.g. the Rothschilds. Watto was far from being a rich and successful banker.

9. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    this thread won't end well

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why not?

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race". Seems simple enough to me.

Then I don't understand what's the problem.

Then you're giving importance to a lie, or in my opinion, something that doesn't deserve attention at all. But that's on you.

11. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    No insulting people either.

12. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Lucas gave importance to the lie by including Watto, yet you aren't bringing any attention to that...

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't.

His creator says that it isn't. What's your source?

Then what exactly are you doing here?

14. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    From the parallels being drawn here I could go and start a thread claiming that Lucas is prejudiced towards British people because the Imperials have British accents but that's another story.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's blatantly obvious, but since that's the case, why bother posting it on a discussion board where people will respond to you? This place was never meant to be anyone's personal soap box. That's what blogs and Facebook are for; it's easy there to either block comments altogether or censor out people who disagree with you.

16. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    The Empire could very well be based on the former British Empire. The British Empire did some nasty things back in the colonial days, but it's far more likely they were based on the Nazis (stromtroopers?)

17. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I stated what I am doing here, asking says you must have missed that from my posts. When people say that an anti-semitic caricature is not racist, that's alarming to me.

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    How did he give importance to the lie? Lucas isn't saying anything about Jewish people with Watto. Or should I be insulted, as a French person, that Lucas specifically utilized a French accent for an alien race that tends to be skimpily dressed and enslaved? Because I'm not and I think it is bizarre to think that the Twi'lek are in any way racist against French people.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So you're trying to disparage people who don't see Watto the way you do? From your posts you don't seem interested in learning why people might not see him that way, especially posts such as "my point of view is all I care about."

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  20. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't think I heard Twi'leks speak in a French accent. Bib Fortuna didn't sound french to me.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    From the parallels being drawn here I could go and start a thread claiming that Lucas is prejudiced towards British people

--

this is true of most Hollywood movies of old :p

I don't take it personally,

in fact I bet British actors are thankful for the work :p

22. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    I fear you may have misunderstood our argument. We are NOT saying that anti-semitic caricature's are not racist. We are saying that Watto isn't an anti-semitic caricature. You see the difference I trust?

23. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Couldn't we just as easily condemn the original Star Wars for handing the only "black" role to the villain, the James Earl Jones-voiced Darth Vader? Is Threepio the stereotypical effete romantic partner to R2-D2? (MAD magazine certainly had fun with that back in the day.) Was there anything progressive about reducing the only female character to a sex slave and stripping her down to a bikini (in a PG-rated family film, no less)?

I'm not necessarily arguing that certain racist tropes didn't unconsciously leak into the TPM narrative, but how far do we go here?

24. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    They speak with a French accent-that Lucas specifically requested-in the Clone Wars. As far as I can recall Aayla Secura didn't speak in the movies but she has the accent in the TV show.

25. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm not trying to disparage them. You continue to draw false conclusions based on parts of my posts, rather than the whole post itself.
    you can't honestly say that a big nosed, cheap, yiddish accent, along with teeth and other remarkable resemblances to Nazi propaganda isn't racist? And if so, okay. I know what your views are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.