main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I understand what you're saying, but it's also perfectly in line with how older people act for Han to think back on his past, especially a certain cantina where his life changed forever. In that sense, i'd say this reference is pretty justified. Certainly not the worst we've had over the last few years.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    That was one clumsy sentence. I was going to defend Crucible as it may be the last post ROTJ adventure in this timeline. That sentence, however, sounds like it's from one of those kids read along records from the 80's.

fistofan1 likes this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't remember where I ate ten nights ago.

4. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Considering that 1) its the opening line of the book, so it's best to harken back to something ALL SW fans would know rather than SOME , and that 2) this most likely is supposed to be one of those "novel jumping in points" so it's a good idea as it might have a lot of brand new readers and 3) that this might be the re-start to the EU continuity, so it might not be a good idea to reference things that don't "exist" anymore...

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Or it could just be Denning being a lazy author churning out the same recycled cliches as always.

mnjedi, GrandMasterKatarn and RC-1991 like this.
  6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Having read the excerpt, it looks like, having spent the last 21 (22 if you count Falcon) Denning and Denning lead books pretending that the hero’s don't age. Denning is now going out of his way to beat us repeatedly about the head with the fact that Han and Leia are, in fact, relatively old. Which I suppose is an improvement, but I was hoping for a tad more subtlety that somebody walking up to Han and Leia and saying (and this is paraphrasing just a bit, but not much) "Dang! You two are old!". The reuse of OT clichés is still annoying, as is Dennings obsession with making the mandos look as incompetent as humanly possible. Still it wasn't as bad as I feared and those robot lizard things are interesting, so I have moved my position from, completely unenthused to mostly unenthused.

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    My opinion of Denning was actually fairly high, but it is losing ground consistently and this does not help. I hope Disney forces a new publisher and that we get some new authors as well.I would even take some old ones like R.A Salvatore, Or Kathy Tyers, or Keyes.

my kind of scum and jedimikey like this.
  8. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

You would if you met your soul mate or your best friend died at that moment and the details are burning into your memory.

9. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    The publisher doesn't matter - it's whoever at LFL who's approving the books/authors. (Was Crucible approved by Rostoni or is it a Heddle project?)

10. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    A theory of mine is that Crucible will tie-in into Episode VII.

Why else only wait until NOW to make a big three book? They could've had plenty of opportunities to do so before.

kataja likes this.
  11. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Except for the fact that Denning was most likely writing the book before he knew anything about Episode VII.

I think the reasoning was to (a) draw back OT fans who had grown disillusioned with the current post-RotJ storyline, and (b) get the Big 3 out of the way to let the younger generation shine in Sword of the Jedi.

Esg likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The way I see it, its too little, too late. If they really wanted me to care, they would start from scratch with the post-NJO, and Denning wouldn't be writing this, because I am that infuriated by and disinterested with the depressing train wreck that he was the chief architect of.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  13. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Where has it been said he was chief architect of it?

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    IIRC there were a bunch of interviews reprinted in some of the Dark Nest and LotF books where he and LFL indicated that his ideas formed the basis for the post-NJO era, further confirmed by the ERC. Jacen's fall- which is the crux around which DN-LOTF-FOTJ revolve- has been confirmed as his idea in several sources.

Jedi Ben and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    No, you're absolutely right to point this out. Granted, I think this wasn't the best example, because I have no doubt that Han Solo recalls the Mos Eisley cantina quite well (though little chance he would remember the name).

But you're right overall, and this happens in many books, not just Denning's. Heck, I'd say it began with The Thrawn Trilogy and the numerous exact references and quotes from the Original Trilogy.

16. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Every single post-OT novel mentions something from the OT directly, and only EU novels indirectly unless they affect the novel. Same with clone wars/PT era novels with the PT trilogy.

17. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I am pretty sure that Crucible was a Heddle Project. Though I may be wrong, but I think the only remaining Rostoni project is Paul S. Kemp duology at this pont.

18. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    While my vote would go to Salvatore, my favorite author of all time (and Drizzt Do'urden being my favorite hero), the man is just too busy writing Forgotten Realms material, I think it's unlikely we'll see any new SW from him. Which is a shame. :(

Manisphere likes this.
  19. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Am reading "Vector Prime" for the first time and loving it so far. This is my first Salvatore book...

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I used to consider Denning among my favorite EU writers. Emphasis on used to...

21. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    You can take a peak at the first chapter if you go to Amazon and look inside Scoundrels. It's of course at the bottom of a huge inside look at Scoundrels.

22. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    this

i love how SW fans can whinge about the most ridiculous things

Of course it's going to reference the movies more than random things that happen off screen. That's how tie-in literature works.

I actually quite enjoy that, as I feel it somewhat makes up for Karen Traviss' horrific writing during Legacy of the Force

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Totally whacky idea that isn't going to happen, but in the interest of Chewbacca resurrections, it occurred to me over the weekend that you could have Crucible be about that other Crucible and the Crucible have been going around capturing prisoners and slaves and so on throughout the past thirty years, having recovered this dying Wookiee during the Vong War, and the discovery and final destruction of said ancient slaving cartel be tied into the slave revolution plotline that they've been building up lately.

Obviously not going to happen, but a group with ties to the Sith Empire and possible artifacts that would make people still appear dead in the Force would actually appeal to me as a mass resurrection plot that wouldn't be a mass resurrection plot.

25. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012

To be fair Dennings offerings during legacy weren’t much (if any) better, and oddly enough, FotJ, with the Jedi subverting the democratically elected government that they worked so hard to install via military coup, murdering their active grandmaster, appointing one of their own as head of government and then launching mafia stile hits on people seems to prove Traviss right in retrospect. I mean how hilarious is that? Troy Denning of all people validated the viewpoints Karen Traviss by having his Jedi run around like unmitigated, petulant, thugs.

It was rather amusing seeing them trying to one up each other every book, but Traviss has been out of star wars for how long? At this point it has just become rather sad imo.