main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How would YOU imprive the CT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    This is my first post, long time lurker here.

Anyway, I often see threads about how one would wish the change the PT (which is understandable)

But what tweaks/major changes would YOU have made, if you were directing/producing the movie?

Personally, the only change I would make is deleting Luke and Leia's kiss.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Star Wars without incest is just wrong!

I can only imagine making the pace of ANH match ESB a little more...

For ROTJ I think I'd like to chop up the palace stuff with some cutaways to imperial machinations or something, then cut a lot of Ewok stuff, or make them less civilised/friendly in their village. Impress the idea of Ewoks as cute looking but vicious.

I'm assuming that all the excesses of the Special Editions never existed.

Welcome, by the way. :)

3. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Thanks! Yes, the Ewoks are most definitely rubbish, and while I was a small child when I first saw them in theaters (and admittedly liked them), I have since grown to thoroughly despise them.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Personally, I would restore them all to how they appeared prior to the '97 Special Editions, with maybe the exception of some of the changes done to ESB (Cloud City and the Wampa footage).

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Yunners like this.
  5. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I find it a little absurd that out of all the Star Wars fans in the world, many of whom likely of techy jobs, none of them are capable of doing so themselves, and providing it as a fan service.

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    A guy called Adywan has a fan project called Star Wars Revisited, he re-edits the Special Editions with OCD-like attention to detail. ANH is done (and it's a masterpiece), ESB is nearly done.

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/
    http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/esbr-facts/
    http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/rotjr-facts/

He's even planned re-edits of the PT:
    http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/ptr-facts/

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  7. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    that's awesome! Thanks!!

V-2 likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't make any changes, honestly, and the reason is in those edit lists above - or, more specifically, in the number of changes listed that are not simple restorations or updates to modern visual/audio quality. There are things I would do differently if I was the creator of Star Wars, and I don't agree with the way George Lucas has tried to outright write over the existence of earlier editions. But they are his movies (well, done with the frequently-invaluable assistance of others, but you know what I mean), and I don't feel qualified or comfortable imposing my personal preferences upon them, even as a speculative exercise.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Removing all puppetry - especially Yoda & the Ewoks, and removing all claymation/stop-motion - especially the rancor, and replacing it with quality CGI. If I got the rights to Star Wars that would literally be the FIRST thing I would do!

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Set ROTJ 3 years after ESB...Luke somehow bypassing Vader in power in one year seems hard to believe. Three years would also allow for a more powerful Rebel Alliance, one that might actually be able to realistically challenge the Empire at Endor. Lastly, replace Ewoks with Wookies.

11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I would have to write an essay on this subject, just as I would have to write an essay on improvements for the PT.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  12. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I would take out that NOOOO that Lucas put in Jedi.

Add some more shots of Rebels fighting the Imperials on Endor (as opposed to Ewoks mostly).

13. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    THIS. The fact that Luke suddenly becomes a legitimate Jedi Knight in such short a time and without ANY further training from Yoda always irks me. Perhaps it took them a couple years to track down the exact location of Han Solo?

Also, I would pace the Hoth battle a little better, and add more "roller coaster" tracking shots of the snow speeder. That scene never really flowed for me.

I also would give Boba a slightly larger role, and wouldn't have him die like a punk.

Other than that... Honestly there isn't a whole lot I would want to change, even if I thought it would make the movies better. They are too sacred for me to imagine being changed completely.

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would probably rework the battle on Endor. The Ewoks don't work in that scene at all. The dialoge tells us that this is a legion of the best troops at the Empire's disposal, and it's basically a slapstick routine. I would lessen the Ewok's role in the battle, and focus more on the rebellion against the Empire. The Ewoks alone are fine, it's their role in the battle that is a problem for me.

15. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I would've fought harder to get Peter Suschitzky to serve as DP on all three films and not just ESB. But I would've light to see his lighting reigned in just a wee bit (ESB has a very glossy, overly shiny Hollywood look at times instead of the more documentary-esque ANH), and I'd have made a few trims to the script (I cringe at lines like "laser brain" and "who's scruffy lookin'?").

Also, maybe it would've been neat to see Lucas' initial plan for a more racially diverse cast put into action. A black Han, a Japanese Leia and Toshiro Mifune himself as Obi-Wan? I'd watch that.

16. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Who tells you that ROTJ is not set 3 years after ESB?

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Check out the official timeline located in the front of any Star Wars novel, it lists ESB as 3 ABY and ROTJ as 4 ABY.

It's also listed on the Wiki page as well as other published works, such as the Essential Reader's Companion.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If I were the one writing/directing these films there are only a few things I would do differently. In ANH I would have kept Leia's line, "And you call yourselves humans!" right after the Death Star blows up Alderaan just to show a bit of her anger and sadness at her planet being destroyed. Then there are two things I would tweak with ROTJ: 1) I would make it clear that Leia acted impulsively and on her own when she goes to free Han (I've always assumed that that was not apart of Luke's original plan and that he has to wing it when Leia and Chewie get captured.) 2) I would not have Leia so easily accept that Darth Vader is her father. I would have her get angry with Luke for merely suggesting it (she would bring up Alderaan and tell him that Vader killed her real parents) and the two of them would leave on bad terms. I think it would add a bit more drama to the end and when Leia tells Han that she knows Luke didn't die because she felt it we as the audience would then know that she has come to terms with the revelation. Anyway, these are just a few things I've thought about but the films are great without them.

19. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Well, it was Tarkin who killed her parents by blowing up Alderaan, not necessarily Vader.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I understand that but I don't think Leia would feel that way. I don't think she would see much difference between the man who gave the order and the man who stood by and allowed it to happen. He also held her back and stopped her from interferring (not that she would have been able to stop them.)

21. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    If I were Luke, upon hearing Vader's statement on Cloud City I would demand a DNA test. No way is Hitler going to tell me he's my daddy without some proof.

22. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    DNA test? Nah. They have the force. After all Vader says "Search your feelings, you will know it to be true."

I'm not entirely sure how I would imprive the CT ;) but I suppose I would improve it by having less stormtroopers but have them shooting more accurately. The hopelessly inefficient "professional soldiers" made the film less believable for me

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I was just watching the OT on blu-ray for the first time this weekend, and those boxes around the TIE fighters are SO distracting, especially in ANH. Light yellow against a black background? Seriously?

Another issue: lightsabers. I noticed that most activations/deactivations are off-camera, due to the frame jumps. The ones you do see, the frame jumps are terrible. Notice when Luke turns on his father's lightsaber for the first time how C-3PO jumps forward a good inch. Maybe digitally correct that.

Finally, fix that terrible mirrored image of Boba in ROTJ. That scene in Jabba's palace - his antenna is on the wrong side. No clue why the shpt is mirrored, but it's so distracting!

Other than that, I don't have that many gripes.

24. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    It's funny to me how most of the suggestions for improving the OT are minor little things...but when a similar thread is made about the PT, the list is extremely lengthy.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Or as I prefer, you could try the Harmy's Despecialized Editions.

A lot of these tweaks being suggested are the reason why Lucasfilm just wouldn't get behind an unaltered remastered DVD/Blu-Ray release. Even the people who like the films as they were pre-Special Editions want to see tweaks. Frame jumps, matte lines, "blobs" on the Emperor or whatever people call them, "squares" around TIE Fighters...that stuff never bothered me and didn't bother most people until they were shown stuff in movies could be altered.

V-2 and HanSolo29 like this.