main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Ewan McGregor's Reaction to the Spin-Offs

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    This sounds absolutely perfect for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie.

And jump back and forth between Star Destroyer scenes, and Coruscant, and Tatooine. And for Tatooine go all out, shoot for the moon. Go for Lawrence of Arabia in scope and scale. Throw in the giant Jawa Sandcrawlers. Dewbacks. Tribes of Tusken Radiers, go crazy with that. Again, add A'Sharad Hett if you want...

Yeah, an Obi-Wan Kenobi spinoff movie would top my list of most want to see. Followed by a Seven Samurai Jedi spinoff.

As a fun aside, and I'm sure most know this, but for those who don't, George Lucas was originally going to cast the famous Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    petition signed :)

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree, Echo. It probably won't happen but is definitely fun to think about. I would consider it an Obi-Wan side story unrelated to the overall themes of the Skywalker saga. The saga is more than just the characters that appear in it so I think it would be okay to have stories about those characters that impacts the saga but isn't essential to it.

4. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I understand that being Luke's guardian, people want to see Obi-Wan do some actual physical protecting, but if you think about it, the main reason to keep Luke on Tattooine with Obi-Wan watching from afar was to keep him hidden from the Sith. You can't then, really have gangsters or slavers abducting Luke or even knowing of his existence without cheapening the whole hiding-from-the-sith point of being there in the first place. And again, what motivation would gangsters or whomever have to meddle with an anonymous farmers infant? It would seem forced.

I think Obi-Wan saving Luke from the sandpeople in ANH should remain the first time their paths cross. Other then I always pictured Obi-Wan as a Gandalf type figure, dropping in every few years to check in like how Gandalf did to Frodo. Maybe those visits caused Owen to become leery of him or whatever, nothing to make a movie about tho.

IMO of course.

StoneRiver likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Episode III.V - The Last Stand... Starring Ewan MacGregor, Samuel L. Jackson and Ian McDiarmid.

Survivors of the Jedi Order make a last stand. Obi-Wan hears news of this from Bail Organa and decides to leave Tatooine to help them. Once they all meet in secret on Alderaan (counting Yoda, a total of only 15 Jedi survived the purge), he and a group of Jedi Knights decide to venture out to Kamino in hopes of finding a way to stop clone production. They discover that a contingecy order was placed on the clone dna template called Order 86 that would command the clones to kill each other in case they rebelled. During this time, Vader and his legion of Clone Troopers sweep the galaxy hunting the Jedi Knights. After sensing what Obi-Wan's group plan to do, he sets out to meet them on Kamino. Mace Windu, who had survived his fall on Coruscant, leads the rest of the Jedi against the security forces of the newly established Emperor in hopes of destroying him. Two battles ensue, one on Kamino, the other on Coruscant. Obi-Wan's group manage to send word of the Clone's weakness to Mace. All but Obi-Wan dies fighting against Vader and his troops. Meeting again in a duel, Obi-Wan tries to persuade Vader to turn back to the good side. But Vader would hear none of it and tries to kill his former master. Sensing that his companions are all dead, Obi-Wan escapes to his ship's platform and avoids the Imperial ships waiting for him in orbit. And being the only survivor of his own group of Jedi, Mace Windu finds a way to send a message to all clone commanders to obey Order 86 without them knowing who he is. And they do, unquestioningly, killing all of their kind in the process. After this hapens, Darth Sidious senses his defeat is at hand. Hoping that Mace Windu would want again to meet with the Dark Lord, Darth Sidious lures him into a trap at his secret hideout in the old industrial sector. There, Mace learns all of the secrets of the Sith Lord and what new weapons they plan to build. But after getting seriously injured again in battle with Darth Sidious, he tries to destroy the Dark Lord and himself by caving in the old building that they fought in. Sidious manages to escape in time before the ceiling collapsed on both of them, but not before getting seriously wounded himself. Hearing from Senator Organa that the mission to destroy the Emperor had failed, Obi-Wan returns to Tatooine, but not without the satisfaction that he and his friends had rid the galaxy of the Empire's clone army.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, toddler Luke finds a rock in the sand. It's actually a really really really important rock so the local Tatoonie bad guys grab him. Send in the Kenobi! Nobody gets out alive! Works for me.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No, not based on that last series with Ferus - no way, no how.

8. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So the safety and wellbeing of LUKE SKYWALKER isn't central to the main saga? [face_dunno]
    I think I may be on the wrong boards cuz the Saga I'm watching is pretty SKYWALKER centric.

Let's look at it this way, pretend if you will the Lars Homestead is ransacked, Owen is killed, Beru is held captive, and Luke is taken to be put into slavery - hmmmm, ANH would start very differently. Just be old man Ben on his lonesome going to Anchorhead. The saga sure as hell wouldn't be what it is today.

But Obi is protecting them I hear you shout. OK, let's go that scenario. Oh, wait, I already did earlier when it was explained that this would end up episode III.5.

For example:
    RotS ends with OBI-WAN handing LUKE SKYWALKER to UNCLE OWEN and AUNT BERU in the Lars Homestead on Tatooine.
    Obi-Wan spin off tells a story of how Obi keeps LUKE SKYWALKER UNCLE OWEN and AUNT BERU safe from pirates or whatever. Most of the action is set at the Lars Homestead on Tatooine.
    ANH starts with a 2 droids making there separate ways across a desert, both ultimately making their way to LUKE SKYWALKER, his UNCLE OWEN and AUNT BERU at the Lars Homestead on Tatooine.

Is that not a very linear story?

And this my friends, is why the OBI spin off can have him protecting anything but the Lars Homestead.

Maybe another homestead, and it just so happens the owners of that homestead are friends with Owen Lars and that is where we get some interaction between Ben and Owen?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  9. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Sorry, when I said "this my friends" what I really should have said was "this my friends and fellow Star Wars Obsessives" [face_dancing]

Let's start a group - The SWO!!! Oh wait, we're already here and in a group [face_laugh]

Love these boards and love the people on 'em!

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What I'm trying to say is that the story told in this hypothetical Obi-Wan spin-off isn't essential to understanding the overall themes and story of the main saga. It is an interesting back story and has obvious connections to the saga but isn't essential in its telling. It's a fun in-between but you wouldn't need to watch it if you're going to sit down and watch the entire six film saga. That is what is important to me. But this all just speculation because I don't think any of it will ever happen. I'm just hoping. [face_praying]

Echo-07 and Graphic like this.
  11. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    The speculation and different ideas make the build up all the more fun. I applaud your opinion sir =D=

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Can we get sand people with light sabers?

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Can we get light sabers with sand?

14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IMO, no, Luke being a baby, then child, then teen isn't the crux of his saga. His saga starts in Episode IV. Obi-Wan overseeing his well-being, while important isn't central to the saga, but would make for an epic sub-plot. The idea of having the Lars (and the actors from the PT) as well as Ewan Kenobi in a seven Jedi scenario is very intriguing. I don't think they'll do it, at least I don't think it's on the burner right now -- Han and Boba seem to be -- but I would love a Zack Snyder seven Jedi film as Darth Chiznuk suggested. However, I think it will eventually be produced but not with obi-Wan or the Lars, but we can hope!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well they could make a Moulin Rouge! type musical with Obi-Wan and his doomed love interest.

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    .. also called Satine.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Haha wow I never even realized that since I don't really read the EU. Then I guess my idea should be inevitable.

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's from TCW.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012

20. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Methinks the scriptwriters have a finely tuned sense of humour, and that they enjoyed putting in that wee shout-out.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

Veloz and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
  22. Darth Humberdinck

Darth Humberdinck Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2013
    Of all the supposed/proposed/rumored spin-offs, I like this idea the best. Exploring the relationship between Ben and Owen seems like some potentially powerful character moments.

23. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  24. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    I hope so! Could be awesome!

There are a lot of directions it can go. Crazy old wizard Ben, how he comes by that lovely place on the side of a mountain, Tuskens, Jawas, Sarlacc, Jabba, Cantina, Wamp Rats, Dragons, etc, etc! ON AND ON!

It's a great time to be a SW fan!

25. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    JainaSoloYJK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.