main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub ~~EUC Jedi~~ The Guardians of Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CPL_Macja, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Taab and company should be arriving at sick bay soon Paddy, then Alisha will have more people to interact with. Of course two of them will be Mandalorian... [face_devil]

[​IMG]

2. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Being Mando has nothing to do with anything, Buckethead! I'm already interacting with a half-Mando.

3. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    [face_laugh]

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah, but none of them call your character Sith-Bait. :p

[​IMG]

5. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    I will lose that cursed nickname very soon.

6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

:p

[​IMG]

7. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    *unfazed* Yes, I will try. And succeed!

8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I like your confidence. ;)

[​IMG]

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Do or do not...there is no try!

10. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    So my next shadow war post idea I have involves blowing up my ship. Can I do that?

11. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    ...blowing up your ship?

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    That might make a mess of the hanger...

[​IMG]

13. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    It may not make sense right now but trust me it will eventually

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I would say talk to CPL about it.

[​IMG]

15. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Ok. Really the whole point of it is to show how my characters past has caught up with her

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    And I would still talk to CPL about it. ;)

He is our GoL GM, so if you are asking a question about doing something, he is the one to ask.

[​IMG]

17. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Yep. How do you think I got permission for the Big R? :p

18. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    ok sounds good. Anyway how is everyone

19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I am fine, as always. ;)

[​IMG]

20. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    That's debatable :p

21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Well from an aruetiise standpoint perhaps. You all would say I am awesome. But in my own mind, at the moment I am doing fine.

[​IMG]

22. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
  23. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    On Space Combat.

It appears that the films may have actually 'got it right' in respect of ranges for Space Combat. What has been quoted to me from the WEG Rebellion Sourcebook (Capital Ship vs Capital Ship @ 80 km and Capital Ship vs Starfighter @ 160 km) also appears realistic; although the figures appear counter-intuitive.

The limiting factors (although a Turbolaser discharge would certainly reach much further than even 160km) appear to be (a) the speed with which a Turbolaser can be accurately trained in both axes (azimuth and elevation) and (b) Shield Capacity of the targeted ship(s).

Getting a little technical;
    The current Nato standard for setting a weapon's azimuth and elevation is the 'Mil' (short for 'milliradian' - i.e. one thousandth of one sixth of the circumference of a circle; and in Nato usage, defined as 1/6400th part of a circle). An error of one 'Mil' moves the centre of the beam 1 metre away from the desired aimpoint at 1 km range. One 'Mil' is also equal to the old measurement of three minutes of arc (written as 3'; with a minute of arc being 1/60th of a degree and a second of arc, very logically, being 1/60th of a minute!).

For Planetary Bombardment purposes (assuming the Star Destroyer is in a Geostationary orbit at 42,164 km above Earth's Equator) finer laying would be possible (let's notionally define two more measurements; the 'Micro' - 1/1000th of a 'Mil' - and the 'Nan' - 1/1000th of a 'Micro') as the ship would be absolutely fixed in space relative to the planet/target and the target (Installation, Town or City) wouldn't be going anywhere!

In a space battle, however, the enemy ship(s) can (rather unsportingly) dodge! They can bob up above their previous elevation, duck down below it or even vary the output of their thrusters (the famous 'reverse throttle hop' of the X-Wing series is an example, although Capital Ships couldn't do so in such an exaggerated form); and while forced errors in azimuth (assuming the guns are being controlled by a central Director/Predictor) probably wouldn't cause a miss, due to the sheer length of Capital Ships' hulls, forced errors in elevation might very well do so!

With regard to Shields;
    Very few Captains or Gunnery Officers would want to waste energy when there's zero likelihood of doing any damage to the enemy (the one possible exception being when the ship is trying to close the range to a longer-reached opponent, when a few guns firing would at least prevent morale damage to the crew - at least for that part of the crew who didn't know what was really going on!).

Therefore, a ship's Combat Range is likely to be coupled to the distance at which its guns can start hurting the enemy ship (probably when significant Shield degradation would start to take place), and is likely to vary class-by-class; e.g. 80 km for Capital Ships, 120 km (say) for Mid-sized types and 160 km for Starfighters.

Starfighters;
    Generally, Starfighters are too fast for Turbolasers, so why should a range be quoted? The answer is probably that a long-range shot (preferably a volley) into the middle of a formation might catch some Starfighters in close proximity to each other.

The Battle of Trafalgar Coruscant;
    The explanation for the suicidally close ranges in the opening sequence of RotS could probably be that a good many of the Republic ships had arrived from elsewhere and were trying to pin the Separatists against the planet. Under those circumstances a Republic ship could not afford to miss (as the planet would backstop any 'overs'!) and it would be better to risk the close-range fire of the enemy than the flak from the Senate! En-masse transfers to the Infantry have been heard of!

Well, that's my take on it! Thrown open for comment....

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  24. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Coooooooooooooooooooool.

25. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    You know how I'm, 77. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.