main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion will Disney unleash Pixar on Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Downunder, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They'll probably keep Lucasfilm Animation for animated Star Wars content.

fistofan1 likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Which is sort of funny, as pixar/lfl animation used to be practically the same thing. :p

3. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Yeah, Steve Jobs bought Graphics Group from George Lucas and turned it into Pixar.

As for a "kid friendly" Star Wars animated series, in addition to creating new things, in the immediate future I imagine they'll do something with Star Wars Detours. They'll probably put it on the Disney Channel or Disney XD. And they don't need Pixar for any of that. And Pixar is plenty busy doing their own stuff, I doubt they even time to do anything for Star Wars (and not that they would anyway).

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah leave Pixar as it is. They're doing fine.

fistofan1 and LawJedi like this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not sure Pixar would do a SW film since LFL will handle the films. However, I could foresee Pixar branching out to television and perhaps doing an animated series that bridges the gap between Eps 6 & 7.

But for the sake of continuity I could also see LFL using the same company that does TCW.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I doubt it, as others have said. Pixar does it's own thing. Even though they are all under the Disney ownership the companies are run like different entities still.

Alexrd and Echo-07 like this.
  7. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I would be up for a Pixar/Star Wars movie,but reality is it's probably NOT gonna happen.Lucasfilm has there own animation division and it will most likely stick to that.Plus honestly TCW animation is so good in the next 4-5 years they might just as good if not better then Pixar.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Beginning any new CG show from scratch requires slowly building up character models over a series of episodes. So the first few stories end up being rather spartan. Continuing a tweaked version of TCW style for another show just makes sense, because they've got so many assets created already. They're already created a basic character model for almost every alien in the movies! With that built up infrastructure, they could focus on more individualized character models, since a post-ROTJ world wouldn't be made up of clones and battle droids.

Can you tell that I really want that post-ROTJ show? [face_praying]

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ugnaughts throwing 3PO's head around like it was a basketball in ESB

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I can! And I would like it as well. Someone, I don't remember who, came up with this good idea.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I second the post ROTJ show idea, but if they do animated films I would prefer it be in the bioware animation style. [face_praying]

12. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    That's not very TV budget friendly. It's not even really animated movie budget friendly.

But to be fair, the Lucasfilm Animation team has really come a long way from the awkward voice syncs and programmed walks of TCW movie.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    My main problem with TCW animation is the way the characters heads and faces look. None of my friends will watch the show because of the animation. They all think it looks too "kiddie". I watched the movie and the whole first season, but I couldn't stick with it. Every time I watch the bioware stuff it just makes TCW look unimpressive. Is the bioware style really that much more expensive?

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well yeah, that's why Pixar characters still look the way they do. The Uncanny Valley, man. The closer you get to a realistic person, the more detailed and nuanced the animation has to be. Otherwise, it just looks cold.

Ain't nobody got time for dat! We gotta get these cartoons out on a weekly schedule. Apparently even motion capture is too much of a drag on production for TCW.

At the same time, the style has evolved a great deal. Newer characters are much more expressive, and the wood-block look is toned down. There's better lighting, more fabric and hair movement simulation (yes, the hair even moves now!), and the animation is about as good as you can get on TV.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Eh, I'd rather not see any overlap between the companies. The Pixar design is so iconic in and of itself that a SW movie in that style would just seem... awkward.

16. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I would rather them not make movies aimed at little kids.

17. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    That is a good question, and this is an excellent thread. My guess is that Lucasfilm Animation will survive. If another animated Star Wars show or movie comes out, I just can't imagine the name "Pixar" or "Walt Disny Pictures" appearing in the opening credits. To me, that would degrade the product, in some sense. I think Lucasfilm Animation will be allowed to continue making Star Wars TV shows and maybe even another animated feature film.

If Lucasfilm Animation was shut down, it wouldn't be the first time Disney has downsized an animation department. That was what happened with Walt Disney Animation after Pixar came along and Disney was starting to move away from traditional animation. I live in Central Florida, and I remember when the department at Disney Hollywood Studios was dismantled. There used to be a tour where you could actually watch Disney animators at work. Not anymore. I remember feeling a little sad when the news first went out. I hope the same fate doesn't await Lucasfilm Animation.

18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

If they hire anyone to do a CGI movie, it damn well better be Blur studios. They've earned it.

19. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    For sure, I don't know how much it would cost, but I wouldn't mind seeing a movie or tv show done with this quality of CGI.

20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Pixar 4 Howard the Duck

LawJedi likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The title of this thread is quite funny.
    "Pixar what is best in life?"
    "To crush DreamWorks Animation, see their films flop before you, and to hear the lamentations of fanboys."

22. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Would love to see a really good Ewoks pixar flick, actually. That could be a big draw-in for kids nowadays.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    When it comes to Pixar, if it aint broke don't fix it. Keep em separate......at least for now.

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I haven't watched more than a episode or two of Clone Wars. It just doesn't do it for me. But if the animation looked like the above clips I would check it out for sure. The cut scenes from those games are some of the best parts.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I imagine the production costs would be pretty steep to keep quality that high for a series.