main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 4 Reasons Why a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Movie Would Be Awesome

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Han Burgundy, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    First of all, I'm not talking about the games. I'm not asking for a movie version of the Revan story (though I wouldn't complain if that ever happened)

I'm talking about a movie that fully utilizes the unique setting that is the Old Republic era.

Let me explain, in 4 easy-to-digest in bullet points:

1. IT FREES THE WRITERS FROM HAVING TO CONNECT WITH OR RETCON ANY PREVIOUS STORY

There's more than 30,000 years of Republic History leading up to the times of the PT, and only a sliver of that has been told. A story set in this era would be completely free of any connections, retcons, or forced working-in of characters from previous movies. Also, unlike the Prequels, there's no predetermined ending. Anything can happen. It would essentially be the first time since ANH that we'd be going into a SW movie completely fresh, which brings me to...

2. A TOTALLY NEW VISUAL TONE/A MORE MYTHICAL TAKE ON STAR WARS

Sure, we've already seen through the prequels how much of a difference 30 years can make on how the galaxy looks, but KOTOR could stretch that so, so much further. Perhaps taking some inspiration from Tales of the Jedi, an Old republic era film could have a much more low-tech, almost Medieval style to it while still featuring that classic SW stuff like spaceships and lightsabers and giant cities.

This could extend to the storytelling in addition to the art direction. I imagine a KOTOR film could have a more fantastical, ancient-myth like tone to it, like dusty pages ripped from an ancient holocron* telling of heroic Jedi and battles of old. I could imagine a Lord-of-the-Rings-Like tone working well for these films.

3.LEGIONS OF JEDI AND SITH COEXISTING: A SCARIER SITH EMPIRE, A MORE HEROIC JEDI ORDER

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, what would you think of a sword battle on the scale of the Battle of Pelennor fields... but with lightsabers? This is something that could only truly be done in this era. Palpatines Empire was pretty much just a regular totalitarian empire that just happened to be (secretly) ruled by a Sith. If you asked a regular civilian at that time what a sith was, they probably either wouldn't know or would tell you they were bad guys they learned about in history class.

A true Sith Empire put on screen would be a quite different beast than the Empire of the OT. The relationship between Sith and their military like the one found in SW:TOR would be an interesting contrast to the relationship between the Jedi Order and the Republic. The Sith would openly run the government, and its people would be ruled by fear of the power of the dark side. Sith generals would command battalions of Imperial troopers as well as an infantry of lightsaber-wielding Sith Soldiers. Unlike the cold, lifeless Empire bound by the Rule of Two like Palpatine's, the Sith Empire of the Old Republic era would represent the full, menacing power of the dark side in all of its terrifying glory.

A greater Sith threat would call for a substantially larger Jedi Order to combat it. The Jedi Order seen in the PT is overly-conservative and pacifistic, made decadent by the thousand years of peace they have seen, too immersed in their own religious theology to look outside and notice the threats piling around them . But here's the thing: the Jedi Order couldn't have started out that way. Perhaps a KOTOR film could portray a more heroic Jedi order, one more popular in the face of the Sith threat, drawing more Jedi trainees into their ranks. Lets see some Jedi who aren't afraid to keep the peace in an appropriately aggressive fashion. The Jedi in this era should be the badass Knights we imagined when Alec Guiness talked of them in ANH, rather than chaste, impotent monks. And finally, speaking of Knights....

4. "KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC" IS A CATCHY TITLE

Seriously, it's perfect. It has a nice flow to it, it drums up images of medieval swashbuckling and grand adventure, and most importantly, it forms a pleasant acronym that phonetically works as a word unto itself. Try it. Try saying "Kotor" to yourself a couple times. It works, doesn't it?

With that, I leave the discussion to you, forum members. Whatddya think?

*I realize that holocrons don't have pages. Just thought it sounded cool.

2. dooku88

dooku88 Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2013
    I would not complain about such a film.

3. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I think it could be it's own spin-off trilogy, my 4 reasons why it would be awesome, the short version.

1. It's Star Wars
    2. No rule of two
    3. New characters
    4. It's Star Wars :cool:

4. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I think this would be a brilliant idea! Something like the seven battles of Ruusan would be brilliant!! Read darth bane novels if you font know what I'm talking about. Also This could bump up membership for the old republic MMORPG which I believe is suffering (just gone free online). Thoughts?

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Only 4 reasons? :)

Echo-07 and Graphic like this.
  6. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I wouldn't want a spinoff film, I'd want an animated series.

And I'd want an animated series, because then I can have something that goes on for years instead of just one two-and-half hour spinoff film.

So Akira Kurosawa's Ran in scale, only it's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. And its one continuous, years-long narrative, and not jumping around like the Clone Wars (or at least how the Clone Wars was, but not as much now).

SithLord_1270, FRAGWAGON and Graphic like this.
  7. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    You don't need four reasons to get me on board.

Boxster and Echo-07 like this.
  8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

IF they ever do a direct adaptation of the KOTOR video game, this would definitely be the best route to go. It would be like the way Walking Dead is adapted from the comic book series. A seasons long story that takes us with those characters would be amazing.

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    So overrated! Even as a game it was mediocre, as Star Wars it would be a very bad movie.

10. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    I throw my Money against the Screen, but nothing happens...

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Ignore my post above....ignored the original post. Sorry.....

ThatSanj likes this.
  12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I want this movie!!!

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Ever since Disney bought LFL and announced they plan to make SW indefinitely and release a new SW movie every 2 or 3 years I've been calling for a TOR series. It seems like a no-brainer to me as we could introduce a whole new cast of heroes and villains. There would be a ton of lightsaber battles. And it could go vitually anywhere, while still be set within the GFFA with all its alien species and planets and cool technology. Like I said, no-brainer.

Boxster likes this.
  14. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I totally agree. It would be a fantastic area for SW to reimagine itself. I know in my case at least, not being familar with the EU, I didnt know the rich universe that SW was capable of until I played the pc games. Rekindled my love for the saga. Going in this direction could really benefit this thing.

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Not into it, dunno just seems like it would go even further away from relatable characters.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Darth Revan

That is all

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Please use the EU thread at the top of the page. Locking.

yes it would be awesome

Lord Tuvitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.