main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Second To None--Sacrifices : L/M, TK/J, J/J, OCs: COMPLETE: 3/10/2013 with Fan Art

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Nov 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Oh Jacen Jacen... what have you gotten yourself into?

I love dad-Mark!

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Jacen WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!

The convo between Talon and Mark was cool. Talon Tantiss is one brave man.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks ginchy, EmeraldJediFire, Demendora, Briannakin, and Hazel For reading and reviewing. And a special thanks to ginchy, hazel and EmeraldJedifire for helping me throw ideas around for the next chapter. When I wrote this story in November I had Jacen as dark as he was in the profics, but I wanted to give him a happy ending, so I had a solution that was a bit harsh. But some of the readers expressed that they didn't want a dark Jacen. So he morphed into a really confused and desperate Jacen...which is a little better than the torturing psychopath he was in the profics. But therein lies the rub...how do I now justify something that would make sense for a Sith, but not a confused Jedi?

I have been working on it for a few days. So far I am not completely satisfied. I had a big chapter, but split it in half and hopefully I will figure out the second part of the chapter this weekend.

Once I get past this part I can begin on making everything right again...that starts after they leave Myrkr.

Thanks for reading!

~JL~

Myrkr

“Mark,” came the voice of Luke Skywalker from the front entrance of the building. “Can I see you a moment.”

Mark looked up and saw Luke standing in the doorway. “Sure.” He turned to his son, Talon. “I’ll talk to you later.”

He jogged over to where Luke was holding the door open for him. “Is Jacen awake?”

Luke shook his head. “Not yet. I talked to Leia. Her and Han are on their way here. They were on Coruscant so it might be a couple days. When Jacen does wake up, I’d like you in the room. You are the only one who can sense if he is being deceptive or not.”

Mark nodded. “I’m going to be your lie-detector machine.”

“Exactly.”
    As Jacen lay motionless in bed pretending to sleep, he became more and more distraught by the situation he brought upon himself, his family and the Jedi Order.

It became very clear that something went very wrong with the nanovirus. People were dead and more were dying. He no longer had any illusions of salvaging his own life. His dreams of safeguarding his family and maybe one day openly living with his wife and daughter were now smashed beyond repair, and he had nobody to blame but himself. He had gone against everything he was taught as a Jedi and now people are suffering. He deserved to be punished and if he knew he'd be the only person who would be held accountable for his actions he would gladly confess his roll in the nanovirus epidemic. Unfortunately, he knew the Hapans would scream for more than just his blood.

Jacen was a Jedi and the son of the former New Republic Chief of State. The anti-Jedi Hapan populace would use his actions to damn the entire Jedi Order. There could also be repercussions to the Galactic Alliance. The Jedi had recently pledged allegiance to the G.A.; his actions could cause a rift between the Alliance and Consortium.

And Force forbid if it is ever discovered that Allana’s father was the man who was responsible for the death of so many Royals. Tenel Ka would be ousted from the monarchy and her and Allana’s lives would be endangered.

Jacen needed to do whatever he could to distance himself from the Jedi Order and the Galactic Alliance just in case the nanovirus was linked to him. Perhaps if he could get the Jedi Grand Master to banish him from the Order it would make it more difficult for the Hapans to demand that the Jedi be held responsible for Jacen’s actions.

Jacen felt a sickening drop in his stomach as the full impact of his foolish decisions hit him. He had become a problem and liability to all the people in his life. There was no way he could repair the immense devastation he had visited upon his family, but perhaps he could mitigate some of the damage. He wasn't sure exactly how that could be done, but he had a feeling they would be better off if he just disappeared, never to be seen again.

Luke and Mark walked down to the room where Jacen lay cuffed to the bed. Luke entered the chamber first and nodded to Jaina and Jaden. “Still unconscious I see.”

“He hasn’t stirred at all,” Jaina said with worry in her voice.

Mark’s large frame filled the doorway as he stared at Jacen intently. “He’s awake. He’s just pretending to be asleep. Open your eyes Jacen.”

The young man on the bed sighed as he blinked open his eyes. “Please don’t stun or sedate me again.” His voice was low and radiated defeat and depression. “I won’t give you any more trouble.”

Luke looked over to Mark as if waiting for a confirmation. Mark nodded. “I believe him.” He went over and removed the cuff holding Jacen’s hand to the bedpost, but kept the leg shackles secure. Jacen sat up and rubbed his chaffed wrists.

“Jaina, can you go get him some water and food,” Luke said to his neice.

Jaina lifted herself off the floor where she had been sitting. “I’ll be right back.”

“Jaden,” Mark said. “Why don’t you go help her…and take your time.”

“Yes, Sir,” Jaden said as he followed his cousin down the hallway.

When they left Luke closed the door behind them. He turned to his nephew and gazed at him through cynical eyes. “Jacen we would like some questions answered…truthfully. “

Jacen didn’t respond. He sat head bent, avoiding his uncle's gaze.

“Jacen did you hear me?” Luke said a little more forcefully.

“Yes,” Jacen muttered in a despondent strangled voice.

“Why were you with Lumiya?”

Jacen took a deep breath. “She was training me. She said the dark prophets had foreseen an ancient evil coming to our galaxy and only a Master of the Unifying Force could defeat it. She wasn’t strong enough in the Force to train for the confrontation…so she decided to train me on dark side techniques.”

Luke looked over to Mark who simply nodded.

Mark could see Luke visibly brace himself before he asked the next question. “Why did you attack Mara?”

Jacen brought his hands up and covered his face. “Uncle Luke, it was an accident. I thought I had a tranquilizer dart. I am so, so sorry.” Tears escaped from between his fingers. “I loved Aunt Mara. I’m so sorry she dead. I am so sorry.”

Luke gave Mark a questioning look. “You didn’t tell him?”

Mark shrugged. “No, he was denying he attacked her. I figured if he knew he couldn’t lie his way out of the situation he would be harder to control.”

Luke closed his eyes and forcefully exhaled. “Mark do you think that maybe the knowledge that he killed his Aunt might explain some of his irrational behavior?”

Mark ran a hand through his hair nervously as a feeling of shame crept into his belly. “Umm…now that I think about it…it might explain a lot of things.” He gave Luke an apologetic look. “Sorry, but in my defense, I was being affected by the dark side and wasn’t thinking clearly.” Mark hesitated then let his shoulders slump. “And maybe part of me wanted him to suffer…to feel the burden and guilt for her death for a longer period of time.”

“What are you two talking about?” Jacen asked as he stared at his uncles in confusion.

“Jacen, Mara did die, but Mark brought her back using a Sith technique he knew from Palpatine’s memories. That’s why his eyes are yellow and that’s how we know you attacked Mara…because she told us.”

Jacen let out a relieved gasp and appeared to have trouble regaining his breath. “She’s alive,” he finally choked out. “Thank the Force.”

“Jacen, why did you want to Tranquilize Mara?” Luke asked slowly.

Jacen turned his head away unable to look at his uncle in the eyes. “I was told it was a way to make her forget she saw me with Lumiya.”

There was some hesitation as Mark tried to gauge the validity of his nephew’s statement. “He’s telling the truth, Luke.”

“Jacen…why were you on Kavan. It’s not a place one would imagine two Sith would gather to train. Why were you meeting her there?”

Jacen’s head dropped and he shook his head refusing to talk.

Luke walked closer to his nephew and dropped a hand on his shoulder. “Jacen, we can’t help you if you don’t talk to us.”

The dark haired man shook his head more adamantly. “I don’t want your help. I want out. Out of the Order…out of everything. Uncle Mark was right. I went dark. I’m Sith and I am ready for my punishment.”

Luke’s brow furrowed in confusion. "I was told you absolutely denied being Sith, but now you are confessing?” Luke looked over to Mark who simply shrugged.

Mark wasn’t certain what was going on with Jacen. He felt deception, but also truthfulness and he wasn’t sure what part was the lie.

Jacen’s head came up defiantly. “I’m resigning from the Jedi. Bring me to the GA Law Enforcement. I’ll confess to attacking Mark and Aunt Mara.” He then hastily averted his eyes, not wanting to see his uncle’s reaction.

Luke gazed at his nephew in confusion. “Jacen, we don’t want to put you in jail or remove you from the order. We want to help you and bring you back to your family and the order. My father was redeemed after twenty years as a Sith. You are salvageable.”

Jacen shook his head sadly. “You’re wrong. Darth Vader wanted to be redeemed at the end. I don’t want redemption. I want nothing to do with the Jedi and my family. I just want all of this to be over.”

Luke rubbed his temples where a headache was forming. “I don’t understand any of this Jacen.”

“You don’t have to Uncle Luke. You have to face the fact I am a fallen Jedi that needs to be banished from the order and face justice.”

There was a soft rap on the door. Mark opened the door and allowed Jaina and Jaden to come in with food and drink. Jacen reached up and readily took a proffered bottle of water which he drank greedily. When he was finished he went to hand the empty bottle back to his sister, but then pulled it back and looked up to Mark. “Can somebody bring me to the ‘fresher? Or do I have to use the bottle again?”

Luke turned to Mark and gave him a questioning raise of an eyebrow.

Mark ignored his inquisitive look. “I’ll bring you to the ‘fresher,” he said as he uncuffed Jacen’s feet. “Come on, I’ll show you where it is. And remember, if you attack me again….”

“Yeah, I know,” Jacen mumbled. “You will either stun me or drown my sorry ass in the toilet.”

“What?” Mark heard Jania exclaim as the two men left the room and moved down the hallway.

They entered a multi-stall latrine. Mark checked it out first before waving for Jacen in. After Jacen finished his business and was washing his hands, Mark’s curiosity got to him. “Jacen why are you doing this? I didn’t sense deceit when you said you didn’t want to hurt your Aunt Mara. Why are you throwing your life away?”

Jacen put his hands on the sink counter and leaned heavily on the durasteel countertop. His head was down and pensive for a moment. When he looked up he gave his uncle a sad and trodden look. “Mark, Jaden once told me that you've kept Palpatine’s memories a secret for over twenty years. You refuse to tell Uncle Luke or anybody the things you know. Jaden said you swore those secrets would die with you. Why?”

Mark was a little confused at the change of subject. “Because nothing good can come from me revealing those secrets…only bad.”

“That’s why I’m doing this. The Jedi are better off not knowing some things.”

Mark stared at him intently. “What’s scary is I sense you are telling the truth.”

Jacen nodded. “I need the Jedi to distance themselves from me. I won’t cooperate with my Uncle Luke any further. I have told you everything I will tell. It’s time to accept my fate.”

“Jacen, you may be ready to accept your fate, but I don’t think your family is ready.” Mark said softly. “I know I’m not ready.”

Jacen frowned. “Then you better get ready, Uncle.”

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    :( the last two lines just made me sad. I liked how you changed Jacen's from the sith to a confused Jedi.

5. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I liked this it was well done....the drown my ass in the toilet still has me laughing

6. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Confused Jacen is better than dark Jacen any day. I can't wait to see how you're going to Ark this out.

EmeraldJediFire likes this.
  7. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    There's no way out of this mess for Jacen now. If only he can tell them the truth, maybe they will be able to help him somehow. On the other hand, I understand, why he wont tell anyone about this.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Demendora, Hazel, EmeraldJediFire, and Briannakin for reading. Gods! These last two chapters really were tough for me. I bugged so many people asking them for advice (waves as ginchy and hazel). I had a tough time trying to explain Jacen's thinking. The bottom line is if Lumiya is found to be the person who delivered the virus...then Luke would probably guess that Jacen was involved. Jacen doesn't want to save his own butt, but he knows if the Hapans realize Lumiya did the assassination...they wouldn't immediately figure Jacen was involved. But if Luke discovered her part in the deaths he would put two-and-two together and realize this is what Jacen is hiding. Luke would report to the senate and then the scat would hit the fan. Jacen wanted to distance himself from the Jedi before his role in the Hapan plague is discovered.

After this post we start to fix things and hopefully I will come to a solution that will be acceptable to most people.

Myrkr

Jacen was allowed to eat and shower that afternoon. He remained uncuffed, but somebody stayed with him at all times.

True to his word Jacen didn’t answer further questions. It was a difficult decision, but he had to do everything he could to conceal his involvement with the Hapan epidemic. He knew if he confessed to ordering the nanovirus his uncle would immediately report that fact to the Galactic Alliance despite the very real possibility of horrific political repercussions.

He would confess to the attempted murder his aunt and uncle and would gladly spend the rest of his life in jail, but he couldn’t let the Jedi get involved with virus mess he created. To make matters worse, Jacen was told his parents were on the way to Myrkr. He absolutely didn’t want to face them. He couldn’t bear to hear his mother’s heartbroken sobs or see the disappointed look on his father’s face.

He had to escape and disappear, perhaps to the unknown regions or outer core, areas where people went when they didn’t want to be found. If he were gone there was a chance that his Uncle Luke would keep quiet about Jacen's possible involvement in the viral crisis...unleast until Jacen could be tracked down by the Jedi and brought to justice. But first he needed to get off this Force-forsaken planet. And the first step was getting away from his family.

Presently he was in the facility’s dayroom. It was late at night, but he couldn’t sleep and had asked his cousin Jaden if he could watch the HoloNet. Jaden agreed since he had to remain awake to guard Jacen anyway. They had gone to the dayroom and Jaden tossed Jacen the remote control. Unfortunately, Karrde’s base only received two channels and it was either the history channel or a Holo-mercial about male enhancing thinskin briefs. Jacen decided to watch a history show about the Kobola Miners of Naboo.

During a HoloNet intermission, Jacen glanced up to his cousin. Jaden wasn’t paying attention to the HoloNet. Instead he was totally engrossed by something on his datapad.

“What are you reading, Jaden?”

“What?” His cousin looked up. “Oh, it’s a medical report.”

“About Hapes,” Jacen ventured.

“Yes,” Jaden said before he went back to reading.

“I heard you talking about the epidemic. How many are dead now?” Jacen asked with great trepidation.

“Umm…just a second.” Jaden pushed some buttons and scrolled the screen down before he answered. “Fourteen dead and fifty-six remain hospitalized.”

Jacen’s shoulders slumped as a sick and overwhelming feeling of remorse rolled over him. He couldn’t live with this guilt; it was tearing him up inside. He needed to get away from the people he loved for their own sake.

He slowly stood as he formulated a plan. “Jaden I need to go to the ‘fresher.”

“Oh, okay.” His cousin stood up and put down his datapad. “Let’s go.”

Jacen knew Jaden was probably the weakest of the Jedi when it came to combat. He was an intellectual whereas his brother Talon was deadly on the battlefield. Jacen knew if he wanted to escape it would have to be now when his cousins and uncles were asleep and only Jaden was wake.

As the two men entered the ‘fresher, he quickly spun and landed a hard right hand blow across Jaden’s face. Jacen’s cousin staggered, falling to one knee as blood dripped from his mouth and nose. He gazed up at Jacen with a sad look of shock and betrayal.

“I’m sorry Jaden,” Jacen said as he moved in to strike him again. He was surprised when Jaden rolled to the side and forcefully kicked out with his leg connecting his boot into Jacen’s groin.

Jacen bit down on his bottom lip stifling a scream as he grabbed his crotch and staggered back, falling heavily against the ‘fresher wall. He glared at Jaden who was sitting dazed on the floor. “Who taught you that move? Your father?” Jacen sneered.

Jaden spit blood out of his mouth. “No, my mother.”

He could see his cousin draw in a deep breath readying to call out the alarm. Jacen lunged at Jaden clasping a hand over his mouth. His cousin struggled bringing a hand up to push Jacen away. Unfortunately for his Jaden, hand-to-hand combat was one of Jacen’s strengths. Corran Horn had been Jacen’s Master. Master Horn lacked the ability to do telekinesis and therefore endeavored to offset that inability by stressing lightsaber and close-in fighting…skills which he passed on to Jacen.

Jacen spun around his cousin positioning himself behind him. He snaked an arm around Jaden’s neck and wrestled him into a rear blood-choke hold. He squeezed Jaden’s neck, putting pressure on his carotid arteries and slowly restricting blood to the brain. If done correctly it would render the victim unconscious in seconds, if done incorrectly it could cause death. He brought his mouth down to Jaden’s ear and whispered. “Stop fighting! Just relax and sleep.”

To Jaden’s credit, he fought until the very end, but eventually he went limp. Jacen lowered the man to the floor and checked for a pulse. He gave a sigh of relief when he realized he was alive.

He struggled to his feet, still feeling the effects of the powerful kick to the gonads. He leaned against the wall as he looked down at his hands. They were covered with Jaden’s blood. He sadly reflected on the symbolism. He had a feeling that before the end of the week a lot more blood would be on his hands. He just hoped it would be figuratively, and not literally.
    Jacen ran out of the building and into the warm night air of Myrkr. The night sky was ablaze with stars. It would be a beautiful sight under other circumstances, but now was not the time for stargazing. He quickly moved to the shuttles hoping they were left unsecured. If he could get into space he could disappear. When he was on his search for Force knowledge he managed to remain incognito for years. He could do it again.

He tried to unlock the boarding ramps of the various ships but was unsuccessful. “Frack!” Jacen swore in frustration. He turned and gazed at the forest surrounding Karrde’s hidden base. He remembered the stories his parents told him about Mara and Luke’s adventures on Myrkr. He knew Hyllyard City was a two-day walk north from the base. If he could make it there he might be able to arrange passage off planet. Hell, he had access to some of Tenel Ka’s secret bank accounts; he could buy his own ship if need be.

He walked to the edge of the old growth forest and stood in thought. He knew about the wildlife of Myrkr. All the Jedi knew of the ysalamiri, but few have ever seen a Vornskr, the vicious canine species that hunted in these forests. Jacen had seen one of the terrifying animals as a boy when his family visited Talon Karrde. Karrde once had two of the animals as pets, but one died on Wayland as it attacked the Dark Jedi Joruus C’baoth. Karrde’s surviving Vornskr was tamed, but Jacen remembered vividly the rows of sharp teeth that lined the animal’s strong muscular jaws. They were ruthless, nocturnal predators.

He looked back to Karrde’s compound and stared at the exterior lights. He could go back, be quiet and hope that Lumiya’s connection to the Hapan plague wasn’t discovered and therefore his complicity established. Or he could take his chances in the forest. Of course, the possibility of making it out of the forest at night while unarmed was slim. As he stared into the blackness he realized he really didn’t care if he made it to Hyllyard City or not. One way or another this situation would be over.

He took a deep breath and made a decision as he slowly entered the dark forest.

Mark woke with a start, gasping for air. He sat up and listened. He didn’t hear anything, but he knew something was not right. He stood and pulled on his trousers and holster and rushed down to Jacen’s room. He found the chamber empty, but he heard the HoloNet on down the hall. He ran down to the dayroom only to find Jaden’s abandoned datapad. He sprinted down the galley and when he found nothing he went to the ‘fresher. There he found his son sprawled out on the floor. “Jaden!” Mark screamed and he went to check on his son’s condition. The young man was alive, but unconscious. Mark stood and ran out into the hallway. “We have an escape!”
    Jacen moved as quickly as he could through the forest…, which wasn’t fast at all. Without the Force he had to rely on the meager amount of light provided from the stars above to help him navigate through the heavy brush. He held his hands out in an effort to avoid running into low hanging branches. He should have taken the time to search for a lightstick from the base before he dashed off, but that was just another bad decision stacked upon dozens of other horrible decisions he had made lately.

He stopped when he heard the snapping of branches and twigs up ahead in the underbrush. Something large was moving up ahead. Jacen’s eyes jerked upwards when he heard a snarl in the trees above followed by the thud of an animal leaping from one branch to another.

There was movement in the thicket in front of him. Out of the darkness the outline of a large beast materialized. It growled and snarled as it cautiously approached. Another Vornskr came out of the bushes from the side and the first beast immediately attacked the interloper, obviously not wanting to share his meal. After a short, but brutal struggle the second animal retreated. The larger Vornskr turned his attention back to Jacen. The animal recoiled a step when the deafening sound of a sizeable creature rushing though the underbrush could be heard behind Jacen.

Jacen cautiously turned and peered into the dense, dark forest trying to catch sight of the animal that could startle a vornskr. After a few seconds he could see the movement of trees parting as they were snapped and shoved aside by something large. Jacen tried to remember if there were predators larger than Vornskrs in the Myrkr timberlands, but he couldn’t remember. He turned back to the animal in front of him that was edging its way closer despite the sound of the larger predator approaching. The animal’s eyes glowed as it hunkered down to pounce on Jacen.

Jacen gave a caustic laugh as he realized the irony. The great Jedi that was to be the Master of the Unifying Force and save the galaxy was now dinner for a Vornskr.

The beast let out a feral scream as he bounded toward Jacen. He knew Tenel Ka wouldn’t be able to sense his death or his dying message but he closed his eyes and tried to send it anyway, ‘I’m so sorry for what I have done. Forgive me. Goodbye.’

He expected to feel the harsh impact of the animal against his chest and its hot breath as it’s powerful jaws closed around his throat, but instead he heard the shot of a blaster echoing in the night. The vornskr shrieked and Jacen heard a thud in front of him. He opened his eyes to see a Vornskr lying at his feet, its eyes closed and breathing labored. Jacen turned in the direction of the blaster shot and saw his Uncle Mark standing there, weapon in hand and a trail of broken trees behind him. He must have Force-burst his way though the woods as he ran.

“I wish you didn’t do that.”

Mark gave Jacen a steady gaze. “Don’t worry, its only stunned. I have a soft spot for Vornskrs.” He turned the blaster at Jacen. “What I don’t have is sympathy for the man who attacked my son. Jaden’s a healer…he’s the closest thing to a Jedi pacifist you can get.” He moved closer and activated a lightstick. “Is that his blood all over you?”

Jacen’s cheeks suffused with shame. “Yes. I left him alive.”

“Of course he’s alive, or else you’d be dead.”

“Then I guess I should have killed him,” Jacen said emotionlessly.

His uncle glared at him coldly. “You don’t mean that Jacen. He’s your family.”

Jacen didn’t flinch from Mark’s gaze. “You’re not my family. I have no family. And I’m not going to let you take me in.” Jacen turned and was able to run a few steps before he felt the familiar pain of a stunbolt running through him.

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Jacen is bating Mark? He's definitely suicidal. :(

Por Jaden! No breaks for the nice guy.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh Jacen. He'd rather see the ultimate end now the have to suffer until all the trials and questions and disappointed looks.

11. Demendora

Apr 9, 2010
    I can't imagine the level of guilt he is feeling now. For him the death is much better now. Disappointed faces of the parents and the tears of the mother. Such anount of grief, caused by his hand. So many lives are destroyed. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now.

12. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I just want to give him a big hug. Can't wait for the next chapter..Poor Leia....i just can only imagine that confrontation.

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I like the changes you made to the Jaden and Jacen fight. Jacen is a man with nothing to lose now, and that's someone who is scary to face in a fight. I like Mark saying, "Of course he's alive or you'd be dead". Mark is all about family and this situation with Jacen does not figure into that. I can only imagine the pain Han and Leia are going to be in. Intense update, gal!!

14. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Still no one thinks that Lumiya might have been telling the truth about a greater danger. Does no one think to look? If the crap hits the fan later, they can't say that they weren't warned.

'I don't have sympathy for someone who attacks my son.' Mark, you have shown a considerable LACK of sympathy for Jacen at all; YOU wrote him off as Sith from the beginning.

I agree with Demendora, there really is no way out of this, at least no way that leaves Jacen with any useful future. Or is that the plan? I'd rather see him die than become even more incompetent than he already is.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Well, I am looking at my rough draft and I found a way to give him a useful future...but if you want me to kill him instead....;)

Really, am I doing anything worse to Jacen than the profic authors did? I have him making bad choices, but the only thing he really meant maliciously is to kill Ta'a Chume...and you said that was a good idea.

If things are looking a little rough for Jacen it is because the first draft had him evil just like in the profics and I found a way for him to be saved despite him being Sith. But a lot of readers are Jacen fans like you and asked for me not to make him pure evil. So for the Jacen fans, I softened up Jacen's character so he's not a crazed killer like in the profics. But that changed things with the plot. I would rather not write the entire story over, so I had to make Jacen appear a little violent and crazed to others so this avenue to restoring his place with the Jedi would work. Otherwise the story wouldn't make sense. Of course half of the profics don't make sense...but I guess fanfic authors are held to a higher standard by their readers....because their readers have pretty much direct contact with them and can express their distaste for what is written.

As for investigating Lumiya's great threat...Lumiya herself told Mark she didn't know what the danger was. All Jacen and Lumiya told them is the dark prophets had predicted something coming. Now, they can run off to Dromund Kaas to talk to the prophets, but they consider Jacen more important now. Don't worry, the great evil will be taken care of by the warrior foretold by the prophets. I don't know if I gave enough hints as to who that is...but it will get taken care of.

16. Demendora

Apr 9, 2010
    no, please! Make the things right! Fix all this mess, that stupid prific authors created!

17. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm not so naive as to think that EVERYONE is going to put some sort of limitations on him (even though he did NO 'Sithly' acts) and he's going to have to 're-earn our trust'. How does he do that? And how long will they hold this over his head? This will come up every time he does something unorthodox.

Is Mark going to trust him again? Mara? Luke? Not a chance in hell. Tenel Ka's NOT going to stay with him after his role in the nano-virus becomes public, so he's NOT going to be able to be 'Daddy'. He could probably get acceptance from Jaina and Leia (if your using 'profic' Han, his father won't), but to do what? Become a hermit? How is that useful? He could probably go the same route as Kyp, trying forever to atone, but that's tough to protray in a relatively short story. Heck, profic has only done a mediocre job with Kyp, and they've had YEARS.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Then stop reading SiouxFan if you don't think I can pull this off. Everybody else thinks I can pull this off...but I doubt anything I write will satisfy everybody.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! Very much edge-of-seatness. I think Jacen is lashing out more from hopelessness and guilt than anything malicious. [face_thinking] I like both Jaden and Talon -- :) and seeing the happy intact Tantiss family has to grate too because all Jacen tried to do to keep his family safe -- it is snowballing out of control :( ... I know there won't be any "comfy" solutions. @};-

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is true. And to make things worse, Jaden and Talon claim the Solo and Skywalkers as family, but they also have Kira's family. So they have living grandparents that dote on them and two more uncles with Shon and Jaycen Starkos.

Jacen sees Anakin with his growing family, his sister is obviously in love, Talon reportedly has tons of women...Jaden will get married later on to somebody that totally freaks out Mark...but that will be seen later...so it is frustrating. By the epilogue I will have everybody married off or paired up with somebody. Only one person doesn't have the perfect storybook ending...and it's not Jacen.

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    They way I see it is...in a perfect world..everyone would get their happily ever after...but things are seldom perfect...even in Star Wars...even though we wish them to be...their will be one factor that will be unaffected..sometimes one thing has to be sacrificed for the rest to be right. And not everything ends up just or fair..because that's not reality and sometimes things happen.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hence the title SACRIFICES. ;) Somebody is going to have to sacrifice a lot to make this right.

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Take for instance, the Death Star. It had to be destroyed, but not much thought was given to the living people on board because they were the enemy and the DS was a far greater threat and the Alliance didn't have time to think on whether they might be killing innocent people along with it...

But they had to do it or other worlds beside Alderaan would fall victim tot he Empire

Even Luke didn't think of this till much later in the profics..in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. He doesn't like to be lauded for destroying the Death Star, because he realizes how many real people had to be sacrificed..he doesn't take joy in that.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks EmeraldJediFire for your comments. Star Wars is full of bad decisions and huge plot holes...I am trying my best to keep the same style. :p

@Jade_eyes - Jacen is the hardest character for me to figure out when it comes to how he would react to the Hapan crisis. I have a lot of experiences in my life, but feeling guilty for the death of dozens is luckily not something I have experienced. I would assume that a Jacen not hardened by the Vong War would be upset and crushed by the way he kriffed up his life.

@Demendora thanks for the vote of confidence.

@ginchy-thanks for blowing off work today to throw ideas back and forth with me. I hope the plot I explained to you met the ginchy seal of approval. Maybe you can write a shine for me. LOL! I can think of one pretty hot situation that would be awesome! ;)

@Hazel -- poor Jaden. He is a gentle soul. I see him as a pacifist in a way. He will pick up a blaster or lightsaber, but he'd rather help heal people than kill them. But that is the way I see Cilghal. I don't recall her whipping out her lightsaber and going into combat, but she may have.

@Briannakin - Things hopefully will improve for Jacen soon. The solution Han comes up with probably won't be popular, though.

I am posting a small chapter. Originally the chapter was over 4000 words and I thought that was a bit lengthy, so I cut it in half. I hope you like this little post.

I have no idea why my tags for Briannakin, Hazel, ginchy, Demendora and Jade_eyes aren't working above.

Myrkr

Jacen collapsed to the forest floor as a stunbolt blast struck him in back. Mark turned to where the shot originated and found Luke Skywalker standing there with blaster drawn.

“Thanks Luke," Mark said somewhat relieved. "If I shot Jacen again I’m sure Jaden would have a fit.”

Luke aimed his blaster to the branches above as he scanned the area. “After that beating Jacen gave your son I really doubt he would give you any grief about another stunning.”

“You may be right,” Mark went over to his unconscious nephew and bent down next to him, checking his condition. “Luke, that was a close one. We could have lost him,” he said sadly as he picked up Jacen and hoisted the Jedi over his shoulder.

“That was too close for comfort,” Luke observed as he gave Mark a curious look. “What was he doing out here?”

“I think he was trying to escape to Hyllyard City,” Mark said as he started walking back to the base.

Luke fell in step next to him and gave an incredulous shake of the head. “That’s suicide.”

“I don’t think his safety really mattered to him at that point.” Mark gave Luke a knowing look. “I sensed a man who had given up all hope…Jacen didn’t care if he lived or died.”

Luke gave a soft sigh as he carefully stepped over the broken and snapped branches leading back to the compound. The Grand Master looked over the devastation in a mixture of awe and surprise. “Force shoves and blasts were never your specialty…I am impressed at how you demolished your way through the trees with such power.”

Mark gave Luke a shy smile. “I was taught by the very best…and never underestimate the power of adrenaline, fear and dread.”

As they approached Karrde’s base Jaina and Ben ran up to check on Jacen.

“Is he okay?” Jaina asked as she tried to assess her brother’s condition while he bounced up and down on his uncle’s shoulder.

“He’s just stunned,” Luke reassured her.

Mark saw Jaden up ahead. He was leaning on Talon’s shoulder for support while he holding an icepack to his chin.

“Are you okay, Jaden?” his father asked anxiously.

The young man gave his father a sheepish look. “Yeah, my pride is wounded worse than my face.”

“That’s good.” He gave his son a smirk. “I want to let you know I didn’t stun Jacen. So don’t yell at me.”

“At this point Dad, I may whip out a blaster and stun him a few times myself. I can’t believe he hit me.”

“And choked you out,” Talon reminded his brother.

Jaden frowned. “Shut up, Talon.”

“Mark,” Luke spoke up. “Get him inside and this time we do sedate him.” He turned to Jaden. “Can we keep him under until the Solos get here?”

Jaden nodded. “I have the medicine to sedate him, but somebody needs to volunteer for ‘fresher duty, because I’ll catheter him before I escort him to the latrine again.”

Talon cringed at the thought but then gave an amused snort. “Serves him right. If you punch the doctor bringing you to the ‘fresher get ready for the rubber hose.”

“Knock it off, Talon,” Mark commented. He knew joking was Talon’s coping mechanism while in stressful situations, but Mark could see Jaina was not amused.

“Do what you need to do, Jaden.” Luke said then marched back into the building.
    Late that afternoon, Talon Tantiss ran into the dayroom to inform Luke and Mark of the Han and Leia’s impending arrival. “The Millennium Falcon just broke atmosphere and should land shortly.”

“Thanks Talon,” Mark replied as he stood and straightened his overly tight tunic. He didn’t want to greet Leia and Han in his blood stained shirt he had worn the day Lumiya had met her end. He had borrowed a shirt from Talon. The boy was big, but not as big as his father and the shirt hugged his frame uncomfortably. Mark glanced over to Luke. “How do you think this meeting is going to go?”

Luke shrugged. “Badly, I don’t know how it could possibly go well. I have to tell my sister her son not only tried to kill my wife, but you and your son and now he appears to be suicidal.”

“I don’t think Jacen is that bad off,” Mark said as he walked down the corridor with Luke. “It’s true that he attacked three of his family members, but I am fairly certain I’m the only one he actually intended to kill.”

Luke gave a snort of disbelief. “Oh, well, I guess that makes it alright then.”

Mark shook his head. “Not acceptable, but it mitigates the situation somewhat…and to be honest, I’m used to it…people are always trying to kill me.”

Luke laughed despite the seriousness of the situation. “That is true. I think I’m the only person with more time in a bacta tank than you.”

They walked out to the front courtyard where Ben, Jaina and Talon stood, all peering into the harsh light of the Myrkr sky awaiting the approach of Han’s ship.

“There it is,” Jaina said while pointing just above the treeline.

Luke squinted into the sunlight and eventually saw the familiar outline of the Millennium Falcon as it approached. Luke glanced over to Mark who was grinning broadly. “I thought you were nervous about seeing the Solos.”

Mark turned to Luke and smirked. “I am,” he said cryptically.

“Then why are you grinning like a Kowakian Monkey lizard on spice?”

Mark’s grin grew broader as the Falcon landed in an open field near the crowded landing platform. “I don’t want to ruin Han’s surprise.”

The group strode over to the ship and watched as the boarding ramp slowly lowered. The first person out was Leia. She was dressed in a casual tunic with trousers, but her face was a portrait of sadness and sheer apprehension. Jaina ran up to her mother and embraced her. When they separated Leia held her daughter’s shoulders and gazed at her sadly. “How is Jacen?”

Jaina looked like she was going to cry. “Physically he’s fine. Mentally…I don’t know.”

Luke looked over to Mark who was watching the ramp expectantly with a slight smile still on his lips. He was about to ask him what he was hiding when he heard Ben scream out, “Mom!”

Luke’s head swung around to the Falcon and saw his wife slowly moving down the ramp as Han hovered next to her protectively. A wide smile blossomed across Luke’s face as he raced toward Mara. Ben beat him to her and practically crushed his mother in a big hug.

“Easy Ben, your mother is not quite up to peak condition,” Han pointed out. “Try not to squash her.”

Neither Ben nor Mara seemed to hear the former smuggler’s warning. They held each other tightly, crying on each other’s shoulders. “Gods, Mom,” Ben sobbed. “I was so afraid you wouldn’t recover. You were dead…” Ben’s voice cracked and faltered for a moment. “Dead.”

Mara tried to say something but the stormy emotions of the moment rendered her speechless. She instead kissed her son on the cheek and then rested her forehead on his shoulder as tears slipped down her cheek and onto his tunic.

Luke walked up to them and put a hand on Ben’s shoulder. The young man looked up and gave his father a wane smile. “Sorry for monopolizing her Dad.” He stepped away allowing Luke time to give Mara a proper greeting.

Luke gazed at her lovingly for a brief moment before he pulled her into his arms and gave her a deep, soft kiss. It was a kiss of love, hope and relief. He broke the kiss and hugged her tightly as he buried his face in the crook of her neck. “I don’t know what I would have done if I lost you,” he whispered to her fiercely as tears of joy streamed down his face.

She pulled away so she could look him in the eyes. “I don’t even want to consider being apart ever again.” She kissed him tenderly. “I love you and Ben so much.”

Luke smiled. “I love you too.” He looked up to Han who was standing nearby looking uncomfortable with the overt display of emotion. “Thanks Han for bringing her.”

Han shrugged. “It’s not like I had a choice. Your wife can be quite insistent when she wants to be.” Han looked down at the ground nervously. “Besides, I was told my son was the reason she was in the condition she was in.”

Luke’s shoulders slumped. “Yes, he was.” He pointed to building behind him. “He’s inside. I guess we should go in and discuss the situation.”

Han didn’t look Luke in the eye but merely nodded.

Luke put an arm over Mara’s shoulder and turned toward the building. It was then that Mara saw Mark. Her eyes locked on his as she broke away from Luke and marched over to him. She gazed into his yellow stained eyes and shuddered. “Mark,” she said grimly, “You turned to the dark side to save me.”

He gave her an apologetic half smile. “Yes,” he admitted.

She smacked him across the chest. “You’re an idiot.”

Mark’s eyes went wide but his smile didn’t falter. In fact he laughed at her response.

“Mom tells him that all the time,” Talon pointed out from where he stood behind his father.

“Be quiet Talon,” Mark said with a glance over his shoulder. He turned back to Mara. “Mara, did you expect less from me? I would die for my family…you, Luke, Kira, Jaden,” he glanced over to his smart mouth son, “And maybe Talon.”

“That hurts, Dad.” Talon said with a sarcastic tone.

Mara put a hand on Mark’s chest. “I know you would, but the dark side…I love you for bringing me back to my family…but that was so dangerous.”

Mark reached down and took her hands in hers. “I would do anything for my family. Anything!” He gave Mara’s hands a squeeze. “Besides, I sense you’re not angry with me, just worried.”

She raised an eyebrow. “And how do you sense that on this Force-Forsaken world?

Luke came up behind Mara and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “That’s a long story. Let’s get out of the hot sun and we’ll tell you all about it.”

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Aw! What a wonderful surprise and wonderful family reunion [face_love]

Lol. I feel for Talon, no one ever appreciates the peanut gallery.