main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Help! : ) Ripping my DVD collection, starting with TPM

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zane the Reaper, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Hey guys - I hope this is the right forum for this. If not, many apologies.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with ripping my DVD collection to digital format, starting with my copy of The Phantom Menace. I'm been using Freemake and Handbrake.

Anyway, when I convert to a digital file format (doesn't matter which), I notice that the video is choppy/jerky. Not terribly so, but enough that it's distracting. I believe this is a frame rate issue, and have been trying to research what to do about it, but I'm having a real hard time resolving this issue. I think it has something to do with variable frame-rates, but I'm not sure.

So, if there's anyone who is knowledgeable out there when it comes to DVD ripping, any suggestions? Do I need to tweak the bitrate? Is there a specific framerate I should be using?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, and if this is the wrong place for a post like this, my apologies to the mod.

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Isn't that illegal?

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    WDNDSWIJCC so you either have to switch to a different DVD or move the thread.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why not create an .ISO and be done with it?

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Zane the Ripper?

Zane the Reaper likes this.
  6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Only if he tries to make copies and distribute them. A backup copy for personal use is perfectly legal.

7. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    What?

No I'm copying my own store-bought DVD for my own use. I'm not selling it or uploading it or anything like that.

And that is? ;-)

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    What program are you using to rip them?

9. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    I've used Freemake and Handbrake. I get decent files each time, but always with jerky/choppy framerate.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    An ISO file is a virtual image of a DVD. You open the file on a virtual drive as if you were playing a DVD. Basically, an ISO has all the content of your DVD (menus, chapters, tracks, etc) and has no compression at all.

11. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    It's possible your discs are scratchy or dirty. Clean them with dish soap and hot water first, drying by wiping outward from the centre hole (microfibre towel would be best, but paper towel is less bad than a proper towel). Also I recommend playing around with the settings so you not only have the best file type for what you'll use it for (if you watch them on an Xbox you'll need mp4 files; if you use an apple TV you'll need M4v optimised for apple TV, for example), but so you have a good framerate and quality.

EDIT:
    The down side of course is it takes up a bastard of space.

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I use Handbrake all the time, never choppy. Old computer?

As to the legality, as I understand it, under US Law it is illegal to circumvent the copy protection on DVDs (but not audio CDs) even if you're only making copies for your own use.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not in my country.

JackG likes this.
  14. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    Brand new computer. DVD is in good condition. In my google-ing I've come across people who've encountered the same problem and it has something to do with "variable frame rate" but I can never seem to get a straight answer as to what will fix it.

Do you tweak the settings at all? Have you ripped a special effects heavy movie like TPM without problem?

Again, thanks to those who are trying to answer my question.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    On Handbrake I just use the presets for my iPod touch. The only thing I change is the audio setting for it to "compress" the volume, so I hear the dialogue better.That doesn't have any impact on the video quality, i owuld think.

Maybe Handbrake just has the good sense to realize that TPM shouldn't be ripped, but shredded.

16. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    lol! wocka wocka

17. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    I'll try a to tweak the settings a bit more, but it might just be the damn movie. Thanks guys.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm...from a BR disc? Handbrake can have issues with those.

19. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    Nah, DVD.

After scouring the internet (again) I have a few ideas. I'll come back and post if it works.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Weird...I've never had trouble with Handbrake rips.