main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.17 - Sabotage - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 6, 2013.

1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    That was explained in the Clovis arc...which will never see the light of day.*
    (*disclaimer: pure and unsubstantiated speculation on my part).

Order66Survivor likes this.
  2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, I think there's a certain aspect of repetition in this show and it's a little bit of "suspension of disbelief" at play. I suppose the explosion in Holocron Heist was smaller and easier to explain away, although it would have been great for this episode to mention that. "Two explosions in _____ months at the Temple? What is happening?" :p

I was going to say what would have been an even better twist was if the explosion had happened at the Senate Building - and was blamed on Jedi. Now that would add to the political intrigue and perhaps would explain why the public picked up on the rumor so quickly. However, they've already done the Senate building, again with Cad Bane in Hostage Crisis. Sigh.=((

I guess it could have been Palpatine's residence, but again, already done in Labyrinth of Evil/Genndy's CW.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The explosion in Holocron Heist happened basically in a ventilation shaft, and didn't kill anyone. This bomb happened in an open hangar deck and killed many people. That tends to get the media's attention in the real world, and I assume it does in the SW universe also.

Order66Survivor and V-2 like this.
  4. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    I forget - did anyone other than the Jedi and perps know of the explosion at the Temple in Holocron Heist? Was it public knowledge or was the explosion even visible from outside the temple?
    EDIT: 07jonesj may have already answered this. LOL

07jonesj likes this.
  5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've seen shots of war protestors outside the Senate in a previous episode some seasons back. I can't remember which episode in particular, but I'm pretty sure they've been shown in TWC before.

6. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    We've had Padme, Bail and co. arguing to stop growing more clone troopers, but I don't recall ever seeing groups of protesters.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I enjoyed the action sequence that kicked things off, but the investigation failed to capture my attention.

Kept thinkng: unless Vos is hanging with Dooku, why wasn't he called in?
    [face_thinking]

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Vos was getting high with Obi-Wan. :cool:

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Not sure if this has been discussed --

If the JC [and Mace] trust Anakin enough to have him be the one to investigate this bombing -- shouldn't Mace trust Anakin enough by RotS to believe him when he says he knows who the Sith Lord is?

Not say "you [THEN] will have earned my trust" ???

Order66Survivor, Togruta and V-2 like this.
  10. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    We don't know yet what happens after this arc.

11. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    You have a point.

And I guess it gives us a chance to see Anakin "Lose" Mace's trust.

12. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    Regarding using the Force to remove buzz droids in ROTS: I thought it was clear (perhaps it was in the novelization) that flying their starfighters through the battle over Coruscant already demanded a focused use of the Force. In other words, the debris field and enemy spacecraft created a kill zone where only a Jedi pilot fully immersed in the force could possibly find a safe flight path. If Obi-wan stopped using the Force to pilot and instead used it to push away buzz droids he would have very quickly gotten killed by flying into a random bit of debris or getting shot down by enemy fighters.

Anakin, in "Sabotage", is flying a relatively easy flight path and can afford to focus the Force on repelling buzz droids.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, we don't know if this was Mace's idea or not - he may have been outvoted. :p

I always thought Mace's biggest problem with Anakin was his relationship with Palpatine, which this investigation doesn't touch on.

Order66Survivor and Seerow like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    you mean "A Sith Lord!" :)

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I would have liked to see the Chancellor meddling in this affair, big time. Perhaps going as far as to suggest that they bring Anakin back in since he and his Padawan were away/are above suspicion, or something.

16. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    This was exactly my thoughts as well. Bringing Jedi off the front lines made no sense at all, particularly Anankin & Ahsoka because they aren't known for their rationality and objectivity. Being suspicious of a Jedi is one thing, but counting out all of the Council is just absured IMHO. A&A are the absolute last pair I would call in to investigate, pretty much anything, and it doesn't bode well for the arc starting off on such a contrived plot-point just to setup Ahsoka for the next part of the arc. Having Palpatine step in and specifically request Anakin makes sense, and we don't have to actually hear him do it, someone on the Council could simply relay this request.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    A simple rewording of the dialogue, along the lines of, "You were brought in at the Chancellor's request because you were off planet and above suspicion..."

18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'll just fanon Palp's requesting Anakin and Ahsoka back to Coruscant myself, IU I figure the Jedi were suspecting their own because conspirators in the anti-Jedi crowd started the rumor the Jedi bombed themselves or were using it to underline how bad the Jedi have gotten. These former peace keepers are themselves being bombed. Letta could have been aiming to start a conspiracy herself. So the Jedi's answer was to suspect their own. Isn't Anakin one of the more famous Jedi publicly at the time? That's another reason he might have been picked to investigate the bombing.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Perhaps that's what the novelization says, but that's not portrayed in the movie at all.

After Kenobi flies into the buzz droids, he pretty much flies straight and does very little maneuvering at all. The only change in flight path I saw was a very short lived, gradual, smooth, short turn. There were no enemy fighters involved at all.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    How hard was that?:p

21. avatarkenobi

Jan 2, 2010
    I really enjoyed this episode, seemed to be quite well paced and unlike the episode before they weren't shoving action in to fill the episode.

+ Carusso Droid
    +Cato Nemodia Invasion
    +Ashoka seems to be maturing quickly towards a knight
    +Jedi mistrust growing
    +Jedi bodyguards with Cin?
    +Explosion reconstruction

I thought the recall of Ashoka and Anakin from warfare was a little tenuous surely there must be some Jedi closer to the core who could be recalled?

22. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope this Arc is worth it because this episodes was boring. It was all a big huge build up, which is fine if there is something to keep me entertained while the plot builds.

To be honest I wish they cut down on some of these long arcs and went back to doing more single plot episodes.

23. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Cato Neimoidia is described as being in the Colonies region of the galaxy, between the Core and the Inner Rim. Anakin and Ahsoka are probably among the nearest Jedi to Coruscant. The planet is under Republic control at this time, with defection to the CIS apparently coming later, and it's close to the heartland of the Republic, so it's not likely that these two Jedi are vitally needed for the battle to be a success. Rex and his jet troopers seem pretty chilled about things.

However, while I'm wary of the "a Sith did it" justification being used for every unexplained circumstance in SW, I agree with others that having Palpatine being namedropped as the motivator for Anakin and Ahsoka's recall to Coruscant would have been beneficial. Why were these specific Jedi recalled and not some obscure dude who is really of no use to any battle anywhere? It seems like yet another example of an unnecessarily small portrayal of a huge galaxy.

The rest of the script of the episode was great, though. The pacing was indeed excellent. It did its job of setting up the next three episodes very well. Kudos to Charles Murray. Hopefully he comes back to write another episode/arc for TCW in the future.

8/10.

24. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I still feel like the suspicion of a Jedi doing it is a stretch. Why do they suspect that?

Or is it just because?

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Explains why Obi-Wan just hologrammed into the one Council meeting. The blue tint helps hide the bloodshot eyes.

edit:

I always loved the way Sam Jackson delivered that line. "A Sith Lord???"

Mace wouldn't really have been surprised if Palpatine turned out to be a Sith Intern or something, it's that "Lord" part that really hit him between the eyes.