main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I don't know, man. TCW brought back the SUPER-dead Maul, had Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar, Obi-Wan not on Cato Nemodia, has Anakin and Dooku dueling every week, and a host of other film-related problems.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    And my personal favorite, Lucas not remembering the "no ship that size has a cloaking device!" line.

Also I suppose you could say it renders the uncertainty over carbon-freezing from ESB moot, since it's apparently no problem in TCW.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just in throwaway lines and minor tidbits

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I predict, in maybe five years, Lucas will grant an interview and be asked about TCW being his vision. His response will be "TCW isn't really my story, it is Dave's story with some input from me. My story is only the six films".

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow Not every day I log on and see that I have 10 alerts.

As to the Rebellion discussion and making the Rebels and Empire equal....ironically enough, I think that is the type of game that would work very well in the Clone Wars time, since it was a war where both sides were militarily equal more or less, and it would be cool if you could get unique units by converting or conquering certain planets.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I call that Tuesday. :p

Jello, I imagine, calls that a bathroom break.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    In terms of film contradictions, the Trade Federation debacle bothers me the most. I don't care about the other stuff nearly as much, yes, not even Maul (even if I found it tacky, I think it's been handled fine). I can even accept the notion that parts of the TF remained neutral due to them being an insanely large corporate and the backbone of galactic trade...

But for George to actually intentionally remove their droid control ships from the battle? When we blatantly see them being used at both Geonosis and at the war's end? And in season 1...

I mean, really? I thought he was doing a new ship design for the sake of doing something cool, not to patch up a continuity problem where there previously 'was none'. (Watch the season 4 extras. Filoni says George ONLY designed a new supply ship so he could remove the droid control ships from the fleets for awhile.)

And personally, when TCW started airing... I went back and read a lot of the old multimedia project simply because I found it good and wanted as much info on the era as I could get. I don't want the old material lost, and it is a shame that so few people pay attention to it. Especially the Republic stuff. Jon and Jan remain the best.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Hmm so a guy who was sliced in half and fell down a reactor shaft, ends up on a different planet with a talking snake for a friend and thats fine [face_whistling]

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why would that be a problem? Are they supposed to not know the location of Mustafar or something? In the film Palpatine just says "Mustafar", he doesn't feel the need to provide directions.

That is a different incident. TCW is not doing a replacement of LOE here.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Hallelujah

Esg likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was never ever intended to be canon, though. It doesn't have a story -- it's a sandbox RTS. So its continuity impact is zero.

Something I wish could be said about more games *coughTFUcough*

I woke up to only 18 this morning. :(

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I know that, of course. But I'm talking about the pre-2008 CW EU, which didn't contradict the films nearly as much as TCW does.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, specifically I'm thinking of the "Rebel Alliance and Empire LOCKED IN EQUAL COMBAT!" and having just the two sides. (Then again, that's better than Galactic Battlegrounds trying to convince me that Naboo and Gungans are 'sides' to pick in combat)

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Out of curiosity, is there any planetary placement from Rebellion that actually has stood the test of time without being contradicted later on?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the planet placement was ... whacked. I don't know what the deal was with that -- whether they were trying for accuracy, or if they were just picking names out of a hat.

Some nice soul made a mod of Rebellion with Atlas-correct locations though, and it's AWESOME.

Yeah, but that's totally unfair though -- the game makes absolutely zero pretense of being in continuity or having a story mode. That's a complaint at the game-play mechanics and not at poor use of EU, continuity, or being overly movie-like. In fact, the movies didn't show the war as being very equal :p

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I was thinking more of the refusal to leave the Movie Era and allow...

... wait a minute, I just realized this is the Clone Wars thread.... [face_laugh]

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Begun, the Clone War has.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I think we need more infinities Star Wars games, especially when it comes to RTS, or the Battlefront Series. CIS vs Vong? Empire vs Ancient? New Republic vs Old Republic? Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'd imagine that the holo-posters on Coruscant are there because they are cheap on the capital, while more backwater systems like Uvena had to make do with physical signs. They are probably a lot easier to trace sales of as well, compared to physical signs, an important consideration in the Rebellion era.

I'd love to see a new game that has more freeform space battles like Homeworld II, but uses some of the damage and morale mechanics of the Total War series.

20. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Any idea where I could find (online) the game and that mod?

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  22. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

Now if only someone made a mod where the game started with proper planetary alignments and resource allocations. I should not have to build shipyards on Corellia and Mon Cal.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sadly that's hardcoded. Only Coruscant, Rebel HQ, and Yavin IV can have their planetary situations set up in advance. Everything else is random.

Online? Ebay or Amazon for the game. I was lucky enough to own the thing when it first came out in like '98 or '99 or whatever it was.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ahsoka and Tarkin don't see eye to eye. You don't say.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Well, yeah. He's a good bit taller than her.

Random Comments likes this.