main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    RC-1991 likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My interest grows by the minute.

4. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I love Mal, but not like I love Han.

I know you have sons anakinfansince1983. I watched Firefly with my two older kids, but there is some scary stuff, ie. Reavers. Inara made for some interesting conversations in my house as well. You might want to preview, if you were considering watching with your kids.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm still not entirely sure what a Companion is supposed to be. Or, at least, the full extent of their profession.

And yeah, Mal's obviously heavily influenced by Han, but the main difference is he's not nearly as much a loner. Han seems to be good at most of the things he tries, where Mal and the rest really have to rely on each other. You can tell Joss Whedon really likes the "family" theme in his shows.

Also, I really enjoyed Whedon's take on "Boba Fett" in the last episode. That was one of the most interesting bounty hunter characters I've come across. Even so, he got what he deserved.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I loved it, anakinfansince1983, and I think you'll like it, too. I give you my full recommendation.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll tell you when you're old enough. ;)

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    What is she doing with those nice men?

Anyway, the entire series I was thinking that it kept implying she did other things besides being a space courtesan. Some kind of secret agenda. I guess I called that one wrong.

9. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    WELL, there is some hinted subtext behind her that has never been outright confirmed or denied by Whedon, as far as I know, though her actor has made some remarks on the matter. Nothing to do with her profession, but something to do with her individually.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    See, that's a bit like the conversations that happened in my house. You think you're just settling in to watch a little space adventure, and pretty soon you're discussing sex in exchange for currency, and whether that's a service to be valued or scorned.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah see, Inara's my biggest problem with the show. She's the most civilized character in the crew -- so she should be my favorite -- but then she's also a Companion. That's just... weird.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The Shepherd is very polite and civilized. When he's not shooting people in the knee caps...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Or threatening people with the special hell.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That wasn't a threat. It was friendly advice :)

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    He's a man of the cloth. Commendable, yes, and perhaps one of the most decent of the crew (certainly no brigand himself), but civilized? Harder to say.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Man... maybe you wouldn't like Doctor Who, in that case. That show is FULL of companions.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I know just *barely* enough about the show to see what you did there :p

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    May I ask how he could have handled the various situations the Serenity got into, particularly the assault on Niska's base, in a more civilized manner? :p

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Turn in your Brown Jacket.

That's from Shindig, not the first episode (either the Pilot or The Train Job, which both have claims on being "first")

20. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I love Firefly but I really wish they had dubbed the Chinese instead of having the actors try to speak it. I have to shut my brain off to tolerate it.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's just so the characters can theoretically curse all they want. I like the idea, honestly, but it does sometimes sound very strange in practice.

22. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I get that and I even like the in-universe explanation for it, but the execution is soo bad.

Edit: Apparently Whedon was going to bring the bounty hunter (I'm forgetting his name, from the last episode) back if they had made season 2.

Fox! *shakes fist angrily*

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    AdmiralWesJanson - Yeah, I know it's Shindig, that's just the first picture of the ship I could grab from google. I'll also deny owning any brown jackets -- who do you think I am??

instantdeath -- wearing fancier clothes? :p

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I won't pretend that I'm particularly well read when it comes to the Bible, but I'm pretty sure it has a few choice things to say about excess [face_party]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Precisely! All that dross about vows of poverty and asceticism. How could I ever support that??

Just think of all those poor designers in Shindig -- how are they to make a living without high society types giving them patronage? It's cruel and unthinkable! The selfishness of people like Shepard Book!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.