main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Duchess Satine Kryze in The Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ZEM, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I disagree. If your definition were that of pacifism, then all pacifists would be wusses. I don't believe that for a second. And I consider myself a pacifist. Opposition to war does not mean opposition to self-preservation.

Here is one definition from dictionary.com:

the principle or policy that all differences among nations should be adjusted without recourse to war.

And not starting fights hasn't been the default in a very long time when one looks at US foreign policy. I'd say that's also true of several other countries. Switzerland and Costa Rica could be considered pacifist but I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't defend themselves if attacked.

As far as peace taking power to enforce, yeah, that's what the Emperor and Vader said.

A Bo-Katan thread? Yes, please.

Mia Mesharad and Darth Ibonek like this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Sometimes heroes fall despite their strength.

Why wasn't it in the actual episodes?

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Why didn't Obi-wan die in the actual episode? Is that the question?

4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, but I don't think that's quite what Slowpokeking was alluding to. It's more along the lines of Sikhs and Buddhist monks: as pacifist people in possession of valuable holdings, such as their fortress-like temples, they became magnets for aggressors seeking to claim what they had without a fight. So the Sikhs and Buddhists learned self-defense, and while they remained pacifists, the infamy of their prowess often held would-be attackers at bay for fear of poking a hornet's nest.

That is peace through power. And it's a principle actually touched upon by the warrior clans later in Mandalorian society, with the advent of the kadikla movement. Kadikla preached the importance of building a Mandalorian state so strong that the Mandalorian people wouldn't need to fight, because no outside power would attempt to attack them, with more domestically available jobs than foreign mercenary and bounty hunter work. It's effectively the New Mandalorian ideal, but rendered more practically.

I assume it was just a buzz phrase created for previews, the same as Count Dooku's line "Everything you fought for will be destroyed..." and the reshuffling of many lines from Pre Vizsla's speeches.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, I just think it would be a good line for her to say.

I admit I'm more of a fan of the Sith than Jedi especially after this incident, but even in real life, only with enough power and defense, you will have peace, of course the Sith went too extreme for that.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I know, I know, but we have to at least pretend to look at this from a perspective of someone who enjoys Ahsoka. ;) Seriously though, she should be able to flesh out Anakin and still have her own strong character arc. But that would be called "good writing."

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Only going into wars that are necessary is common sense, not pacifism. I prefer the more extreme definition of pacifism because otherwise it hardly makes sense to differentiate in the first place.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So how do you guys think you would have felt if Satine fought back before the end?

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I would have liked to have had her make more of an effort to contradict Viszla when addressing the crowds, etc. - try to fight with words as is her wont rather than just shut up and back off.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Given the extreme lack of common sense in the US government over the past 60 years or so, I think the less extreme version still qualifies. Apparently nobody believes in only going into wars that are necessary anymore, and I don't like pacifists being made to look spineless.

I would have preferred that she fight back from the time the Black Sun and Pike invaded her planet rather than running away squealing, but if she had fought back at any point, I would have much more respect for her. I liked her in Season 2 and I'm sad that that characterization was lost.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Anakinfan, you don't get it, she's a pacifist. A pacifist.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Which apparently means she can do nothing but stand there or run, according to TCW writers.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Satine's version of pacifism:

Seerow and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Now I want to watch that movie again.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm not sure there's much else he could have done in that situation anyway.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Can't resist liking that video. <<;

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    This also remind me of the Jedi in this incident.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I like the fact that Satine stayed true to her pacifist beliefs. It can be mistaken for lack of courage but is arguably more courageous in less obvious ways. A lot of people have "beliefs" that get shredded up when they become inconvenient. Sticking to your beliefs facing down the barrel of a gun takes more nerve than probably anyone here has. And I'm not someone who's a big fan of Satine in particular, I'm defending the notion of pacifism.

That said, the character of Satine is kind of screwed because she seemed to go back on her pacifist beliefs in Corruption when she engaged in violence. So now it seems that she was willing to abandon her pacifist ideology in the name of poisoned tea and the children, but then went back to and stuck with it in the most extreme of circumstances as her planet was literally being overrun by warmongers. If it doesn't ruin, it at least greatly weakens the whole character.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Move a step away from her belief is not to ruin it, but keep it alive. She knew that well in Corruption but was ruined in Season 5.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Doing the polar opposite of what a belief would have one do keeps it alive? How, exactly?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    After Corruption, is Mandalore in peace? Yes, is her faction in power? Yes.

After Lawless, is Mandalore in peace? No, is her faction in power? No, it died with her.

That's how politics works, you can't be too extreme, compromise with others to keep your faction alive is usually wise. Especially when you are facing the threat of annihilation.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    You seem to be arguing the ends justify the means, which is a separate debate, but regardless of the answer to that, the means here is abandoning one's ideology, not keeping it alive. The ends justifying the means doesn't mean you didn't change your ideology, it means you're justified in doing so. It's still changed.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    What? After Corruption, Mandalore was... corrupt. Her faction was hanging on to the power just barely. It was apparently Almec that was making it possible for her to hang onto power. Satine had been losing her grip on Mandalore for a long time. According to Satine herself in "Shades of Reason" the people were making sacrifices. It seems to me like that all came to a head as Satine's people got behind Vizsla since they didn't believe in her anymore. A King Duchess is nothing without her people.

Satine herself didn't sound like she had any confidence, she just sounded tired and beaten down. I felt really sorry for her because I felt that cell in "Shades of Reason" may have been the only real peace Satine knew for a long time. Look at how bored and out of it she seemed in "A Friend in Need" sitting there in the background. Its the effect of suffering so many betrayals from people she trusted. All her power was long gone by the time Maul finally killed her.

Some people are stubborn and stick to there belief until their last breath no matter. Some would rather die than change. Stupid or brave? A bit of both... for what its worth she lost her kingdom sticking to her beliefs. She lost her life because Maul has always planned to kill her infront of Obi-wan as part of his revenge.

QuangoFett and Mia Mesharad like this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm sorry but you have to, it's just like in the movie Lincoln, Lincoln said he didn't try to abolish slavery from the beginning because they got a war to fight and he didn't want to lose others' support.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, nobody "has to" do anything. People make decisions based on which consequences are either more beneficial or least painful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.