main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 3D or not 3D, that is the question?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Force_Wielder, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    J.J. Abrams: Why didn't you just kill 3D?
    Paramount Executives: Your punishment must be more severe.

aguywithabiggun likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd prefer no 3D, as I'm not a fan of the format. I guess it depends on how mush pull Abrams will have. So far, it seems he'll have a lot.

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't like 3D, I don't like wearing glasses over my glasses, it gives me a headache

4. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I echo previously stated sentiments. I hope for 2D.

5. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I guarentee it will be in 3D. There's no way Disney will let this go to cinema without all the fizz they can throw at it. I just hope they can match the 3D quality of Avatar and Prometheus.

That being said, there's always an option to see 3D films in 2D. I've never known a film to be exclusively 3D, so it's not like anyone is going to be missing out on their preference.

6. wookiebk

wookiebk Jedi Padawan

May 6, 2004
    It will likely be some post-conversion **** cause thats what the new star trek movie is.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    They will offer both. They will want to maximize their dollars and so there's no way it will be exclusively 3D.....or 2D.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Not all post conversions are a mess. Even many films shot native 3D still require much post conversion. If it's done right, it can look just as good as native.

Even Jimmy Cameron's Avatar had some post conversion, despite his PR to the contrary.

9. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if they released in 3D. Definitely not for me though. I get a headache every time I put on those blasted glasses.

I'm down for IMAX though.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    yodasbum likes this.
  11. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I have a prediction: The new Star Wars films will NOT be in 3D, which will make people realize that we don't need 3D anymore. Star Wars films have a tendency to start trends. 3D will fade away, for a while at least.

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    That's definitely not gonna happen. The tech for 3D is only getting better as we go on. Especially with Disney and crew.

13. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
    3D is inevitable

14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    The new Die Hard film is exclusively in 3D theaters, I think.

With 3D, I think VII will be post-converted - Abrams doesn't like it, and Disney appears willing to shift everything for him. However, I don't think they'd pass up the chance for more money off the release, thus the post-conversion. If that is the case, I'll see it in 2D - as the director intended it to be.

15. Heywood_Floyd

Heywood_Floyd Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2013
    :oops:

3D is a money making gimmick. Personally, I can't enjoy a 2-3 hour long movie while having to strain my eyes to view the 3D picture through a pair of uncomfortable glasses. Also, you get so enveloped in trying to view the layers of 3D picture that you lose focus of the story...or maybe my attention span sucks.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should 4D it. Holographic images FTW.

17. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I hate 3D. I have bad astigmatism in my left eye and it makes me feel super dizzy.

18. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I vote 3D. When done well, it's an added bonus to the theatrical experience and I can still have the 2D experience anytime I wish too. I'm unimpressed by 3-D in general, it's been overused, and not every standard action picture needs it. But for Star Wars? It's a good match.

As far as filming in 3D vs. post-conversion, Joss Whedon did a test at the very start of filming The Avengers, did identical setups and captured footage in native 3-D and also 2-D with a post-conversion. He felt the post-conversion was as good as what he shot in native 3-D.

I can definitely notice a difference; films like Avatar and Life of Pi were drastically superior to post-conversions. But The Avengers was a fantastic 3-D experience as well - the post-conversion was well-executed.

I'd love to see what ILM could do with a Star Wars experience intentionally geared for 3-D.

yodasbum likes this.
  19. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I would probably see the movie twice (my wallet willing). Once in 2D and once in 3D. Go to the 2D one for the actual movie, acting, plot, ect. Then I would go see the 3D after just for the kicka$$ special effects.

20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    After seeing Hobbit @ 48FPS 3D; I vote no. Untill we have Holo-deck technology, 3D is a no-no for me.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, we never needed it. Studios just like it so they can charge more.

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If it is in 3D, I'm not going to take any risks and see it in the best theater in the area about 60 miles away. I might first just see it in 2D though unless the dark effect of 3D gets improved by then.

23. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    The problem comes from movies which are advertised as being 3D. You know, THOSE movies which have the 3D subtitle on the official poster? As if the 3D is the only thing worth watching.

It's not the fact that you can choose (who knows for how many years this will still be possible). It's the fact that a shot for 3D movie generally has lots of CGI.
    90% of the movie is nothing but explosions and special effects that "look cool" in 3D.
    And many in-your-face shots to justify the 3D.

I do not want to see that in the Episode VII trailer.
    Star Wars. Episode VII. In 3D ! ! !

A good story is difficult to make
    Good characters are difficult to create
    CGI and special effects in 2013 is something anyone can do - it's nothing groundbreaking
    3D is something studios can easily make nowadays - it's not groundbreaking anymore

I do not want 3D to be one of the highlights of the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.