main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will the cave play a role in the st

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Marathonjedi77, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe or even the caves of Ilum. They could be featured in the 2nd one to parallel ESB

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Which could be interpreted as a deflection/misdirection. In fact, the entire scene is largely ambiguous, on purpose.

3. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd rather they find a new force nexus.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke: There's something not right here... I feel cold. Death.
    Yoda: [points to a cave opening beneath a large tree] That place... is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go.
    Luke: What's in there?
    Yoda: Only what you take with you.

I don't know. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Unless you think Yoda's lying. Wouldn't be the first time a Jedi master lied to Luke. :)

Julius Vernon likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No recycling planets! No! Bad Jedi Council Forums! Bad! No internets for you!

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    A MacGuffin is "a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or other motivator that the protagonist (and sometimes the antagonist) is willing to do and sacrifice almost anything to pursue, protect or control, often with little or no narrative explanation as to why it is considered so important."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

So no, the cave is not a MacGuffin at all.

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    The definition gives multiple applications. Macguffin can be a "simple plot divice with little or no narrative explanation." So, the cave can fit that description.

8. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    No, that's not what a MacGuffin is. See the wiki link I gave you.

9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I did. Its a catch term with multiple applications. In fact, from your article:

"Some dictionary definitions are even more vague and generalized. For example, Princeton's WordNet defines a MacGuffin as simply "a plot element that catches the viewers' attention or drives the plot of a work of fiction",[15] which could refer to nearly anything at all in a story, given that audience-member attention occurs at the individual level and is not reliably predictable."

10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    *headdesk*
    *headdesk*
    *headdesk*

11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Way back when, the cave was topic for discussion during the PT days. It was thought by many that Dagobah would somehow turn out to be Naboo, and the cave was the buried ruins of the place where either Qui-Gon was killed by Maul or where Anakin "dies" and becomes Darth Vader. These theories also explained the condition of the planet with speculation about a "super-weapon" that would not blow up the planet, but badly damage it. A pre-cursor to the Death Star or sorts.... Obviously that line of speculation was bat-doot crazy, but that was the going prediction for a while there.......

I always took the cave to be a projection created by Yoda to test/teach Luke and nothing more.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    You see?! this is my point exactly! that just goes to show how big of a deal that cave was in people's minds-even then people wanted to know much more about it... Well, here is their chance!

13. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    The cave was just a test of how well Luke could control his fear. At the time he couldn't control his fear so he felt he needed to take his weapons with him. I don't think it has any real significance beyond that. However Luke theorised in Dark Force Rising that Yoda was hidden from the Emperor because of the dark side bubble the cave produced. I can't remember the exact wording. Still that's EU and I highly doubt that the EU will emerge from the ST unscathed.

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Probably not the cave, but I think Luke may use some version of his own of that test, assuming he's training young Jedi. Which if he's in the film, I would assume that would be his role.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think it's funny how a bunch of people on here literally arguing over what a MacGuffin is... "Shouldn't there be a separate thread for that?"

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I want to see an entire back story on the bantha tied up outside the Mos Eisley Cantina.

It's no less obscure a request than revisiting a cave on Dagobah, is it?

17. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    For the most part, the star wars movies didnt revisit locations. Lucas could/should have had Episode I start on Alderaan (since it was Leias home, it would only have been logical for Padme to be from there too. It also would have made Vaders decision to destroy it that much more chilling), but instead he chose to create a new planet, Naboo. Other than Tatooine (important to the skywalker family), Naboo (Important to the Skywalker family) and Coruscant (important to the entire freaking Galaxy) the movies did not return to the same locations. Granted, Luke returned to Dagobah in ROTJ, but thats because Yoda was still there. Hes dead now, so i dont really see a reason for Luke or any other character to return there in the sequel trilogy. Similarly, i dont think they'll likely return to any of the planets from the preceeding movies, except for maybe Coruscant and posiibly Tatooine.

I do think the Dagobah and the cave could be revisted in the Yoda spin-off, though. That would make the most sense. Although, perhaps not. If Disney wants to "Marvelize" the star wars movies, they might explain why the dark side is strong on Dagobah by incorporating the planet into the Boba Fett/han Solo, or some other spin-off. To me, that would be more interesting.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Like Obi-Wan said, "The Force will be with you...always." That means the light side and the dark. If the light side can sometimes guide and encourage you, then it's safe to say the dark will try to misguide and instill fear in you too, at any given moment.

19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I expected to see more to that cave in the Prequels. Noticing the cave was a "man-made" structure was one of the major new finds I discovered when watching the movies again in the late '90s, probably a result of seeing them wide again. It does seem like something fitting for J.J. Abrams to be interested in exploring, considering similar mysteries in his other works.

20. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    As did I and I'm guessing a lot of people.

Remember, a Jedi can trick someone into hearing a noise or controlling their mind to make them say this or that - I'd say it's entirely possible that Yoda projected the whole thing to test Luke.

I think we've seen the last of the cave, it served it's purpose of foreshadowing etc

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think you're on to something here. A metaphorical revisiting, in the sense that similar themes are explored, is a fine notion and I think that Korriban may just be the ideal place for this to occur. I know that I'm just longing for the planet (and the Valley of the Dark Lords, in particular) to be explored on film.

As far as a literal stop to the cave on Dagobah? I don't know. I do agree that the deepest parts of the cave looked to be constructed by sentient hands and that's one of the things that tickles my imagination. Still, while I do wonder what's really going on there, there are some things I simply don't want to be spelled out for me.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't think anything in the cave should be considered real. Vader wasn't, right? Nah, it's like I said, the Dark Side can sometimes manifest itself anytime and anywhere whenever a Force user lacks confidence in himself.