main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My friend actually had no idea. I was in the process of passing it while traveling (taking a bus from Pennsylvania to Texas... I don't recommend it), and I drank lots of water and cranberry juice, took some Tylenol, and just dealt with it. Granted, it felt like I had pissed a razor blade, but my friend didn't even hear my cussing, so he had no idea until I told him about a year later.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    [Mod_Voice] Hey guys, this is the social thread and we do of course, want you all to be social, but there has been a lot of talk about medical issues recently. We realize that sometimes these things are or become a big part of our lives and as a part of our lives we want to share with our friends here, and we all want to make sure our friends know we care, but it has become a little excessive. Not everyone wants to discuss their or someone elses medical standing and it's a little off putting to jump into a conversation where that has been the majority of the topic.

We want as many people as possible to enjoy this thread, so could we please cut back on the discussion of personal medical issues. If you do feel the need to share something medical, please keep it to a minimum and without what most would consider too much information. If you would like to share and receive more details, please do so via PM. [/Mod_Voice]

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    All right, moving on...

So, Valentine's Day is coming. How do you plan to spend it?

I plan to spend Valentine's Day like Han...

Solo.

Iverna likes this.
  4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I tried to change the subject . . .

I have no plans. Probably writing. There's not a lot to do around here, for single people. Come to think of it, there's not a lot to do around here for couples, either.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I have a date with an endocrinologist Valentine's morning (but I won't go into details to get off the medical subject - it's a good appointment though).

Then I'm going to a travel agency to book my flights and hotel to London. I'm taking one of my best friends this summer and we are going to do the whole tourist thing. The hotel we are staying in is a four star spa/hotel and I'm going to look into getting first class for our plane tickets. We figure, if we are going to do this, we might as well do it right. We both have similar stories and have struggled with similar situations and mental and physical illness AND we both lost parents on the exact same day to similar situations, so we figure we deserve to pamper ourselves and have a wild adventure in England.

But yeah, I'm Solo this Valentine's day, but I'm not really complaining. I plan to get my hands on a British man.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    LOL! Good luck. I had plans to get my hands on an Irish man when I went to Dublin, but failed. Ah, well.

7. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    That London trip will be one of the best things you ever do in your life. Seriously. It ranks up there with personal achievements and milestones (for me, it was actually better than getting married or having kids ever could have been).

Dantana Skywalker likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't expect to do anything for Valentine's Day. Any time I expect something I am gravely disappointed. I mean for Christmas I got a bag of Twizzlers because my husband said, "I knew you liked candy." I spend days shopping for the family and he buys nothing for anybody except he went to the local store and bought me a bag of Twizzlers because he realized there was something under the tree for him. Worst husband ever! What he will do is say he got me an early Christmas present and I just forgot about it. "Hey I got you that Wacom Tablet as an early Christmas present." I say, "That was a birthday present and you got it two years ago."

He'll just stand there looking stumped. "No, it was a few months ago." I'm like, "No, it was two years ago. You gave me the receipt because there was a two year warranty." He'll refuse to believe it until I show him the proof. Then he says, "I'm sure I got you something for an early Christmas present." o_O

This year I did tell him EXACTLY what the kids wanted for Christmas. He said he would get it for them...but he didn't. So last week he must have remembered and finally got them a "Late" Christmas present. Or maybe it will be described as a "Really Early" 2013 Christmas present for the kids.:rolleyes:

9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Don't feel bad. I've lived here for years and haven't managed. :p They're elusive. Or clueless. Or unappealing. Often a mix.

I won't be celebrating Valentine's. I never do, whether I'm with someone or not. I just think it's one of the most pointless holidays ever and I refuse to throw money at it. :p

10. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Oh, selective forgetfulness on his part . Ugh. Sorry you have to put up with that.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *perks up*

London? Oh lovely - I go at least once a year in November for Remembrance day.

Save your money though, especially if you are looking at 'first class' - that alone will treble, or even quadruple your airfare (me I'm spoiled as I fly 'non rev' I only pay taxes so I've flown 'up front' for the last four years) spring for economy plus and save the difference.

Take a 'Big Brown Bus' tour - hop on, hop off - see a lot more of the city at your own pace.

Wear COMFORTABLE SHOES, dress in layers, bring one empty suitcase, or better yet, pack one back and buy one at the markets. Use your ATM to get money daily, you'll save a lot on the exchange rate.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have a date with a vaccine. The only reason I remember when it is is because I remember thinking... well I've got nothing else to do on V-Day. One of the really cool, old theaters in Harvard Square always show Casablanca on Valentine's Day and I've thought about going but apparently it's jam packed every year so I doubt I'll actually go. I don't care about going on the day it's just that's when they play it and I want to see it on the big screen. Other than that, I'll do nothing different than any other night.

That trip sounds awesome, Briannakin!

Jedi_Lover - Ugh :rolleyes: Does he have a friend who you can talk to about this and then this friend can tell him he's being stupid? Maybe a little embarrassment would go a long way. ;)

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I will be working until 3 p.m. Then I'm going to buy myself a nice early dinner on the way home from work and do some writing on my book.

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    No, we have no friends. He has the social grace and gregariousness of the Unabomber. :rolleyes: We even live in the isolated woods...but at least we have running water and cable. And the INTERNET. I would be lost without my internet.:D

15. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    *remembers that I need to get my Tdap booster soon*
    Thanks, Mav. :p

I'm an anti-Valentine's sort of person. When it's mandated, it's not quite so romantic.
    And if my husband gets me flowers anymore, the cats try to eat them. So there's that. [face_laugh]

16. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I have no idea what I'm doing- I feel like it should be something, since this is the first Valentines in my life when I've actually been dating someone. I think we've talked about going to see Die Hard, and I'd be okay with that.

More importantly, there will be an update to the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, and I'm very impatient about waiting for my updates these days. If any of you are Pride and Prejudice fans, I can't recommend this series enough. And I am admittedly super critical when it comes to adaptations of my favourite book in the world. I drove all my friends crazy this morning as I kept refreshing the Pemberley Digital channel waiting for their new video. :p

17. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    We're doing one of my favorite silly date night things that I love for Valentine's Day.... making s'mores in the microwave with chocolate graham crackers. We like to stand over the countertop trying not to spill melty marshmallow and chocolate all over the place, and invariably we end up looking like a baby just learning to eat real food--smears everywhere. It is fun.

Other than that, nada. Valentine's Day doesn't matter since I stopped getting little valentines in a decorated paper bag in school. Nothing says love like trying to read into a Spiderman valentine from your 5th grade "crush."

18. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I never do anything for Valentine's because I never have any money. Not enough money to pay someone off to pretend I'm interesting (see, you're bored already), not enough money to do anything with the person I've bought for the occasion.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll be doing it all in a wheelchair, which should be interesting, but I can walk short distances and my friend can carry my wheels if need be. I traveled all over Cuba in a wheelchair, so I figure I can face London. And a bus tour will be a must.
    I probably won't do first class as it looks like it's 3x more, but I'll definitely be looking into economy plus.

Valentines day is a stupid waste of money, whether you are in a relationship or not.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    What time of year are you planning to go? The height of summer isn't a good time for airfare, as it triples even for the economy seats.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    August. That's why we are booking now. It's more, but we're both students so we can't go any other time. But air Canada has a thing where if you book the flight and hotel together, you save on both.

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, but off-season tickets are a lot less expensive.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    When Ish and I went to Ireland, we went in March because tickets were $800/ea including taxes & fees. If we'd waited 'til June, they would have been $1500 before taxes & fees.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Maybe for hotels, but I just looked at the price for planes for mid-October and it's only a 100 dollar difference. I guess it might be the air line.

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Nah, our apartment was $600 for the week. You just gotta know how to find the deals. But we flew Delta, not anything out of Canada, so I don't know what your choices even are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.