main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Diversity Special: Goran and Medrit

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 12, 2013.

?

IF YOU HAVE READ LOTF: At what point did you realize that Goran and Medrit were a gay couple?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2013.
  1. During Sacrifice - Medrit's first appearance

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. During Revelation - Medrit's second appearance

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Heard about it elsewhere after having finished both books

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. Wait, Goran and Medrit are gay?

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Heard about it elsewere after finishing the first book but before reading the second

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I hope you folks will humor me with this for a week or two; I just want to get a sense of something and then this can be closed as far as I'm concerned. One of our big recurring topics has been Goran and Medrit's portrayal in LotF, and the extent to which it was obtrusive/subtle/totally unnoticed, and I think it would be instructive to know exactly how readers (here, at least) interpreted it at the time.

Because I'm sure there are a number of people here who are intimately familiar with the series but didn't actually bother to read it, I'll repeat that I'm only looking for responses from people who have actually read the books, because hearing about it secondhand defeats the purpose. In keeping with that, please be honest--I'm especially trying to figure out how many people didn't notice at all, so if that was the case with you, don't be ashamed to admit it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Mine's an option that's not actually listed --- someone pointed it out here on the forums after Sacrifice but before Revelation.

3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ah, crap - you can select the third option for that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    None of the above: heard about it before reading the books.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Didn't realize til I saw it posted here in Lit. I can't remember if it was after I read the first or second book though..

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Do you want me to add that variant option to your poll as a possibility?

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes please.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I didn't realise until after finishing Revelation and someone said it on the boards. That being said, I did skip the Mando chunk of the book because it was so uninteresting for me.

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Done. It's a new option at the end (if I reordered the options, it'd alter the results).

10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Realized it during my slower readthrough of Sacrifice. I thought Medrit being a man was a typo at first. I figured that there was no way the SW powers-that-be would have allowed that!

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You, sir, are the Medrit to my Goran. @};-

Iron_lord, Zorrixor, Mazzic and 4 others like this.
  12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, I didn't realize it until after I'd read both. I don't think I even remember Medrit getting a mention during A Practical Man. Probably one of those details I just forgot about. It was here that I realized that both were men and together. I forget which detail it was I hadn't realized when I first read them, though.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Having never read any LotF books beyond the first one, I wouldn't possibly know what you meant by that.

14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I heard about it after reading both, iirc on KT's blog or one of her comments. Mostly I think that's because I had a hard time distinguishing the side Mandalorian characters from each other.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I haven't voted yet because I can't remember -- which book were they sitting in the kitchen in? Were they both in Sacrifice together? (these books sort of meld into one in my mind...)

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Pretty sure that happened in both. :p

I think the best way to distinguish the two is whether Jaina and/or Sintas are there.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yeah, I didn't notice until I read it here, but like JackG, I'll admit I skipped some Mando stuff.

If I had known ahead of time, I might have paid more attention. :p

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I vaguely noticed something, but it really didn't stand out, and none of the Mandolorian characters were all that memorable. On one hand, the fact that it was subtly done is a good execution of gay rights, as I prefer equality where it just is rather than having it plastered in my face. On the other, the fact that those two characters really have nothing to distinguish them by besides the fact that they are a couple is a failure to make interesting or distinctive secondary/tertiary characters.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I inspired a thread. Unfortunately, that's about all I can contribute to it :(

I suppose this answers my original question, though, that it was fairly subtle and could have conceivably gotten by the editors (lots of other things do =P~)

20. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I read Sacrifice and didn't notice it at all. Before Revelation came out I was doing a random google search to see if any gay characters had appeared in Star Wars literature and one of the results mentioned gay Mandos. Clicked the link and started kicking myself when I read the name Goran for not having spotted it.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I read Revelation and Goran mentioned he was with Medrit, I am pretty sure, and then I frowned because I was sure Medrit was a man. Checked, and smiled, moved on with my reading, saw the word 'rape' in a Star Wars book and just sighed.

So up until that point I was pleased that Karen had introduced a gay character, apart from that Moff from the Han Solo Trilogy. Sarn Shild? Into male nonhumans, I recall.

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I think that i picked up on it between Sacrifice and Revelation- IIRC Traviss's FAQ referenced it. The dialogue in Revelations further elucidated the matter.

23. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I realized it during Sacrifice, upon finding that the person alluded to as a [at the time, likely female] spouse in Boba Fett: A Practical Man, turned out to be a large, burly male character.

That's a somewhat disingenuous statement. Goran and Medrit are so often lauded due to their relationship because they're the first canonically established gay couple in all of Star Wars, and among only three canonically established gay characters whatsoever in the franchise.

That said, for those fans who did not simply gloss over or skip the segments of the novels featuring the two characters, they're easily distinguishable and interesting as characters in their own right, without any emphasis on their sexual orientation.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It’s left vague, the implication being he is homosexual and/or favors Aliens (be it male, female or something else).

25. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Agreed. Goran is one of the more interesting characters to come from Legacy of the Force IMO.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.