main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I was going to write a long rebuke, but this isn't really the place.

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I signed through lacwac.com, I don't know all of the addresses that is set to go to. I also got canned response from Disney.

3. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    I don't see what the big deal is.

Disney won't let a potential show slip through their fingers. They just bought Star Wars, why would they let something die off that attracts new audiences?

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, right? Those were my feelings too. That pretty much sums up the book, if you also mention that it talks a lot about him having to adjust to moving around while wearing the suit.

V-2 likes this.
  5. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah. That stuff took me out of the story a bit too.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    James Luceno's writing style is making thousands of references, that's what he loves to do, it's what he's always done, no one forces him to do it.

He made even more references in Darth Plagueis, and the lack of shall we say, "original content", is one of the major reasons I was disappointed with that book.

Dark Lord is just a mediocre novel in every capacity imo, the canonical references had little to do with it. Remove the references and the book wouldn't have been any better, it may have been even worse.

I don't think continuity prevents imaginative writing and authors aren't necessarily forced to follow any decisions if they come up with original characters and original settings within the Star Wars universe.

fett 4 likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, and I was actually more disappointed by Darth Plagueis than I was by Dark Lord. Honestly I don't think these issues just affect his books either... they are part of the reason I just really can't get into the novels of the EU in general.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Labyrinth of Evil is still his absolute best, IMO, with Cloak of Deception a close second. These two novels really enhance TPM and RotS, respectively. And, in TPM's case, make the film better and more nuanced. But I agree on your assessment of Darth Plagueis, I was disappointed with it; something was lacking.

eht13 and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  9. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    OK my EU peeps, I think we have veered off topic. In the interest of staying on topic...

I was thinking yesterday about how Filoni could have made different endings for the very end of Season 5, and he could swap the animation in and out depending on the fate of the show. So, lets just say an ending where Ahsoka lives and one where Ahsoka dies. And maybe even an episode like the one with Gregor where it looks like she dies but we don't know for sure and there is a chance she survived.

What scares me is that most recently in the last commentary he mentioned that Lucas wanted to resolve the fates of the characters they created for the show so that it syncs up with Episode 3. He alluded to going back and forth over time with Lucas on how to handle her fate. So, i guess i'm dreading that they decided to go with a definitive end for her this season and thus the end of the series. Sure, you could you have a Clone Wars show without Ahsoka, but i know her fate has been one of the biggest questions that people have been asking, so the show could very well end with her.

Beyond just the OMG ONOZ thing about the show possibly ending, maybe they just haven't decided whether to bring it back or how to bring it back, i.e. broadcast versus direct to DVD? Apparently Hasbro mentioned to Jedi Temple Archives at Toy Fair just this past weekend that the show's lower ratings with kids have made them choose to not bring back the Clone Wars animated figure line this year (they may however put some realistic styled Clone Wars characters in the regular line if they so choose). I question some of his data on ratings, but it still makes me a bit nervous. You can have a show without the figures, but then again, they may choose not to do that. I am still of the mind that I think as fans we should make a lot of noise if we like the show, particularly let them know we've liked the Maul arc and potentially (jury still out) the finale arc.

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Although I expect the show to end when Ahsoka's story is over, it IS going to be a bit stupid having the events that happen to Ahsoka happen potentially months or even weeks before ROTS. All depends on what happens I guess. The worst thing they could do is leave her fate ambiguous.

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Filoni once said explicitly that Ashoka's fate will be handled in the season finale. Its possible there are alternate endings made just in case the show gets canned. If there is an ending to this arc like Gregor seeming death then its probably a cliff hanger that was always planned. I'm not at all worried about her actually dying in the new arc actually. This is another one of those, its the journey stories which is where I feel all the weight of this Ahsoka arc. Its gonna move her on her journey setting stuff up.

If that's true then why not come out and just call this arc the epic series finale? I doubt that come the end of this arc we'll be merged into ROTS or right up on the last chapters of the Microseries. Filoni is just talking about him and Lucas having many discussions about the fates of characters, that's the hottest topic of the show. That's the question everybody asks Filoni in every interview. "What happens to Ahsoka and Rex?" I think the show could go on without Ahsoka if they wanted to do that, it would be weaker as often happens when major characters are written off or even replaced (nothing kills a show faster than a bad replacement). If TCW ends here, well that's gonna suck for me because I have zero hope Rex's fate would be resolved in this arc and Fives will appear again. That's who I care about.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The point of this campaign is not to create fear TCW is going to get canned. I don't believe that in the slightest. The point is to badger for info and show Disney we do love the show because that helps. When did Hasbro mention lower ratings for kids? Lets keep in mind that CN's target argument is 6-11 year olds and I learned from my time in the Power Rangers franchise you only really get 3 years with that audience before they grow out of it (this is what I truly believe happened that reduced ratings in season 4 along with CN's insistence on putting TCW up again heavy competition on Friday nights. It wasn't just TCW that that was getting killed. Thundercats, dammit. ). The show is now on season 5. This is where the choice is either to grow up or reboot and collect a new audience entering that age group. Really that's irrelevant now because I'm not sure what Disney XD's target audience age group is although its similar. Disney might be more willing to to target a broader audience than CN's which has been a consistently since 04. Its also bound to get lower ratings on Disney XD. That network has less exposure and is not available on basic cable.

TCW however is not a regular show since it has the SW name on it.

07jonesj likes this.
  12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm just worried TCW is going to lose it's adult content when it moves to Disney XD. I like human bombs!

Darth_Foo likes this.
  13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Seerow you raise some good points, I would say you are right that a show usually would come out and say "epic series finale" if its the last one. That would help them get good ratings, and also would be a service to loyal watchers so the rug isn't pulled out from underneath them when the show abruptly ends. However, it could be that they just don't know yet whether its the series finale. Sounds ridiculous, but isn't it ridiculous that they are being so sketchy about it? "Can't talk about that."

If they did the "Gregor" type ending for Ahsoka, this would allow Filoni to say "well, i believe she survived and we have many stories left to tell for her, but when will we get to tell them, that's a different story, and I'm not sure when we'll get to put out more episodes." Same goes for Rex and Fives (especially Rex), they need to finish off his story, but if Lucas is no longer driving the car, Filoni's hands could be tied on bringing those character arcs to resolution, and what a disappointment it would be to not have those stories completed.

Here is the link to Hasbro mentioning low ratings for TCW as a reason not to make figures, its the 2nd to last question:
    http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=11342/#details

I also like your point that the campaign could be, for now, about badgering Disney for information on when TCW is coming back, because that is something they could realistically provide us. So i'd be game for shifting the current question to Disney/Lucasfilm to step up and give us information on how and when the Clone Wars is coming back, and let them know that the show is really something we love as fans.

14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Your mean this?

Low ratings aren't specifically mentioned there. The person answering the question just says based on the ratings of the show (which could simply be referring to who watches the show. 6-11 vs adult 18-24. Which one really collects action figures? Again we are 5 seasons in, well past the 3 year turn over for 6-11). Its sounds more like the author is saying Hasbro decided they aren't making enough money off the kids. I remember there were rumors TCW would get canceled mid season thanks to Hasbro, there was an entire thread that came out of that on the temp board. Here we are at the finale. Its been a strange ride with the Clovis arc missing for sure. However I don't think there is much to worry about. It took a while to get any info on season 5 after season 4.

They might not tell us if it happens because Filoni has options open to continue in the future. If it were any other show that ended abruptly and the Supervising director said: "well, i believe she survived and we have many stories left to tell for her, but when will we get to tell them, that's a different story, and I'm not sure when we'll get to put out more episodes." I'd be saying god dammit. But with SW I don't see that as an end and an empty promise. I've been there many times with other franchises. Ones that are now pretty much dead. I don't feel like I've heard Filoni say that yet even.

15. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    In terms of the Annie Awards: Star Wars lost the Oscar to Annie Hall, that doesn't make A New Hope a worse film. I could care less how many awards this show gets (if it got more, that would be great, though). Look at Parks and Recreation, such a phenomenal show, snubbed every year in favor of overrated comedies like Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory (IMO).

Also,I'm optimistic until the schedule is released, anyhow.

07jonesj likes this.
  16. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I highly doubt the show is going anywhere, it's simply a matter of whether it moves to a Disney or remains on CN. In an interview this week Anna Graves (voice of Satine) revealed she had recorded a role for an arc next season, and it's clear they a far into production of Season 6. Ahsoka's arc may very well be ending, or may take a new path, but that in no way indicates the show is going away.

Yancy

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Yes, I see what you're saying, and we've had other indications from other cast and crew that they've produced more stuff. But for the stuff that has not been completed, the truth is that Disney could choose to "pull the plug" as they did with the partially/mostly completed 3D prequel conversions. It's possible they'll allow them to complete the stuff that's mostly done and just shuffle it to direct to DVD movies, and then can the stuff that isn't complete.

To your point, I hope they use what they've clearly been working on, and since JAT was just tweeting a few days ago that he was recording Clone Wars dialogue, it would be really silly for Disney to pull the plug several months after they took over.

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I really hope Disney see Clone Wars as a great show and doesn't allow it to end prematurely.

20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Question to the kiddos who are super-connected to the interwebs... how do media companies use tweets to guage demand for tv shows? I see that shows now will carry the twitter # in the corner of the screen, i.e. #bones. Do companies then measure activity on twitter for these #'s? Do they gather the actual content that fans are tweets and use it in measuring ratings and/or buzz? Do they keep track of how many people follow the show on twitter or facebook? I follow the Clone Wars on twitter but have not done any actual activity beyond that.

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Parks and Rec is awesome!

And sadly always in danger of cancellation... :(

22. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Yep, many media companies do have people in their marketing departments that follow twitter trends and analyze data. Like you said, a lot of shows these days do display their shows with hashtags, and even at times, they'll display a subject that has something to do with what's going on in the show (like, maybe, "#thedecision" will be displayed right before a main character has to make a big choice in the episode). In addition to collecting data from users (age, location, feedback, etc) this sort of stuff drives up buzz and serves as publicity for shows.

Of course, this isn't just tied to media companies, all sorts of companies and organizations in different industries use twitter (and other social media) for similar purposes.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
  24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Thanks for that info... I actually see that this show is kinda low in Twitter and Facebook followers combined to other Cartoon Network shows or other Sci Fi shows that are popular. Hopefully that doesn't mean they perceive less demand for the series to continue.

I've been re-tweeting and responding to the official @theCloneWars twitter handle, and also liking stuff they're posting on Facebook.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    You're going about this all wrong, you should be buying all the products advertised in the commercial breaks during TCW. ;)

Watto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.