main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Pope quits. Heading to Ep. VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kuestmaster, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
  2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Take a break. Consider this a friendly warning.
    Management.

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Snooze-a-rooni posts you make, man.

Boooooooooooring.

4. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Yes, it's very boring when you're calling people out for behaving like bigots. It's such a buzz-kill...

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    People complaining that this thread is irrelevant were obviously not around when 3SA was happening. There were many humor threads there as well.

The_Hellhammer and yggdrasil311 like this.
  6. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I just went ahead and liked every meme in this thread. =D= Job well done

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Relax pal. We could be making jokes about the SERIOUS scandals in the Catholic church; this is all lightweight humor here, no one is going for the jugular in this thread; nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

As far as your reference to religions that cut your head off for this sort of thing, is that who you like to be compared to? Is that the God you worship, one who supports beheading people for benign humor about the pope? Our moderate culture is a prized thing. Big difference between bigotry and easy-going humor; don't go flashing the "you are a bigot" card, that card is WAY overused and has lost its affect with something this lightweight.

It is said to no end in the comedy business, there is only ONE rule in comedy, only one boundary: it has to be funny. The pic in the OP is funny. I get that you were offended, and didn't find it funny. Lighten up. Most did find it funny, look at the posts. I did.
    [​IMG]

8. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Will the Pope be in the new films? Why else would he resign?

9. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Episode seven is the only reason I would resign.:D

10. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Before I begin, I would like to send a sincere and well-intentioned note to DarthBoba. You asked me to refrain from further involvement in this particular issue, and I have genuinely tried to do that. I made a sincere effort to heed your "friendly warning." But unfortunately for us all, as you see below, Lee has made a series of questions that I believe deserve an honest answer and correction. For the record, and as you no doubt recall, I made a more detailed statement yesterday morning here on the subject, and I honestly feel many of his questions would have already been answered had you not decided simply to erase that post completely. But the deed was done, and therefore I am now compelled to explain myself again, or else be painted as something I am not. In doing so, I understand that I risk having my post deleted again and my presence banned for a certain length of time. I think that would be both inappropriate and not helpful, but if you should see fit to do so, I shall have to take my lumps and accept it: I still have an obligation to speak my piece on this. In exchange for your indulgence, I shall try to keep my voice civil and reasonable. The rest I leave to you; but if it pleases you to take such disciplinary steps nonetheless, I would prefer you simply explained to me why I'm wrong, rather than simply wipe my posts, or my opinions, from existence.

Lee, thank you for your comments (except for the panties one). Unfortunately, I believe these comments rest on false assumptions, and I am therefore bound to try to clarify my feelings rather than have you possess a false impression about me, or my opinions. I trust you will indulge me, but you deserve an honest answer to your questions:

First, you're making the assumption that I am myself Catholic, or, at the very least, a worshipper of any God of some kind. This is a false assumption: I am not myself Catholic, or even highly religious. Such sentiments have no bearing on my position here. Therefore, any statements about what scandals have happened in the Church are not relevant. They would most certainly not be relevant to this thread, which, as I have forever tried to explain, is relevant to Star Wars by a connection so tenuous that it simply doesn't deserve the identifier of "relevant." If the Church did nothing for a thousand years but good and humble deeds, it would still not be relevant to this forum. My issues with this thread have nothing to do with the deeds or misdeeds of the Catholic Church or any other.

Second, you're making the assumption that not only do I worship a deity, but that I also support people being beheaded for dissing the aforementioned deity. Again, had my original post been left intact, you might have understood my point better. My point was this: people take potshots at Catholicism these days not because of what the Church has or has not done, but because it's easy. It's easy because it's become popular to attack Catholics and Catholicism, and though I personally have no connection to either, I don't believe in mocking people or symbols of faith just because it's popular to do so. It feels as wrong to me as making mocking comments about other religions, about race, or weight, or sexual preference, or anything else. It was once popular to call African-Americans by rather offensive words; it was once popular to mock gay people; it was once popular to mock Jews; it is now ceasing to be popular to mock fat people; it will also one day no longer be popular to mock Catholics, and on that day I don't want to be counted among those who behaved offensively and hid behind the excuse that it was just the times we lived in and it was all just a joke.

Furthermore, there's no honor in mocking things that are safe to mock. Regardless of what people think about that religion, Catholicism has been far more tolerant of its critics than its critics have been of it. No Catholic will be coming after a single person on these threads, or anywhere else, for these jokes; instead, they embrace the very prized tolerant culture you mentioned and roll with it. Hence my comment about beheadings: if someone says things about one faith that they wouldn't say about another, then what's the difference? I can only conclude that they feel safe to do so because they're not afraid of reprisal. And if someone is attacking a soft target, that's not being particularly daring, or funny. It's not embracing our prized moderate culture. It's just hitting someone that won't fight back. Didn't Star Wars tell us (among other things) that it's wrong to attack someone who won't fight back? So, for the record, I don't support beheadings, and certainly not yours; I support people behaving as lovingly toward people who could never hurt them back as they would toward people who could hurt them back. As I've said before, people are either equal or they're not, and therefore it's either wrong to slam someone's faith or it isn't, regardless of what faith that is.

And what sort of joke is this that we're talking about? That the Pope and Palpatine are both old men who wear robes. That's the joke. And the implication is that the Catholic Church, like the Sith, is an evil organization led by a horribly evil person. If I didn't get that this was the point I was meant to infer, I can always quote opinions like this: "I think they might both be the head of a sinister death cult seeking to dominate the galaxy, but that's just my take." How much of a shelf life does that joke even have? A day, two tops. The evidence that it's already lived past its shelf life is that we've spent far more time arguing over the joke than telling the joke; the joke itself is already a dead horse and yet it's still being pummelled. If the sole rule in comedy is that a joke has to be funny, then this particular joke began breaking the rule within a day and quickly wore out its welcome. When we talk about a picture of Darth Vader sitting in Catholic robes, that's different, because then the joke is not so much at the expense of Catholicism, Catholics, or even just the style of Catholic livery; it's about Vader looking like a dork because he wouldn't be caught dead wearing gold and white; he has a set fashion sense, his color is black, and that's that. That's roughly equivalent to saying that Palpatine would look funny if someone put a big red clown nose on him; it's not remotely equivalent to saying that Catholicism is no better than the Sith. And even then, it remains funny for perhaps a day, no more. And it still wouldn't necessarily belong here.

Which brings us to the larger question: does it belong in this forum? This forum specifically? If so, why? Because someone basically said, "Hey, maybe he'll go for a role as Darth Sidious now in the Sequel Trilogy; because they're so much alike and all." Maybe, yes; and maybe I might also suddenly transform into a Good Humor ice cream bar, but what are the odds, really? It's been established already that the Pope, upon retirement, is going to go into seclusion on the Vatican City grounds and stay there; he's never evidenced any interest in jumping into someone's space opera franchise, and particularly not as a villain. Furthermore, we don't even have any evidence that Sidious is even coming back as a character for the ST, and if he did, where would they go other than Ian McDiarmid as long as he draws breath? So what's the point of having this here in a forum which is specificallly supposed to be about the Sequel Trilogy? There's no place for this thread besides right here on the ST forum? There's no humor forum here on the JCF at all?

And finally, with regard to my reference to bigots, that I will be happy to withdraw; when, after my last attempt to explain myself in depth, I was, as you see, dismissed as BORING without any substantive answer whatsoever (which you yourself at least provided), then yes, I lost my temper, and I pulled the B-word. For this - and this alone - I do offer my sincere apologies to everyone on this thread. That was my error; it does not necessarily alter my conviction that the thread itself is here in error, or my assertion that it ought to be kept intact but moved to a section of the JCF where such humorous chats will have a far better welcome. With no malice intended, in full humility, and for the last time before quitting this matter entirely, I respectfully ask the moderators to please begin the desperately needed work of reorganizing this forum to put things into proper order, and I thank them for indulging me in this matter, for at least being willing to hear my contrarian point of view rather than erasing it.

There, I've said my piece. Now I accept your judgment, DarthBoba. If you must follow through on yesterday's warning, I won't take it personally. :)

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't even...

Are you seriously typing that wall of text because of a picture where Pope and Palpatine look alike?

I mean really, are we doing this? Is this what we're doing?
    Because...I mean.
    Man.

Relax.

12. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Oh, internet...

KilroyMcFadden and Darth kRud like this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Would you believe I had the same thought when I first noticed this thread? ;)

And as shocking as it may sound to you, yes, I seriously did write all that, and I was relaxed when I did it. Is it really so difficult to believe? Not everyone thinks the same things are funny, or appropriate; I've simply given my reasons for not finding it so. It really depends on your point of view, doesn't it?

14. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I see. Attempt to derail and close thread by posting no funny. And also off topic. Please stop trolling and seek help for your issues.

We are trying to hang out and have fun, Hunnybuns

LANDO_ROCKS and stormcloud8 like this.
  15. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I agree that this forum is somewhat of a mess and needs more structure, but this thread is actually one of the few enjoyable highlights in an endless stream of non-news and "hey I hope actor x is in the movie!" threads. I mean, I still laugh every time I see the simple, matter-of-fact title of this thread.

I long for the safety and order of the spoiler free 7 forum...

The_Hellhammer and Kuestmaster like this.
  16. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Maybe, maybe not. That's not really up to you, honestly. Nor does that give you a free pass to hijack a thread you've made clear that you don't agree with as your own personal soapbox.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well...this thread long since died at being funny. :p Locking.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.