main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are you doing for Lent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Feb 11, 2013.

1. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    watching various versions of jesus christ superstar

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There is one here who knows the truth, Rogue.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm not Catholic, so I don't bother with Lent. No Baptist that I know of has ever done anything for Lent.

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, it's a good thing Ramadan doesn't sound like any fad diets

s65horsey likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    To be fair, that wasn't quite his point. The diet significantly post-dates Ramadan, and is probably consciously built off it. That's of course possible to do. By contrast, many Lent programs are somewhat trivial in scope and are hard to distinguish from general life improvement endeavors people might undertake anyway. That, I think, is sort of valid, except he doesn't really partake much in the religious content of either one.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  6. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Pretty sure his only "point" in the part I quoted was to half-heartedly deride people's Lenten sacrifices by making a snide pop culture reference in classic rogue_ten style?

Rogue_Ten, ma_petite and Souderwan like this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Rogue Ten is a pretty caustic poster, admittedly. But I think overall, he was trying to share genuinely about his experiences, and in seeking to make the contrast he did so in. . .basically the worst way possible. Largely intentionally. But since he's been around a dozen years we can just assume he doesn't mean any harm by it.

This isn't coming out as strong of a defense as I had imagined.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    After some thought, I've decided that I'm going to go 40 days without looking at a screen first thing in the morning. I find myself checking Facebook or the JCC or the news before I even get out of bed now. Which isn't good, or at least isn't a habit I want to encourage in myself.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I believe in a God that doesn't give a flying **** what we do for Lent.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've never joined Facebook in the first place, but I did quit Twitter about a month ago. I was going to do that anyway, but maybe I can say I quit it for Lent and will just stay quit. #thatworks

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    1.) when have you ever known me to "half-heartedly" deride things?

2.) when im taking the **** out of people on here i usually find its not only easier but more effective to keep things short and sweet. one liners work best to stick in your rabbit-like attention spans effectively and rile you up. if you see a long-ass post like that from me, it means i have something genuine to say, (or im posting word salad, stream of consciousness in a senate thread to make fun of/technically satisfy senate rules)

3.) i actually both pre- and post-edited that post to try and make it more tactful/fair. i recall removing two instances of the word "silly" and one instance of "tepid", for instance. so, ya know, im tryin' over here.

4.) i left the offending simile in because it was the best one i could think of. as wocky began to touch on, these lenten commitments i hear catholics discussing strike me as resembling bourgeois self-improvement drives that let us showcase how wonderful and individualistic we are, moreso than any spiritual pursuit ive ever had any respect for. i dont have any research nor am i willing to do any, but i would imagine lent used to be/still is in some quarters way burlier. id imagine the character that i find disappointing in modern lent in america (the only lent i have experience hearing about/participating in) is largely a product of concessions by catholic cultural practice to the demands of late capitalism and the individualistic zeitgeist. indeed i would be shocked if dudes were running around the medieval church talking about giving up listening to fife music or eating mutton for lent

5.) if american muslims had the same generational time of deep enmeshment in global capitalism that american catholics have, i dont doubt their practice would be similarly degraded in some ways. it will be interesting to see what concessions muslim practice of ramadan makes to these forces over time as they become more and more embedded in the global system. indeed, already there's plenty of stratification in practice of ramadan in different social and cultural contexts. for instance, OG bedouin muslims dont believe in swallowing their own spit during ramadan, counting that as drinking. so they spend ramadan constantly spitting during the day. understandably, this practice does not survive with urban muslims of the middle east, despite the fact that many of these people have fairly generationally recent ties to the rural, bedouin lifestyle

6.) let the like you received from a non-participating souderwan on this post serve as your Mark of Cain

EDIT: nevermind i guess souderwan was participating in this thread, i must have just slipped into a mini-coma from the trauma of having my eyes roll that far back into my skull while trying to read his post the first time. my bad

12. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I was also raised Catholic and this time of year mostly makes me nostalgic for mom and grandma's Lenten meals, in the sense of "Today we are not supposed to be eating X so I cooked Y instead", I didn't used to like them much but as years pass I have grown to appreciate them. So I will spend the next 40 days trying to replicate this or that recipe, especially now that grandma is no longer with us. That is what I am doing for Lent, so there.

Kiki-Gonn, PRENNTACULAR and ma_petite like this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    touche, souderwan. touche

14. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
  15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Do you mean you're going to forego using a computer altogether? Or only that it literally won't be the first thing you attend to upon awakening?

16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    It literally won't be the first thing I look at. I have to either look at a book or get out of bed and look out the window before I look at my phone or iPad or computer. It sounds stupid and small, but it was a nice little change this morning.

s65horsey likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I was raised a Catholic too, and went to a pretty fundamentalist Catholic school, and we didn't do **** for Lent other than praying. So I guess you're all stupid fake Catholics. The Pope hates you.

18. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I always give up coffee and one othe thing, Netflix this year.

It's the coffee part that makes we want to kill someone, which might be missing the point of the whole exercise, not sure.

19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm giving up alcohol and chocolate for the second straight year.
    If I gave up coffee I might as well quit my job, I sleep the entire afternoon.

I've found Lenten rituals vary widely from country to country. In the US, getting ashes and no meat on Fridays is standard, far less so here in Austria. My father-in-law is very observant, for example, and not even he gets ashes on AW.