main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What movie are you more excited about? VII/Yoda/Solo/Fett

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Which Movie are you more excited about??

1. Episode VII-IX

89 vote(s)
    83.2%
  2. Yoda Stand Alone

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Han Solo Stand Alone

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Boba Fett Stand Alone

17 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Darth Vader Stand Alone

14 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm definitely looking the most forward towards the continuation of the saga with Episode VII. The spinoffs are a neat and exciting idea but it depends on the characters. Someone else in the shoes of Han Solo is a scary thought...

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    The most profitable and entertaining ideas are a Solo and Fett film, which I'm all for. A Yoda film sounds cool on paper, but sitting through 2 hours of Yoda's style of speech might be tedious for many I suspect.

A Rogue Scuadron film would be Awesome, and I can see that happening. Highly doubt we'll get a Bossk film or minor character type film. Likely hood of them making money is to slim, regardless of how awesome they could be.

clone3131 likes this.
  3. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Nail. Head.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Spin-off movies don't have to be specifically about characters. The only one that looks like it has marketability is the Han Solo one because it could involve so many more characters like Chewbacca and Lando. For Boba Fett, a writer would have to almost revise the character completely to make him a watchable protagonist. I just don't get the Darth Vader movie desires. He is so iconic he would really need to be played just as we've seen him, size and voice, and Vader in the suit worked on screen in ANH, TESB, and RotJ because of his limitations and what he was used to do in those movies. When Vader first rose to his mechanical feet and showed some human distraught and emotion, audiences bashed it. I like preserving the appearance in ANH as suited Vader's first battle scene.
    The problem with that is Han would have to be young enough to not look too much like the Han of the Trilogy and with too many of the similarities where it just looks almost like a remake attempt.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  5. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not aware of any writers saying "they arent [sic] paying attention to anything from the EU." I know that the original announcement by Disney said the stories would be original, but you'd be pushing things to say that means that the EU was completely dissolved. I haven't heard Arndt, etc. come out saying they have decided to completely ignore the EU.

I think much of the EU will be scrapped (and should be if it gets in the way of a great story), but I'd be surprised if some of it isn't utilized.

6. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    here you go:

http://www.slashfilm.com/lawrence-k...new-star-wars-movies-im-trying-to-start-fresh

Further, i cant think of any decent writer who would WANT to be constrained by what was written in the EU. I also cant think of any movie series that accepted as "cannon" anything published in its EU universe. It would be unprecedented (and stupid), for any of these movies to take anything from the EU. To do so would not only destroy the creative process =for these new movies but also "open the door" to the EU and cause confusion among fans between what in the EU is "cannon" and what isnt. There is no reason at all for Disney to pay attention to the EU.

7. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    But that's my point. He doesn't say "[he's not] paying attention to anything from the EU."

...he wasn’t focusing on his previous scripts or on the extended Star Wars universe in his approach to writing the new film,” and “I’m trying to start fresh. There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new.

Maybe I'm taking his words too literally, but to me there's a huge difference between "not focusing on the extended Star Wars universe" and not paying attention to it.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Not if it has subtitles and is directed by Mel Gibson.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yoda film sounds like the most intriguing idea to me. Seems like there's so many directions you could go with it, while on the other hand I expect stuff Episode VII or young Han Solo to be more paint by the numbers. Maybe Fett as honorable mention, although that project more so than the others strikes me as one that will either turn out really good or ridiculously bad.

10. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    I personally think youre nit-picking his words and missing his obvious intent. If youre "starting fresh" you are, by necessity, completely ignoring the EU. I dont see how it can rationally be interepretted any other way. But i understand that many "hardcore" fans read every book they could get their hands and want to hold on to any shred of hope they can to think that the stories they read in the books will somehow be reimagined for the movies. While i understand the "feelings" of those people, i think its a silly position. Other than wanting to appease an extremely small minority of fans, theres simply no reason writers of theses new movies WOULD want to utilize anything from the EU. I think its possible that one of the star wars writers read a star wars EU book or played a videogame or watched an episode of the clone wars in the past and that might indirectly inspire some of his ideas for the new films, but there certainly is no reason to beleive any characters/plot lines would be directly drawn from the EU. For example, in the EU, Han and Leia had twins. Maybe in the sequels they have two or 3 kids. That wouldnt mean the idea was borrowed from the EU. It just means that the movies are supposed to focus on other generations of skywalkers and the kids had to come from Leia or Luke.

11. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I'm most excited for Episodes 7-9. I'm not thinking much about the spinoffs, but u can bet that if they announce and Obi-Wan solo movie i'd go crazy happy :p

12. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    I never voted for it, but a Vader movie would be big especially between ROTS and ANH it's 20 years so they could make a few even if the first one was a success.

Final scene Darth Vader star destroyer comes out of Hyper space on the blockade runner, roll credits

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A movie told from the Sith perspective would kick ass.

Something from the Old Republic era.

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    How about another Clone Wars movie that wraps up the show?

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    My pick would be a spinoff with Obi-Wan on Tatooine set in between ROTS and ANH--maybe an adaptation of the upcoming novel about that.

16. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Boba Fett - hunted by the Empire and ISB - Bourne style 'off the grid' -disintegrates his would be captor and makes Vader laugh, shrug, and add him to the payroll to do their future work such as hunting Solo.

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The Episodes. I don't really care about seeing the back stories of other characters. Star Wars works better for me as an ensemble sort of thing.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  18. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    I am sorry but one simply cannot dismiss the EU like this as if it was nothing. The EU is what kept alive SW for years after the OT and after the PT. Most of these stories are acknowledged canons as part of the compagny in the Lucasbook department and indeed part of the whole Universe created by George Lucas. As much as I like the Saga, to me without the EU SW would not have the same dept as it has today. Indeed the EU has taken care of many things! Talking about a Solo spinoff, I recommend you to read the Han Solo trilogy, this is very good SW and thta's why I think it would be a pity to stamp on this story simply to create something else which might not be better by the way. Why not adapt A.C Cripsen's trilogy then?

I think Lucasfilm/Disney is wise enough to understand that the EU is an important part of this universe and that many of these stories matters to the fandom. I don't expect the Expanded Universe to remain intact after all these films that will come out but if given the opportunity and the respect necessery it can adjust itself to the changes, it has always did so far.

19. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    You dont dismiss it as nothing. Its just not part of the theatrical cannon. They are like Marvel comic books to marvel movies. They both exist seperately but their continuity does not depend on eachother. Characters have completely different backstories in the comics vs the movies, and i dont see marvel fans whining about it. They accept that the movie universe and comic book universe are seperate.

The EU is a completely seperate universe from the movies, and there is no reason that Disney should feel obligated to respect the continuity of THAT universe as told by dozens of different authors who were operating outside of the cannonical SW universe. To do so, you'd be asking Disney, and the talented writers they hired, to confine their creativity within the parameters established by lesser writers who never intended for their books to be cannon to begin with. If you made the mistake of giving the EU too much importance in your mind, i'm sorry. But you shouldnt let your love of the EU stories affect your appreciation for the fact that we're getting new star wars movies that are going to be ORIGINAL and AWESOME.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  20. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Where is the Obi-wan option?

TreborSabreon likes this.
  21. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Uh...duh! Episode 7! :rolleyes:

TrandoJedi likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not because he showed emotion but because he screamed No in a totally cliché and cheesy and melodramatic way. I even like the dialogue before the big No but then the No comes and ruins the scene. To top it off, JEJ sounds way too booming. Lukes No was rawer.

23. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    No it isn't a completely separate universe! On the contrary it's part of the whole universe which is Star Wars. The heart of the franchise is the Saga, I think we all agree with that but the EU is what kept the blood running in the body for so long and still does it today. That was a big plus for SW compared with comics franchise that the universe is a continuity of stories all bound in the same chronology. You seem not to understand that these stories are part of the canon with the films as the central point. Their chronology has been established for decades now. The EU has been created on George Lucas' biding to create new stories and expand his unverse beyond the films. He was the one who hired first Timothy Zhan to have something to follow the OT. Of course these stories will never be considered as important as Lucas' films but that doesn't make them any less official and part of the whole. I am glad we will get some new Star Wars movies, Disney seems to have a vision but my heart is also with the EU stories I like nonethless and if they can fit well with the Lucasfilm/Disney's projects my appreciation will be even greater.

24. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    You seem to not understand that one of the writers for the new movies specifically came out and said he's not paying attention to anything in the EU. Like it or not, whatever you beleived about what was cannon and what wasnt can be thrown out the window.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Don't mention canon.
    It's not good for thread health.

On topic, the more I think about it, the more I hope they make a live action series about The Old Republic era. That would suit it better than a movie or a trilogy. Original characters, maybe with a mention or a cameo of some famous ones (Exar Kun, Revan, Naga Sadow, whoever).