main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Episode III sucked.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith

1. Anakin was dumb, and Hayden did a worse job than he did in AOTC.
    2. Everyone was boring, and Ian's acting is far inferior than his acting in ROTJ.
    3. The CGI, though better than the previous too, looked pretty fake at times, though it does have it's many great moments.
    4. The opening scene is a complete mess.
    5. Dialouge and acting. Nothing more needs to be typed.

Do you think Episode III sucked?

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nah, it's not a perfect movie, but I liked it well enough.
    As for your points:

1) Anakin was dumb or at least delusional. First when Palpatine tells him he has connection to the Siths Anakin barely reacts. Later he is all shocked when Palpatine reveals he is a Sith. But Hayden still did a better job than in AOTC, imo.
    2) I didn't find everyone boring. Ian showed some overacting but I wonder if the role demanded this from him. Reminds me of Mings portrayal in Flash Gordon.
    3) True
    4) I don't know what you think was a mess. It worked well enough for me.
    5) Dialogue and acting both seemed a bit better than in the previous movies. There were some bad scenes but there were also some good scenes (opera scene for instance).

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's probably the best SW film besides ESB.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine just told him of a Sith "legend". That doesn't necessarily equate to Palpatine being connected to the Sith. Palpatine presents himself as a student of esoterica, including his apparent interest in sculptures and artwork from other cultures and eras. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine him being interested in the legends of the Sith.

BoromirsFan, FARK2005, Samnz and 4 others like this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That is how I see it as well. Anakin accepts it as a matter of fact that he is dealing with an educated man. Not that he is dealing with a Sith.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The only things I didn't like about E3 were the Youngling scene in the Temple (hated it, cold) and Anakin's actual 'turn' (the light switch effect)- that alone should have been more gradual. Hell, even Luke's almost giving in the the Dark Side was more drawn out. Even perhaps a half hour more with Anakin starting to do Palp's bidding, and slowly getting more and more savage would have worked for me, but meh -

Hayden was wonderful - if you watch the CT and compare Hayden to VADER, and listen to him, you'll see and hear how he integrated Vader's JEJ voice and tonalities with Bob's fighting stances and even Prowse's Shatner like gestures.... Very impressive.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, I mean, I read a book on demonology once in junior high. Does that mean I'm connected to a Satanic cult?

BoromirsFan, ILNP and rumsmuggler like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    So Anakin is incapable of deductive reasoning?

1) The temple was already suspicious of Palps. They send Anakin to spy on him.
    2) Palps talks about old Sith legends, showing knowledge even the Jedi order doesn't have.
    3) Dooku told the Jedi that someone in the senate was a Sith.

Anakin should've least suspected that Palpatine is a Sith. His extremely surprised reaction just doesn't fit, imo.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    There is nothing in any of the films that suggest that Sith legends aren't known to the general public, something you could study in university and so on.

Also, Anakin trusts him. He's been under Palpatine's wing since he was a little boy.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    For a spam thread like this? Indeed.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Apparently Anakin didn't know about it and the Jedi do seem to be an authority on knowledge about Sith (the whole line about the all-encompassing Jedi archive in AOTC). Also, isn't it very fishy how Palpatine talks about the exact topic that is on Anakins mind at the same moment?

I would understand if he brushed aside his own doubts, but how can he act so surprised later? Any idiot could've seen through Palpatines manipulations at the opera.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Anakin is a young man, he isn't going to know everything. And Palpatine has been acting as his mentor for years. I see nothing suspect about any of this. In fact, it may be my favorite scene in the movie (this or the Order 66 purge). It comes across as one of the more natural moments in a trilogy that quite frankly comes across as forced all to often. It's a great scene.

And believe me, I'm not one of those fans that pulls punches when I think there is a flaw.

ILNP likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    We're going to have to agree to disagree about how suspicious Palpatines behavior really was.

The opera scene on its own is a great scene, I agree. What I have issues with is Anakins reaction later when he acts as if there has been no hint whatsoever about Palpatines true nature. I prefer to believe he already suspected it the whole time and chose to ignore the hints. Makes him seem more intelligent and fits with his later Vader persona.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I felt that Anakin's turn scene was very weak, but I was too distracted by Ian's demented vocals when he crowning Vader to be bothered by it.

El_Machete12 and fett 4 like this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Isn't there another whine thread like this already?

Julius Vernon and BoromirsFan like this.
  16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't know, I prefer beer [face_laugh]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    But they're not suspicious of him being a Sith at that point, otherwise Mace's later reaction makes no sense.

But that's not the situation as portrayed to Anakin. He doesn't say the Jedi order doesn't know of the legend, only that it's something they wouldn't be expected to tell Anakin about. From that POV the knowledge ( of the legend, at least ) is being portrayed as something that was "out there" and could have become known to a scholar of antiquity.

No, he said senators were under the influence of a Sith, which is not the same thing. Besides, he referred to senators and there is no particular reason his statement would be taken as being about the Chancellor. As Yoda pointed out in AOTC it could easily have been disinformation: Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are his ways now.

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't think Episode III sucked at all, but I also have the somewhat odd opinion of AOTC being my favorite PT film....hehe....

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Sorry, but I'm not in the mood to get into one of these endless arguments again. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

20. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    "Plagueis could save pregant women from dying during childbirth!"

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yeah I never got why Lucas thought it necessary to give Palps the scary monster voice when Anakin pledges loyalty to the graveyard smash

Zane the Reaper likes this.
  22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'll go a step further and say that AOTC is my favorite Star Wars film. As for the topic at hand, I could name any number of reasons why Sith is far removed from something that "sucks," but for now I'll just say that the rumination scene is one of the most moving passages of the entire series. I'll see and likely enjoy the spinoffs, but I highly doubt any of them will deliver anything as poetic and visually resplendent as this scene.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To be fair when your best friend is cheerfully talking about another happy landing after crashing into a tower that potentially killed thousands, your outlook is gonna be a bit twisted anyway.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It didn't suck

lbr789 and BoromirsFan like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    There was only half as much awkward romantic dialogue to deal with in this one too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.