main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TCW is a very poor telling of a star wars story.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthVendictivis, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    No, GG is a Jedi killer in all the EU, including the novel of RotS

That's how Mace Windu talk about GG in RotS.
    That's even better than in CW.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Really its like the OP hadn't watched most of the show.

And Mace said he was a coward in ROTS, in the movie.

TCW Grievous needs to win a big battle against the Republic much more than he needs to add a lightsaber to his belt.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Does not change the fact he's a dreadful foe, Mace said this mostly because he Force Crushed GG's chest then he ran away, does not change the fact he slaughtered the Jedi guarding Palpatine and killed a lot of Jedi in the war.

Actually I was wrong, not "he should be", he is a Jedi killer.

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    This basically sums up my response to this thread. Sure TCW has its flaws, but it beats the hell out of the PT in terms of OT connections and the character arcs of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think TCW really enhances the PT in a very good way. Especially in relation to Obi and Anakin definitely.

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Also, as far as "the telling of a Star Wars story" goes, I love the old school pulp/Flash Gordon vibe of Ep. IV and TCW captures that perfectly in some instances, sometimes better than some of the other films.

AkashKedavra_93 and Darthgoodguy like this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW increased my enjoyment of both AOTC and especially ROTS. It may simply have enhanced my general knowledge but I was able to get more from them with the understanding given to me by the exploration TCW has done, particularly with Anakin. I think TCW even enhanced ROTJ. I've never before felt much emotion for when Vader dies, but last time I watched it I did.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: TCW is a better precursor to Ep. III than Ep. I and Ep. II, and a better precursor to the OT than the entire PT.

9. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I'd say it's a better followup to/expansion of ANH than ROTJ and much of TESB as well.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  10. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Now when I watch ROTS I really feel like Obi-Wan and Anakin have had a history throughout this war. Their friendship no longer feels very forced and much of the other events don't feel random. I was wondered how the people of the Republic could turn against the Jedi and support the creation of a Galactic Empire so easily. TCW really expands the story.

A part of me is giddy Tarkin is in the show, I hope we get more Mon Mothma and Bail Organa in the future.

11. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Who are the characters whose intelligence were lowered? Name names!

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    1.Vizsla, he got everything in control and chose to put Maul brothers in the same cell and didn't order his Death Watch to kill them but accepted the duel.

2. Satine, she became a moron, didn't know what to do when crisis happened and only helped Maul brothers by telling them about Alemc and didn't seek the right one for help.

3. Sidious, he risked himself to deal with Maul brothers.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  14. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    No.

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Good heavens! Were any characters' intelligence increased?

16. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I've give you Vizsla's decision to imprison rather than kill Maul and Savage after turning on them. That makes no practical sense, I don't have a clue one what he was thinking doing that.

But ignoring that for a second, the duel is a different story entirely. Death Watch wants to be like the ancient Mandalorian Crusaders; they want all Mandalorians to be like the Crusaders again. Pre Vizsla is preaching about the return of the ancient codes and warrior faith, the Canons of Honor and the worship of war. If he refuses to accept Maul's challenge in accordance to the laws he's been espousing all this time, he proves himself unworthy of the ideals Death Watch seeks to emulate and there's a good chance his own people would turn on him. Death Watch would've killed Maul, but then how long until they turned on Vizsla for failing to be the leader he claimed?

Satine didn't become a moron. She was exactly she'd been since day one. Satine's policies do not work, they're too extreme in their devotion to an empty form of pacifism, and she refuses to place the needs of her people above her own ideology.

Dark Lord Tarkas and rumblewagon like this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I gotta be honest. I actually became a bigger SW fan because of TCW. Thanks to TCW I was able to name all the background characters in the PT and many on the OT. That alone made things more interesting. A little more than two years ago I couldn't do that. But where TCW really added to ROTS for me was with all the curtain it pulled back on the stuff going on politically. It fleshes out Anakin's brother with Obi-wan and how he relates to other Jedi, man, the "The Citadel Arc", Padawan Lost arc , and the Rako Hardeen arc really come to mind. They gave me more sight into his psych. I also find it fun to actually hear those lines people say TCW ruins and fanon stuff together on the spot. I find TCW enhances more than it hurts.

With ROTJ I'm pretty sure the reason I teared up for Vader's death last I watch was because with Vader's last act being to save his son which brings Anakin Skywalker back I was able to think back to the hero that is TCW Anakin and remember the good I saw in him then. He just doesn't have hardly any memorable heroic moments in the PT itself.

18. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Thats awesome TCW helped make you more/bigger of a SW fan. This show has definitely made me proud to be a fan of such a wonderful universe. It definitely is a large enhancement to Anakin's character. Who kinda comes off as selfish often in AOTC and ROTS at times.

The most heroic movement of Anakin's story is definitely saving his son.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    TrandoJedi, LOL glad someone thinks so. I always enjoyed the movies and contrary the popular belief had seen the OT plenty of times in my day, the PT much less so. I just always thought of them as good movies. It was the animation buff in me that brought me to TCW and subsequently turned me into big fan. That's much to the chagrin of one of my friends IRL who now jokes ST needs an animated series because he's tried to get me into that for years with no luck.

I think its Anakin who has and will benefit the most from TCW when all is said and done. Its going to make his fall much more sympathetic by further fleshing out whats up with him mentally and showing how his relationships with Obi-wan and the Jedi Council will deteriorate and how Palpatine plays on that ball of fear for a long time.

I agree Anakin's greatest moment is saving his son. I like how TCW gives me something positive to look back on when he dies. Anakin the hero of the Clone Wars which Obi-wan described in ANH. He's no longer just a lie or a myth. Anakin the hero existed.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Vizsla is not some honorable champion, not at all. He just asked for criminal organization's help, let them threaten his own people and deceived them to win the reputation. I've seen honorable warriors, I've seen dirty manipulators. But someone who would use dirty trick to deceive his own people then accepted a duel from a dark outsider when he could use his men to blow his head off, this does not add up.

Well she still tried to fight against those forces in previous seasons, and her action after being capture is just too dumb.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm with Seerow insofar as I didn't know the names of any of the Jedi killed in the Order 66 montage in Ep. III before getting into TCW, and now that scene has way, way more meaning for me.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Then you don't agree that TCW has built Anakin into a more likable hero and expanded his relationships? Or that TCW has pulled back some curtains? Just curious, why is that?

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree with you on those points too. The main thing I differ with you on is that TCW didn't get me more into Star Wars, it just got me back into it. There are no characters from the OT I only learned the names of through TCW. Even at times it wasn't something I was indulging in regularly, Star Wars has been one of my favorite franchises for basically my entire life.

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ah... I'll humor you all someday with an essay on my journey.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Putting the protagonists in the same prison cell is a pretty common trope, even Vader did it in ESB.

Vizla had already been established as a cultural/religious zealot who put honour over everything else (even loyalty to his own planet). He'd already betrayed Maul, but not dishonourably (at least according to his sense of honour), he'd changed the deal and left Maul to pray that he didn't change it further. (Sorry.)

Hindsight bias.

Pffft. I don't think the Super Maulio Brothers posed much of a physical threat. He risked exposure perhaps, but what else would you expect him to do? It's not a job he can trust to anyone else in the whole galaxy. Maul forced his hand.

The biggest 'idiot', if the term even applies, was Maul. His single minded obsession gave him a false perspective and he overlooked the massively obvious.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.