main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know but I could not help myself :p

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Yeah, like the Duros thing *ducks*

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    So some pretty good diversity in the second issue of Star Wars. The squadron Leia assembles consists of her, Luke, and Wedge, plus six new characters:

Rus Kal Kin is a male Saurin.
    Prithi is a human female from Chalacta (which is based on India I guess? I hate when planets = countries/race. At least they aren't classified as near-humans :rolleyes:)
    Falback Kord is a human male. He looks like he could be Greek or something.
    Tess Alder is a white human female.
    Ardana Cinn is a female Rutian Twi'lek (how come the rarest supspecies is the most common one represented?)
    And Gram Cortess is a white human male.

In addition, there is a female redheaded Imperial ensign named Llona on the Devastator.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Explain Corellians

TrakNar likes this.
  5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are Corellians supposed to represent a real life country? They don't as far as I can tell.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    They often come off as vaguely analogous to Americans. Irish-Americans, if Stackpole is the author.

7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    There seems to be a preference for monochrome Twi'leks more than anything, whether blue, green, or red, rather than the generally lighter and mixed toned-shades. I suspect, in comics at least, that happens to be easier to draw and provides better contrast.

Or it could be that blue simply polls as 'hotter.'

8. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Well, most humans in SW seem to act the same regardless of which planet they come from, IMO. Although now that I think back, I can remember the Irish-Americans = Corellians vibe from Stackpole.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oriental should only refer to people in Asia Minor, or Persia at most. Linguistic degradation makes me sad.

patchworkz7 likes this.
  10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Meh still too white.

Contessa likes this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep I am also surprised there aren’t more diverse humans, especially as DMZ had just about every ethnicity show up.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Dude, that deserves major diversity points in my book. I cannot remember the last time we had a Saurin character. As a fan of alien diversity, I heartily approve!

--Adm. Nick

TrakNar likes this.
  13. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    I am biased in favor of living vicariously through fictive characters whose physiology at least approximates the Human species'. Mostly because my imagination imagines images based on my own distinctly Human bodily experiences, which are of course the only data I have about the world around me. I have no material from which to fabricate the sensations of being, say, a Bouncer, and authors in this franchise don't give me much with which to work.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    When in the ocean or a pool, I do get a sense of being a Mon Cal. Also when I sit in swivel chairs in front of large windows. I can't sit in a chair and not swing around like Ackbar. It just fits. :p

--Adm. Nick

15. Karohalva

May 27, 2008
    Your jest actually illustrates my point: projection is experiential.

16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    He even got the naming conventions right! Brian Wood did some serious research. =D=

17. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Agreed you already have 3 White Humans in Leia, Luke and Wedge. Might as well make those other 3 not white.

Contessa likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's Nick - he's not joking.

AdmiralNick22 , TrakNar and Zeta1127 like this.
  19. Karohalva

May 27, 2008
    Perhaps. However, I do posit that fear of bias is a shameful hindrance. I am biased in favor of characters being a species which is relative to me. There are those who are biased in favor of species which are not relative to me. With only two choices, bias in favor of the latter is, in fact, bias against the former. Frankly, bias is fungible, which means diversity is in the eye of the beholder.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Honestly, there comes a point where I don't care how the author handles it; I still want to see a lead character who isn't a white Human. I don't care as much about the gender as I do the species.

21. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    That would be greatly appreciated

22. Karohalva

May 27, 2008
    I want a lead character who is Human of either gender whose pigmentation is unmentioned.

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Implying they won't just make them white like with Revan and Exile

Contessa likes this.
  24. Karohalva

May 27, 2008
    They were visually depicted. I want a book character left faceless. What need is there to specify skin color when its importance as a distinguishing feature is nonexistent in a world of aliens who make all humans look identical by comparison?

25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Agree with Karohalva.

As much as it's effective an interesting to have creatures and sentients that are off the human baseline, the further you go the harder it is to feel a connection.

I think books are probably a little more effective at getting the point across if only because they have more room and often the ability to go into the thoughts of non-biped/human-like characters, but once you get too far out it just gets harder and harder to have as much empathy.