main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    if you're running a bidness (especially a small one), you're not going to be thinking about multiple schools of economic thought and continuous research. you're going to be thinking "what am i going to need to do to keep this thing going now that i am compelled to pay my workers a couple bucks more an hour?" and one of the easiest ways to compensate is to raise the prices of your goods, services, what have you. so if we do this, that is a possible eventuality that we are going to have to accept.

2. Drunk Ben Kenobi

Drunk Ben Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2013
    The adjustments that will have to be made by raising minimum wage to $9, the initial reaction may be to lay off jobs (or perhaps not?) but as growth continues in this country and if consumer/corporate confidence can settle (hopefully by averting sequestration and putting in place a plan of sensible deficit reduction cutes) companies will be forced to hire more workers to keep up with demand. We're not there yet, but we're moving in the right direction.

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    IF it continues in this country. we can't have another quarter like the last one. quick everybody! buy lots of stuff! expensive stuff! max out those already maxed out credit cards! do it!!!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    For what it's worth, I doubt that there will be many outright lay-offs. Cutting hours, squeezing margins, and minor price increases will probably the typical business decisions. There is a decent chance that you will see an impact on the official unemployment rate though. If, for example, $9/hour is above the market equilibrium hourly wage for unskilled labor, then more people will enter the labor force to seek employment. The Labor Force Participation rate will rise, as will the unemployment rate. This wouldn't so much because the underlying economic situation deteriorated further, but because the ratio of people seeking work to the number of available jobs changes. This is tricky to predict though because no one knows for sure where, broadly speaking, the market equilibrium wage is at in the first place.

Drunk Ben Kenobi likes this.
  5. Drunk Ben Kenobi

Feb 13, 2013
    It's tricky but I'm willing to bet the equilibrium wage is not $7.25/hr.

6. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Higher or lower?

7. Drunk Ben Kenobi

Feb 13, 2013
    I believe it's higher. The minimum wage is consistently low when compared to the increased cost of living.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    That is messed up. In California anyone can vote absentee, no excuse needed. I haven't voted in person since the 2000 primaries, my first time voting ever.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That is what happens when a GOP desperate to regain full control of Congress and get the White House in 2016 has a fully controlled GOP Gov. in a state like Virginia.

10. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    If it's higher, then it could be the best possible outcome in the near term. The unemployment rate would likely go down and it would help relieve consumer debt burdens.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A Felony? Over boobs?

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Because, you know, the sight of them scar kids for life, make men all crazy...:rolleyes:

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    So, the answer to topless rallies promoting women's equality is...to send them to prison?

How very progressive of them.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ugh these people make me angry. The obvious solution is to stop making me angry.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It looks like Hagel could still be confirmed in another 1-2 weeks. But still... :mad:

Imagine if the Democrats filibustered the Secretary of Defense nomination under Bush, how much the Republicans would be screaming bloody murder.

And all this because McCain still wants to know what happened in Benghazi (wtf does Hagel have to do with Benghazi??? and he's already gotten al the facts)... and Ted Cruz acting like the new McCarthy.

Oh, and Wayne LaPierre continues to disgust me. Says the Muslims and Mexicans are going to kill everyone without an assault weapon, a matter of "when" not "if"... :mad:

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What bothers me with McCain is that he apparently said yesterday or today that while he still has questions, that the GOP shouldn't be using the filibuster. If he felt that way then why didn't he join Snowe and Murkasky (two of the only three GOP members who voted yes) in voting for the nomination when he saw what way the wind was blowing?

And now they're apparently saying they will continue the filibuster of Obama's nominees after Congress comes back for recess according to CNN.:mad:

Time to say 'screw you Fed. Appeals court' and do some recess appointments.

And people wonder why some have started calling the GOP economic and political terrorists.

Edit: As for Wayne LaPierre and the NRA. When you have GOP commentators like Joe Scarbourgh saying your propaganda's going to far and nothing but 'scare tactics' maybe it's time for the NRA leadership to consider electing somebody other than mr. LaPierre as their mouthpiece.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh, but Wayne LaPierre is making lots and lots of $$$ for the NRA, look at all the new NRA members. That's what it's really all about.

Still, I wish the FBI would grow some balls and make some arrests. LaPierre, the gun guy, is calling for people to "fight" for their freedom across the country.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sadly if the FBI won't arrest Limbogus for hinting that maybe people should riot at the Democratic National Convention in Denver five years ago, I have no hope that they would ever do the same to LaPierre.

21. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Yeah like that's going to discourage the gun extremist from "fighting" for their freedom.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What's the line? Seriously. When does this rhetoric officially become inciting violence and threatening the government?

23. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    I understand where you're coming from, but whether right or wrong, it's just as easy to incite threatening actions or violence by making such arrests. These kind of measures can easily fan the flames. It would basically be fulfilling extremists' paranoid fears and justify further extremism.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I still wonder what the line actually is...

But anyways, FreedomWorks (Dick Armey, Tea Pary, angry town halls) has made a fake sex video of Hillary Clinton and a Panda, forcing their young female interns to act out obscene sexual acts as "Hillary" and the "Panda."

Because... you know... umm... well... 'wtf, why not'?? [face_sick]:confused::oops:[face_sick]

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2...n-sex-tape-freedomworks-matt-kibbe-dick-armey

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What. The. Frelling. Hell?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.