main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Palpatine we saw in "The Lawless" the best lightsaber performance we have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Again, the only part CW GG is overpowered compare other EU is he caught Shaak Ti easily. Other than that, it's what GG should be, a dreadful Jedi killer.

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Considering everyone is overpowered and it's all artistic licence, I can live with it.
    [​IMG]

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The best outside of the movies, yes.

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    He's not underpowered in the recent arcs; he's just the way he should be. Definitely more preferable to having him as a villain sue.

Sitara and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I loved Grievous in the CW microseries, I was at the point of calling him my favorite character and so pumped for his appearence in ROTS. Republic Commando only helped that excitement. A true reason to fear the Separatists.

But instead George wanted Grievous to be the cowardly version of Darth Vader. :(

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, he should a dreadful Jedi Killer than someone who could not take out a padawan in short time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    No, he should be a cyborg that can stand up to a Jedi rather than some mindless, embarrassing villain sue.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He's not mindless, he's very smart in CW and other EU, he knew how to use his advantage(extra hands, leg as weapon and fear) against the Jedi, in TCW meh.

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Let's not go here again!

10. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008

That's kind of the point. Maul and Savage are running around with red lightsabers, pretending they're all that. Sidious had to make an example of them. He did that in style.

11. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Yeah that was dumb. Savage and Maul should have put up a way better fight considering all their fights in the past. They'res nothing fun about a lightsaber fight where one guy is just toying with the other. It was like a spit in the faces of Savage and Maul. Based on their previous fights with other opponents they should have done much much better.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    At what point was he ever at risk? He was playing. This was his version of golfing or killing time. At no point did he seem concerned. He did seem a bit ticked off about having to leave Coruscant to deal with Maul, but he walks out of his ship, chokes two guards without breaking stride. He then waltzes in, again choking two more guards.

Then, after throwing Maul and Savage against the wall, making it clear he can pin them there with ease, he LETS them down and waits for them to ignite their sabers, laughing all the way. He then ignites his own sabers and lights them, and again, laughs as the two fight him. This was Sidious playing with his food. This was like the kid who enjoys lighting ants on fire with a magnifying glass. Savage and Maul had no chance.

Even when Savage got that sucker shot in, something that killed Adi Gallia (several decades his junior) he rolled it off and with a flick of his wrist, dragged both Maul and Savage down with him while he came to a perfect landing. Then, after knocking Maul aside and just fighting Savage, he didn't bother to ignite his sabers for several seconds. Instead, he was just flipping and dancing around him, easily ducking Savage's clumsy moves. Then he gets bored and easily kills Savage, before taking down Maul.

This was a mini vacation for Sidious. Most Galactic rulers go to the beach or a nice summer home. Maybe go shooting or play a sport. But Palpatine goes sith killing. :cool:

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    This is Darth Sidious were talking about not just some random Jedi or Pirate. I'd of been surprised if they could of held their ground against him. As cool as Maul and Savage are Sidious is one of the most powerful Sith...ever IMO.

14. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I should think that their inability to defeat Obi-Wan on Florrum is more of an indictment than their inability to threaten Sidious.

CT-867-5309 and Rawne like this.
  15. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    ROTS didn't exactly portray Grievous as a super badass either...

I loved Sidious's mastery over Maul and Savage, he was toying with them really, but in terms of sheer mastery I would have to say off the top of my head the Palpatine vs. Jedi duel in ROTS, excluding Mace of course AND Tryanus's mastery over Anakin

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    1. There is one Jedi on Mandalore, he could sense Sidious' presence when he used the Dark Side to fight. Other Jedi might do as well.
    2. "The Chancellor went missing during that time" could be known.
    3. "Darth Sidious is controlling the senate." was told by Dooku.
    4. Once his identity exposed, his grand plan=ruined.

Because he was Force Crushed by Mace Windu on the chest.

17. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    1. How do you know the Force works that way? We're talking about a guy who can sit across a desk from half the Jedi Council and smile at them without them having a clue as to his true nature.
    2. It could. But it is not like the Jedi have access to where the Chancellor is at all times; if they did, they wouldn't need Anakin to "report on all the Chancellor's dealings" in ROTS.
    3. The Jedi seem to have taken that to mean, if true, Sidious has influence over the Chancellor. People like Sate Pestage and Mas Amedda are their possible suspects (according to the ROTS novel).
    4. Yes, but this wasn't at risk during The Lawless.

18. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Return.
    Hope.
    Deceived.

EOT

07jonesj and Mia Mesharad like this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    1. Yes, when he was not using the power of the Dark Side he could hide himself. Yoda was able to sense Maul right after he regained sanity from lightyears away, Maul was able to sense him in Lawless as well. In the novel of RotS, Anakin could feel Sidious in the Force when he was fighting Windu. Obi Wan also sensed the darkness was approaching when Sidious' shuttle came to Mustafar.
    2. It still could risk himself, and it's not like he didn't have anyone to do the work for him.
    3. But if they found Palpatine is missing and sensed the Darkness on Mandalore, then it = GAME OVER unless the Jedi are retarded.
    4. It was, just the Jedi suddenly couldn't sense anything, not good enough on story telling.

Why risk himself when he got both sides to work for him? Do you see him go around to do a lot of killing in PT or OT? No, even in OT, he didn't go "Ah I sensed Luke I'm gonna go beat him myself!"

20. Darth_Cronos

Darth_Cronos Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2009
    No in my opinion the dooku vs savage and ventress duel or dooku vs the nightsisters/ventress duel are best so far

21. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    His action scenes in CW were mindless fanwank meant to make impressionable viewers go, "ZOMG!!1!!! cybork kan killz jedi!!!11" Oh, and him using his own feet to carry his lightsabers? Retarded combat technique which serves no purpose.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  22. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    1. Sidious is more powerful than Maul in every aspect, so you can't compare the two when it comes to Force Concealment. As for your other examples, they all occur at a time when Sidious is not concealing himself, after he has stepped out into the open and gone into full-on Sith mode.
    2. That's just repeating what you said before, rather than countering my point, so I don't know what else to say to that.
    3. For the sake of argument, let's just pretend the Jedi could sense Sidious. Why would they say "The Chancellor wasn't in his office most of yesterday, and we sensed something fishy going on over at MAUL-CONTROLLED Mandalore. The only explanation is that Palpatine is a Sith Lord, and has nothing to do with the CIVIL WAR BREAKING OUT ON THE PLANET."

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'd go with Yoda vs Dooku myself, but the one in The Lawless is probably second.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    1. Sidious is clearly not concealing himself on Mandalore, not even before the fight, it was said clearly in the novel and Maul sensed him in the cartoon.
    2. The Jedi had chance to know, then why take the risk when he got many people to work for him? Does it fit his style?
    3. They would sense a dreadful darkness on Mandalore, much stronger than Maul or Dooku, so mostly it is Maul and Dooku's master, Sidious. Then if they know Palpatine went missing that day, they would suspect him and start to investigate about his departure and the situation of Mandalore, that could put his identity in a great risk.

Not at all. In CW he was extremely smart in the 2 fights.
    1. He does not use his Fan-style unless multiple opponents came close, so he didn't let it slow his move.
    2. He ambush the Jedi when they were so tired.
    3. He didn't use his other 2 arms from the beginning and save them for surprise.
    4. He use his legs as weapon well.

25. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    "They would sense"? You're making too many presumptions on how the Force, and Sidious' ability to utilise it, works and running with them rather than taking what was presented to you.

Apply some basic deductive reasoning:

The Jedi didn't sense this darkness on Mandalore.
    Ergo, Sidious kept his presence successfully hidden.
    Ergo, there's no reason to question that there would ever have been a risk of detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.