main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Isnt Anakin a bit too young for Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luisiana Jones, Dec 12, 2012.

1. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    All I'm saying is that Anakin met tons of hot politicians and damsels-in-distress while training under Obi-Wan. Toss in Aayla Secura and Barriss Offee and I don't see why
    Padme isn't long forgotten.

BoromirsFan and CT-867-5309 like this.
  2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Anakin had dreams about her. He can see the future, after all.

3. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    Barriss Offee?

you mean the one dressed as a nun?

yup I can totally see why Anakin would think woah..

:p

edit: nevermind I was thinking Luminara :p

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    This is just my speculation, but I think it always meant a great deal to Anakin that Padmé noticed him and cared about him when he was just a slave boy. When they first meet, even Qui-Gon and Jar Jar essentially ignore Anakin and yet Padmé stops and speaks to him just as she would anyone else. For Anakin who desperately wants to be seen as a person ("I'm a person and my name is Anakin!"), this would have really impacted him I imagine.

When he later meets politicians, damsels in distress, and other female Jedi, though, they would have seen him as another Jedi (and one with a great deal of potential at that) or maybe even the "Chosen One". But Padmé saw him when he was still a nobody and she still cared regardless.

RogueDianoga, boonjj, kainee and 2 others like this.
  5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

You're trying to apply logic to love?

RogueDianoga and kainee like this.
  6. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Yes they can, according to Lucas. They just can't have like, steady relationships like marriage. So it's like a friends with bennies thing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    The force or something others will say.

I don't know, and to be honesty Han was 10 or so years older than Leia and that creeper me out the first time I learned that. Anyway she is only five years it is not like she is 40 something. Then we can discuss how weird things are.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Even if she were 40 it wouldn't be creepy as long as he were, say, in his mid-20s. It's only creepy if she's old enough to be his mother--or he's old enough to be her father.

9. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    The love story was awful anyway. He kills children! Let's marry him. Anyone ever notice that Hayden Chrsitensen looks nothing like Jake Lloyd.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not that debate again.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
  12. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    American Reunion.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Have you ever read The Approaching Storm? :p [face_sick]

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    There's likely a wee bit of misogyny at work, too, unfortunately. Ya know...

Older women shouldn't "hit" on younger guys; but older guys can hit on younger women just fine. :rolleyes:

(Even more bizarre since Padme never really pursued Anakin in a sexual or romantic way).

Though I'd say that lack of familiarity, which you ascribe to the discomfort, is also part-and-parcel of the issue, yes.

That's a neat observation and sorta true. I should just point out, however, that Padme is looking vacantly around the shop initially. It's actually Anakin who takes Padme by surprise by piping up with a question: "Are you an angel?" This elicits a monosyllabic "what?" from Padme (significant given her high speech as monarch/diplomat/tactician/planner), which is the same sound Obi-Wan makes when Anakin challenges his authority in his first scene with Padme in the next movie, and which Anakin himself makes, as Vader, after his wingmen go kaput -- courtesy of a returning smuggler and his Wookiee co-pilot -- in the Battle of Yavin. All these characters have the capacity to be caught off-guard. And don't overlook the reverse: Anakin innocently inquiring after Padme, unconcerned (and unaware) of her royal deportment and duties, guilelessly associating her with "the most beautiful creatures in the universe", which must surely have left its mark in her heart also.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's exactly what it is when we're talking about AOTC. People who think she's too old for him in TPM, just think she's hitting on a 10-year-old.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Force tickling some fancies, I would.;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Padme flat out dismisses him after seeing him again for the first time in 10 years with "Annie, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine". She is not attracted to him at all when she sees him again. It's basically him showing off by floating pears and little floaty decorative orbs that she starts to look at him differently.

kainee likes this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Corny as that angel-line sounded at first, it was deft nonetheless.

anakinfansince1983 I am a graduate. She made me a playboy before I even knew what one was.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Except for the fact that he was calling her an alien. :p

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nah, I have no problem with the age gap.
    I have more of a problem with the angel thing. It reminds me of the angel or whore dilemma: In the mind of certain men or women the partner is either angel or whore, pure and serene or dirty and wild, not a real person, an ideal, a fantasy creature. I'm afraid Anakin might have perceived his spouse as such a fantasy creature.

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  21. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Some of y'all are over analyzing Anakin's comment. He was just paying her a compliment by calling her beautiful.

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    He said he did think about her every day for ten years and we must keep in mind he barely knew her after TPM. IMO that points more to obsession than to love.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't take that statement quite that far. There are many people that I think about once a day or so and I'm not obsessed with any of them, and Padme was featured pretty heavily in the media so it's not as if he didn't have reminders.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    In the real world brief relationships (even of the platonic variety) can stick with people for years without the thoughts of times gone by becoming a life-crippling obsession. I see no reason the same shouldn't go for a, you know, wistful space fantasy where a young slave turned knight can't help but hold on to thoughts of a strong, beautiful queen who showed him kindness above and beyond what others of that time did.