main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Kashyyk as seen by Lucas and Zahn

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Heywood_Floyd, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Heywood_Floyd

Heywood_Floyd Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2013
    In ROTS we finally get to see the wookie planet of Kashyyk. In 'Heir To The Empire' Timothy Zahn wrote in great detail about the planet (trees that towered into the atmosphere, cities built in the canopy - so high that you couldn't see the ground below - held up by the strength of branches). It was a realistic world where you'd expect only a Wookie to survive.

In ROTS, Kashyyk mirrored the landscape of Vietnam with a few large trees. It wasn't nearly as impressive as Zahn's vision.

So two questions:

I was curious about how you guys felt about the look of Kashyyk in ROTS. Was it underwhelming? Or just right? Am I just nitpicking? :confused:

I'm also curious as to why George didn't use more of Zahn's realistic vision of Kashyyk. I know the EU is outside the bubble of George's imagination...but you'd think that George's imagination would've come up with a better setting for the Kashyyk clone wars battle. Just my opinion.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    ROTS' Kashyyyk was based on Ralph McQuarrie's design work for Kashyyyk.

What a strange statement.

Alexrd likes this.
  3. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I agree with you on this. I enjoyed the planet in the movie though. Very beautiful. If you think kashyyk looks boring in episode 3. You should see it in star wars battlefront game! :)

4. Heywood_Floyd

Feb 11, 2013
    Realistic in the sense that it's Star Wars (not scientifically accurate 100% of the time). I meant that Wookie's are incredibly rugged and adept creature - with claws that can easily latch onto trees/vines etc. From what I can see in ROTS, it's not a world where these evolutionary traits are that necessary.

CloneTrooperFox - don't get me wrong, I think it's a beautiful planet in the movie...but it does seem a less dimensional world than I would've expected for a creature like the Wookie to live.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I always assumed the place in ROTS was, like, the beach. Since there was a beach and all. The other-type of Kashyyk is still there but, y'know, deeper.

lbr789 and Heywood_Floyd like this.
  6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I felt like the humongous Kashyykk was in there somewhere in ROTS. I don't know if TFU is the best example but the Vader-intro of the game seemed to have pretty large tress at times.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Lol...
    I saw Kashyykk first in the holiday special, not in a Zahn novel.

. "In ROTS, Kashyyk mirrored the landscape of Vietnam with a few large trees. It wasn't nearly as impressive as Zahn's vision."
    That was on a coast. The super forest with the multi layered death trap is inland I assume.

SithStarSlayer and Heywood_Floyd like this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That is precisely what Dark Lord said about it: Rwookrrorro was "on the other side of the escarpment".

SithStarSlayer and Heywood_Floyd like this.
  9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    If I recall correctly, some of the special features in the DVD bonus disc remark that they drew on paintings from the Holiday Special for inspiration, especially for the tree homes and general environment.

Heywood_Floyd likes this.
  10. Heywood_Floyd

Feb 11, 2013
    Ahh, the Holiday special was a bit before my time. Thanks for the replies everyone! Makes a bit more sense now.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I faintly remember that.
    It was before my time too, but between crappy video recordings and the internet, I saw it.

13. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I love the picture of the little one!!! :p

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I sat three feet in front of the tv and made sure to tell the room to shut up each time somebody talked.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did that include unintelligible wookie growls? Which eats up, like, 20 minutes of the special.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Maybe he understands Wookiee.

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    As a child of the OOT who also remembers that Wookie Storybook (though has dim memories of the HS), it was great to see finally see Kashyyk in a SW film after hearing about it for 25+ years. To finally actually see Chewbacca's home planet was the culmination of years of wondering what it would look like on-screen. Specifically, the fast-paced scene when the droids came out of the water & the wookies charged to attack them was superb.

I didn't feel that the sequence was underwhelming - however, my beef with the Kashyyk sequence is that it was way too short. I remember when I first saw ROTS in the theatre, seeing that scene, and then thinking to myself, "That's it?" At the least, I would have liked to have seen more of the planet - even 5-10 more minutes would have been nice. Granted, I understand that this was intended to be a fast-paced battle scene, but IMHO it went way too quickly...I don't think there were any deleted scenes from Kashyyk either...

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Or, maybe I was yelling at my family in the room and NOT at the walking carpets on TV.:p

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Hahaha.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The EU Kashyyk was too much of an Endor retread. Only thing disappointing about the ROTS version of the planet was that it was such a blink and miss it appearance.