main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Ewoks, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Ewoks, Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

67.9%
  2. Nay

34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

I don't personally care for EU explanations at all. They don't carry much weight with me personally. It's obvious what the filmmakers intended.

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    An average moviegoer wouldn't over think a film about space ships and people with mind powers.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

Movies are always judged on their own merit. The Star Wars trilogy are some of the most iconic movies in film history. They have been analyzed in great detail by movie goers, academics, critics, filmmakers.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Should have been Wookies without question.

Have to say I always find it funny how Stormtroopers can be killed by being hit with sticks or arrows when there wearing armour [face_laugh]

Didn't Lucas also do an Ewok spin-off film, suggests to me he was trying to start up a toy line.

5. starkiller1980

starkiller1980 Jedi Knight

Jul 12, 2010
    What's an Ewok?? I dont remember them mentioned in the movies...
    But, Yea! for killer teddy bears!

CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How did the Viet Cong hold off the "superior" US forces on the ground? Seems to me we "should have" had a military advantage - we did in the air but we still fought for years. And yeah, I remember those days.

7. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Toy Sellers, but okay nonetheless.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Short answer: They didn't. The Viet Cong as a cohesive fighting force didn't exist after the Tet offensive; it was overwhelmingly conventionally armed and trained NVA units after 1968.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I was in elementary school... I'll defer to your knowledge (not a snark, I know you're in a position to know better than I).

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah-I really dislike the Vietcong-Ewoks analogy as a general rule because it's only vaguely equivalent and also panders to a popular perception that's not accurate at all. I'd be quite down with a Native Americans/Westerners in general analogy, though. We're supposed to feel some tragedy with the Ewoks, I think; here's these at-one-with-nature Stone Age guys taking on a remorselessly brutal expansionist power(s) for no reason beyond some other guys are, and their home gets turned into a war zone because of it. People don't bring up that the Ewok ground fight doesn't glamorize fighting at all in a fair number of parts-Corpsey the Ewok being one, and the various Ewoks that we see get vaporized by AT-STs are more. They're hardly the bad and worse choice Vietnam as a country was facing from the late 1940s on. :p

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Yay in principle, nay in practice.

I grew up with the Ewoks cartoons and comics, I'm not that jaded. I remember Ewoks more fondly than Droids, put it that way.

I discovered the Ewok movies in the mid 90s and have loved them dearly ever since.

Ewok Poet and DarthBoba like this.
  12. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I also called them teddy bears when i was younger!!!! Its okay to hug an ewok. They are life sized teddy bears :)

13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I only brought the Viet-Cong thing up because Lucas has spoken of them specifically as an inspiration for the guerilla tactics and underdog position of the Empire. The fact that Nixon was an inspiration for Palpatine plays into this, but let's not forget that the Vietnamese were fighting off imperialism a good while before we got involved. The fact that they beat off the French isn't to be underestimated, as they could be fairly brutal in the lengths they would go to in order to hold onto their colonies (employing torture and assasinations in Algeria, for instance). By the time we got involved with Vietnam it was certainly becoming a proxy war with the Soviets, but the VC were holding their own, at least.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They fought with the standard weapons of an infantry army. They had all sorts of things like assault rifles and mortars. They weren't fighting with sticks and rocks. It's not a good analogy.

I know what the movie was going for, I just don't think it worked very well. You have to present something people can buy into, even in a movie about laser swords and magic. And an elite fighting force getting turned into the keystone cops by teddy bears with slingshots doesn't really fit that bill IMO.

Darth_Pevra and DarthBoba like this.
  15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Thank God the Ewoks had the right to bear arms.

And bear legs. And bear ears. I'm so sorry.

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's OK, I laughed :D

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But you had not problem with all the bad guys having British accents while all the good guys had American ones :confused:

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
  19. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Darth Vader and the Emperor did not have Brittish accents. Chewbacca did not have an American accent.

20. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    The Emperor sure as hell does. Vader kinda does-- JEJ is giving a slightly clipped high speech accent. And under the mask, Sebastian Shaw definitely doesn't hide his accent.

But anyway-- Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon sport dashing British accents. And one or two of the Imperials in ANH don't sound quite as British as the others. Maybe they were overdubbed.

21. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    I think that they effectively undermined what was otherwise a pretty serious film.

Maybe if they'd shown some of them getting holes burned through them or running around on fire, they wouldn't have had such a detrimental effect.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  22. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Hate to nitpick, but Irish =/= British.

V-2 likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically Ireland is one of the "British Isles".

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I read this in Ewan's voice.

25. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    But not a part of Britain or the UK. It'd be like telling a Canadian or a Mexican they have an american accent because they're in North America. It's not about geography.

V-2 likes this.