main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU and the film forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Placeholder, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    There doesn't seem to be a place for us fans who want to discuss the films on their own merit. It seems that many threads get pulled into conversations revolving around the EU and explanations for things in the movies found there. It's frustrating. I must not be alone in wanting to discuss the films on their own without interest in the EU. Is this a topic that has come up in the past? I am new here and I don't wish to rock the boat, but I would like to hear what others think about this.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  2. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Hi,

Actually the OT and PT forums exist for that reason. You can talk about the films there without refering at all to the EU. If others do that they might not be supposed to.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    The Episode VII forum has an EU thread specifically for you to ignore. Direct the people there if we tick you off so much.

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I've been spending most of my time in those forums, and the EU is constantly brought up.

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's not that I'm ticked off, I was just wondering what people here think about it. I imagine I must not be the only person who's interest is mostly in conversations about the films and prefers the discussion of those films to be limited to what is in them.

If nothing else, it's a valid question for people like me to raise.

6. P.Sam

May 31, 2011
    That may be because many things in the films can be explained by the EU. But in my opinion it's clearly possible to have a conversation in the movies forums without refering to it.

thesevegetables likes this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I suppose that's my point though. Shouldn't there be an area for those who aren't interested in EU explanations?

8. P.Sam

May 31, 2011
    You can always create discussion threads on subject you want in the films forums specifying that the EU is not to be refering to.

I should say that EU is part of the SW Universe so it's logical to refer to it when explanations not given in the films are needed. In case you don't want to talk about the EU because you know it not, you can always consult encyclopedies such as Wookiepedias which are very great. You can found just about everything EU-related.

9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's helpful, perhaps creating my own threads is the way to go. I may do that.

I simply prefer to look at the movies separately. As an example of this, I love The Clone Wars cartoon, I generally enjoy it very much. Recently they brought back the Maul character, as has other EU publications.

However, if asked the question when did Maul die, my answer would be when he was cut in half on Naboo. I simply prefer viewing the movies in their own light, and the EU in it's own. I feel I must not be unique in that way.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You aren't. ;)

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The rule in the movies threads is that EU can be given as an answer to questions, but it is not the be all and end all. EU is just a theory there. Any posts which say "The EU says this, therefore it is the answer" should be reported to one of the movie forum mods

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm not interested in reporting people, I was just wondering what people here thought about it. So far, I think the answer seems to be that if I want EU free discussion I should probably start threads specifically asking for no EU explanations. That's probably what I will do when I want to discuss something.

As I said, I'm new here and I'm not looking to rock the boat. This place did just fine without me for a long time. I just figured there must be other fans out there with similar ways of preferring to look at Star Wars.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    So why not have that for all the movies? It's also true that there is an entire EU section dedicated to EU talk.

Directing people to an Episode VII thread from somewhere like say the OT forum makes no sense, but then this wasn't meant to be a helpful suggestion in the first place.

14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Take it whatever way you want.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's very clear how it was meant to be taken. It was meant to be snarky, and a moderator "liked it". So, I guess it is what it is.

Also, I was lead to believe that this is the appropriate way to ask questions such as this.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    "Begun, the EU Flame War has"... Oh heck, the 'Canon' debate has been going on since time of of mind, and will only heat up more with the ST trilogy (note that some purist will consider the Clone Wars Series 'EU' and Maul cacked in in the movies). The 'Certain Point of View' is applied to discussions of Star Wars no matter where you go, and the best way to work with it is find threads you like, or create your own and go from there.

You're not alone in your disregard of the EU (or parts there of) - me, I can't stomach 99% of what was written post Jedi (Hell, my favorite line in "Shadows of Mindor" was Luke saying 'But I don't even like red-heads' which can be taken either as a 'ha ha Luke, you don't know what's in store for you' or a poke at 'the red menace of Mary Sue-dom'.)

You'll find extremism on both sides, and occasionally some middle ground, just roll with it, don't worry what makes Star Wars 'whole' for other people, and enjoy the ride....

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's probably good advice.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Seriously... people have been arguing about how to discuss Star Wars for years. It's fanboy staple. You'll be okay.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I just went into the Prequel Forum & Classic Forum and randomly clicked on ten different threads. Only one of those threads had any mention of anything EU in it, and even that one was only two posts out of twenty three.

The Episode 7 Forum flat out states that the EU is not allowed to be discussed beyond the one thread................... so I guess it just needs to be enforced more then if such EU discussion is everywhere.

The SWC is also all about games and the movie characters and might be of interest.

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ah really, I don't mind some EU bleed over into the other threads - it's just when the hysterical "if you don't like the EU you're not a fan" and "Well it WILL be like this because this happened in the EU, and if you don't agree you're stupid" starts, then the eyes start rolling.

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's kind of unavoidable (and understandable enough) when there isn't a movie explanation for a topic that the official EU explantion might be brought up, but I haven't seen it become too much of a problem recently. Some semi-recent deliberate trolling and baiting regarding 'canon' aside, the last time I recall it being much of an issue in the CT or Saga forums was around the time of the release of the Darth Plagueis novel (I imagine the PT forum would have copped it a bit worse).

I do see where the OP is coming from, though.

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I had a pretty rough time on a thread, and got myself in trouble here, directly over this topic.

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Well, I tried starting my own thread and it got locked

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Your thread was plainly redundant within the context of the Saga forum rules, though.
    It'd be like starting a thread in the YJCC called "ITT We Don't Discuss Star Wars."

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.