main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Palpatine we saw in "The Lawless" the best lightsaber performance we have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    This sort of thing has always struck me as an over-simplistic view. It shouldn't be a certainty, there are plenty of different variables. Someone's rank isn't the be-all and end-all of what they can and can't do. Obi-Wan "killed" Maul as a Padawan, and it's not as if as soon as a Jedi passes the Trials and becomes a fully qualified Knight that they "level up" in abilities.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Maul was clearly stronger than the padawan Obi Wan in EP I, he mostly focused on deal with Qui Gon and caught by surprise in the end.

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Indeed, overconfidence was his downfall. Something that I think fits the Sith nicely.

4. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Red, black, and white all over. Doubled opponents fight a mirrored battle to control symmetry ending in front of a Picasso/Goya war mural the size of a movie screen. Visual storytelling doesn't get much better than those three minutes of kinetic mayhem.

QuangoFett and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  5. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Palpatine's performance in The Lawless was impressive, most impressive.

Hope Yoda gets to duel someone before the show ends so we can see his brilliance.

KenobiSkywalker and Togruta like this.
  6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I can honestly say that, in my opinion, Sidious v. Maul / Opress was the best lightsaber duel that TCW has produced.

I can also say, with equal conviction, that it doesn't top the best of the duels seen in the six Star Wars features.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think it tops micro-Grievous, but it was oh so awesome. Palpatine was like a dark side drunkard, just dripping with evil.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, I feel like TPM Obi-Wan is already pretty much a knight in all but name.

9. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Exactly. In the real world, many, many martial arts masters (aka black belt levels and above) are often surpassed by a superior and more talented student. Heck, in some types of Karate the requirement for attaining First Dan (First degree Black Belt) the student has to defeat another veteran black belt in a sparring match.

Ofcourse, Force Users in SW operate under a different logic. In SW, at least in the PT, it is assumed that the older the force user, the stronger he or she is in both the force and combat. But there can always be exceptions. It doesn't help ofcourse that Luasfilms is remarkably inconsistent, such as the ridiculous 'duel' between Sidious and the Posse in ROTS, wherein Lucas was once more caving into fanservice at the expense of story and quality. Each of those Jedi Master Council Members should have been a match for Sidious.

10. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I want to see more Matrix style fighting in those who fight. I wish Sidious could pick on somebody his own size.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Sidious defeating the four Jedi in Ep. III doesn't bother me on principle, but I hate how two of them go down literally with no resistance at all, and Kit Fisto goes down with almost no resistance.

12. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

It's more a matter of bad choreography and filming IMO. It's supposed to convey the idea that Palpatine unleashes such power and fury that the only Jedi able to withstand it is Mace, but it just looks clumsy.

13. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Agreed. Badass, to me, means seeing Palpatine take on four Jedi Masters in a serious fight that tests him, and still emerge victorious. Something that shows why the Jedi are so powerful, but that he is more powerful still. The comical curbstomp we got in ROTS was just that. Comical. It didn't make Palpatine look particularly strong, it just made one quarter of the Jedi Council look seriously weak.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    They should have just made it so Palpatine pulls out his lightsaber and immediately kills Kit Fisto. At least that way there would be the sense that the Jedi were completely caught off-guard.

15. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Exactly. Heck, a 4 on 1 swordfight in such close quarters will always look ridiculous no matter how well it is choreographed IMO, unless if the 4 go at Sidious one at a time, which too would be stupid.

If they wanted to convey Sidious's power with dignity and have it be kickass and actually elevate Sidious's status, then invent a cool Dark Side power that Sidious uses. It destroy's 3 of the Jedi; only Mace is able to block it by conjuring a Light Side Force Shield or watever. Then they switch to sabers. Or heck, if they are out of creative juices just have Sidious spam lightning. Only Mace can withstand it, the other Jedi Masters get fried.

But whatever the case, it bothers me that 3 Jedi Masters who were council members and veterans of battle and countless missions across the galaxy were killed off so easily. Sure Sidious is a Darth, but he isn't Galactus for crying out loud. Yoda is his light side equivalent, but even he could not immediately kill Dooku and failed to stop him getting away.

They really should not have shown the Jedi as so weak. Makes you wonder why the Emperor was so worried about Luke in ESB during the holo convo with Vader. If 3 Masters of the Order who were also council members were easily crushed, what could a boy with mere weeks of training accomplish? So what if he was the son of the chosen one, the chosen one himself got defeated and nearly destroyed by a single jedi.

In the PT Qui Gon was such a badass...it all went downhill for the Jedi starting from AOTC

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Curious - what makes you say "Qui-Gon was such a badass"?

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think it was his future potential that was more worrisome.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If he had duel wielded as planned and had been confronted in a larger room then it could have worked. But yeah, as shown in the movie, it's embarrassing.

19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
  20. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Whoever uploaded the video just merged the clips.

The Jedi battle is the end of the first series and the second begins with the clones infiltrating the crashed republic cruiser and coming to the rescue.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  21. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    The way he and Obi Wan mowed down those battle droids. Yes I understand those droids were supposed to be crap esp against Jedi, but then why did so many (hundred+) Jedi fall to those same droids in Geonosis in the arena? (this was before the separatists brought in the super heavy weaponry)

Plus Qui Gon was so confident, and always seemed to know what to do without any hesitation. In AOTC and ROTS the Jedi appear totally confused and clueless. Why portray them as such? Sidious brainwashed Anakin right under their noses. They did not even uncover Padme + Anakin's marriage. (Obi Wan knew ofcourse but no one else)

Anyhow, the basic principle of the Clone Wars was for Sidious to eliminate the Jedi. Apart from weakening the galaxy and making sure he had enough clones available to maintain control over everyone, Sidious wanted the Jedi to bond so close to the clones they would not sense any danger when they executed order 66. At least, this used to be the plan back when. But in the movies themselves the Jedi are not shown to be so aware or dangerous. Makes you wonder why Sidious did not execute Order 66 right there and then on Geonosis in AOTC.

22. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    I believe the initial intention was the exact opposite of this, that the clones would be so detached as to feel absolutely no malice or pre-meditated emotions towards the Jedi when given the order, and so the Jedi would not detect any danger. There are no emotional ripples between "Shooting droids, just my job." and "Shooting Jedi, just my job." to ring any alarm bells.

With the greater humanisation of the clones in TCW however, this is likely up for change.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The Clone Wars does humanize the clones far more than the films.

Samayel_ and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  24. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    sidious wanted luke to be his new apprentice but wanted vader to not know this

25. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    AGREED!
    btw, i really loved the Palpatine duel, but i was expecting Maul to force pull the SavageĀ“s double saber to use it against Palpatine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.