main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Dec 18, 2007.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So no one is answering this in the Amph thread:

I got the deluxe version of the score CD, and it contains some extra tracks at the end of the second disc.

Dreaming of Bag End
    A Very Respectable Hobbit
    Erebor
    The Dwarf Lords
    The Edge of the Wild

Anyone know where they go in the film order of the score? I'd like to integrate into film order in my playlists...

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Got the regular soundtrack myself and like listening to it a lot.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I love it. I find it fits right in with the LOTR scores. Loving the Lonely Mountain theme and the other Dwarvish theme.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Both versions of The Lonely Mountain theme are great

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, the theme is all through the score. Not just the songs where they sing it.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I meant the songs

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Where is that quote about songs, themes, tracks and cues? :p

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I tried to identify these while watching the movie a second time, and, as would be expected, they're a bit choppy. I believe "Erebor" is located somewhere in "My Dear Frodo" in the actual film, toward the first half (before the Arkenstone part about halfway through that song). I want to say Dwarf Lords plays somewhere in "My Dear Frodo" as well, again in the first half, but sometimes parts of it play when a scene is centered on Thorin. "A Very Respectable Hobbit" appears throughout the film, but you'd probably be fine putting it after "Old Friends" or somewhere in the general vicinity of the Bag End scenes. Part of "Dreaming of Bag End" plays during that "You don't have a home" scene between Bilbo and the Dwarves, between the songs "Brass Buttons" and "Out of the Frying Pan". I'm pretty sure "Edge of the Wild" is at the end of the film with the little bird.

Someone else paying attention feel free to critique that, because my memory's a little fuzzy. Sometimes the songs on the track are dead-on with the film, sometimes they're all chopped up.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't remember ever hearing the bagpipes from Erebor in the film...

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't remember them either, but I recall the general theme being played and it sounded more dramatic (IIRC) than what we have in "My Dear Frodo." My guess is (and I need to see the film again to be sure) that they used the second half of the Erebor theme during the introduction of Erebor (minus bagpipes), so about a quarter of the way through "My Dear Frodo."

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Maybe. In the meantime, I have unchecked it in my playlists, because I really do not like the sound of bagpipes in Middle Earth. Sounds too much like Titanic.

12. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    The bonus sings are concert arrangements and not actually heard in the film itself. There's some thematic material found in the film but I think those tracks will make more sense summer 2014.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I have unchecked the Erebor track, as I really dislike the bagpipes for Middle Earth music.

14. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That pretty much fits too.. 'Erebor' and 'The Dwarf Lords' should be included within 'My Dear Frodo'. However, 'Edge of the Wild' comes after 'The White Council', it is where the company leaves Imladris, the Mithrandir and Galadriel moment, brief enemy 'tracking' moment and then leads into 'Over Hill'. There was even a comment to Bilbo (when he looks back to Rivendell) to keep up as they were on the edge of the wild which is probably where the track got it's name from.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I still say, there are no bagpipes anywhere in that film. The Erebor track as it is, is not used.

16. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I'm so glad I bought the deluxe version of the soundtrack. I actually bought it strictly for the "Blunt the Knives" song- one of my favorite parts of the book, and the fact it was included in the film made me squee out loud in the theatre. But all around, it's a great score, and well worth the extra money for the bonus tracks.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It is a great score, I agree. I do, however, skip the two singing tracks. I just never really care about source music on score CDs.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I keep meaning to ask this, but it is just me or is it weird that Shore uses the Ringwraith theme when Thorin stands up and walks down the fallen tree to confront Azog? I guess it fits tonally, but it just seems like the wrong theme in the wrong place.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    It sounded like it. They were probably just looking for a badass song to stick in there.

And I agree it didn't fit. They should have used bagpipes.

20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    So they are going to tell us how did Saruman corrupt? I guess it's similar to Dooku?

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    This isn't a thread for discussing the movie.

And no, Saruman's turn isn't anything like Dooku's.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No way, I loathe the bagpipes for Middle Earth. I would say the choral thing was awesome, just felt like the wrong theme.

23. Fishmanlee

Fishmanlee Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 17, 2010
    That is actually a Bodhran, and its an Instrument previously associated with the Shire, which makes sense in its use here, as this track is a expansion of the "Bilbo's Adventure" motif (there is also a bit of bagpipes or bodhran earlier within the score, in the shire cues.).

24. Fishmanlee

Fishmanlee Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 17, 2010
    Correction, its not a bodhran, the bodhran is a percussion instrument, however it is the "Bilbo's Adventure" motif.

25. Bushy162

Bushy162 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2011
    Howard Shore's LotR score is simply the most epic music in cinema history. But John Williams' SW score is 1000 times better musically and in just about every other respect.