main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.17 - Sabotage - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I laughed and now I feel dirty.

I guess Letta didn't expect the Jedi to find the nano-bots and trace it back to her. That dialogue is stupid but I can look past it, especially because Anakin saying "I didn't say he was murdered" is so hilarious.

Order66Survivor and V-2 like this.
  2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't bother to learn the spelling of all the minor character names. She's the bomb's wife as far as I'm concerned. What did she have to accomplish by bringing attention to herself other than risking getting caught? I guess it doesn't matter much because they would have found and questioned her anyway, but it's still dumb in my opinion.

Also, forgot to mention in my previous post I really enjoyed seeing the protest as well.

Order66Survivor and 07jonesj like this.
  3. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, I guess her thought process was if she got to the Jedi Temple she was done for, so she tried to run for it.

My favourite thing about this episode is it's pacing. After three incredibly fast-paced Mauldalore episodes, it was refreshing to have an episode that allowed it's scenes to breathe.

That, and we got freakin' Eta-2 class Jedi starfighters! I love the design of those ships.

EDIT: The "stop cloning violence" protest sign was pretty profound for this show.

TrandoJedi and Order66Survivor like this.
  4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I missed that sign, that is a cool idea for the situation. As far as the pacing, this episode was a little slow for me after the battle in the beginning.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It was kinda weird to go from lightning paced Maul to this but I thought the pacing was fine since the majority of it was super sleuth stuff.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  6. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Jackar "The Bomb" Bowmani sounds like the name of a cage fighter. :p

Not necessarily. They could have set him up by putting the bomb in his lunchbox or another item separate from himself, which he then placed in the hangar without knowing what was inside it.

To make herself seem like a bereaved widow who genuinely cared about her missing husband. The other protesters are friends and family of the victims as well, and were she absent or unseen, this absence would be noteworthy. The Jedi would come looking for her anyway, so she reasons that it's better to keep a protracted high-profile ruse right in front of them while she disposes of the critical evidence that could incriminate her.

And she'd have got away with it had it not been for those pesky kids her negligence in emptying the trash early enough.

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    QuangoFett on the first point, if they had sneaked a bomb in his lunchbox or otherwise on his person, the phrase "they made him the bomb" would not apply in the sense the official site claims it was meant because there was no bomb made for him. If it is supposed to apply in the sense that he could get blown up without literally being the bomb as was the case, that doesn't fix the contradiction, because then they still gave away that he's dead before acting like they didn't. On the second point, I wouldn't consider it noteworthy that a (supposedly) grieving widow chose to not go to a protest immediately following her husband's death, even against those she perceived to be responsible for her husband's death. But even if that was an issue, she could still be present at the protest without jumping out of the crowd and basically asking to be brought in for questioning knowing that she's the culprit.

EDIT: My mind slipped for a moment on the fact that at the time of the protest she wasn't supposed to know her husband was dead from the investigators' viewpoint, but if there was an explosion after which her husband went missing the point is pretty much the same. She'd be in a mental state that would make it reasonable for her not to attend the protest.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Or it could mean he was in on the plot (not meaning the method) and "they" the co-conspirators "made him the bomb" although he thought he would be given the bomb (later) to plant.

Convoluted, but possible.

rumblewagon likes this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That's not possible because before saying they made him the bomb they say he was set up. If he was set up, that means it wasn't really him, he wasn't a co-conspirator.

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It's not supposed to apply in that sense. Ahsoka's words are vague enough to have many interpretations, but from the perspective of someone who isn't aware that Jackar was blown up, the simplest one (and the one which Anakin treats as the "official" unspoken interpretation) is that Jackar placed a bomb which he didn't want or even know about in the hangar, following which he went missing.

Obviously, that Jackar blew up with the bomb he unwillingly put there is a natural inference from Ahsoka's words. However, Anakin exploits the vagueness to get Letta to drop her facade and momentarily reveal fear that she's been busted, something which Anakin uses to wring a confession from her.

In retrospect, "widow" was the wrong word for me to use. Jackar has officially just gone missing. Letta is at the protest with all the other friends and family of the bombing victims, only she "officially" doesn't know that her husband is a victim. By announcing herself to the Jedi, she's putting on a show of being concerned for his whereabouts. If she isn't there doing this, the Jedi would naturally suspect why Jackar's wife doesn't pull out all the stops to find him.

rumblewagon and Valairy Scot like this.
  11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    But the vagueness of the wording is the problem. If the wording is sufficiently vague that anyone who didn't already know what was going on could easily interpret it as the bomb being dead, then when they say that her thinking that from their wording is proof of her guilt they're completely wrong. If it turned out that she wasn't the culprit, they would have looked awful and like bullies. As it is, it seems they went overboard and merely got lucky. In your own words, it's a natural inference to make based on what was said.

I honestly don't see how her being at a protest equates with her doing everything she can to find her husband. If she's doing everything she can to find her husband, I'm not sure what she thinks she's going to accomplish by attending a protest.

12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I hope this arc won't be the last we see of the war protests and anti-Jedi sentiments in TCW. I'd take that over droid-arcs hehe.

Paparazzo, Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think that if it was the writer's intent to have the line seem ambiguous, someone should have told the voice actors and animators. :p

rumblewagon likes this.
  14. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    They made him the bomb.
    They made him the bomb.
    They made him the bomb.
    They made him.......................the bomb.
    They made him the...................................................bomb.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    There were a few instances like this where it was clear the cast weren't recording together. Either that or Matt Lanter sucks at voice acting.

rumblewagon likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Like I said before, I think "they made him the bomb" alone would have worked fine, it's the combination of that with "he was set up" that makes it not work.

17. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Being "set up" destroys some ambiguity with the line, but could still go either way with "someone handed him the bomb" or "someone made him a ticking time bomb".

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This has been festering since I first saw them, but I really don't like the existence of these guys, regardless of how cool they look:
    [​IMG]
    Jedi with masks? Really? They look way too Inquisitive. The old Jedi Order is not the Empire, they don't look like this, they don't have a secret police.

It seems like they're doing this intentionally, trying to provoke distrust toward the Jedi, but this is the wrong way to do it.

Grarrrrrr, never mind, Star Wars is not a cohesive story, nor does it try to be, I keep forgetting that. This is just what they felt like doing at the time.

JackG and Valairy Scot like this.
  19. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013

What in the world has Cin Drallig done to the temple.....

Bo-Katan likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    The episode guide for Sabotage said we'd see more of them in this arc. So we'll see what exactly they get up to. [face_thinking]

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I feel that too. The Jedi do have guards to the Temple, but those guys are just regular Jedi whose job it is to man that station, like Gate Master Jurrokk. These Sentinel dudes don't really reflect the Jedi ideals of peace and diplomacy, do they? They seem too aggressive to me. Drallig and a few young Knights or Padawans guarding the entrance would've looked much better.

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Speaking of Letta and Jackar, I wonder what their kid would look like if they had one.

23. Scimitar13

Scimitar13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2013
    This was a good set up episode for the rest of the arc. It was nice to see Cin Drallig, I hope we see more of him in a future season. Cato Neimoidia looked great in its short appearance, I hope we see it again too. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the arc plays out.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't wanna know.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I rewatched this episode this morning so I could see them all as an arc. I think it certainly works better as part of a larger whole, especially once you know what's coming. By itself, before I'd seen anything else, Letta's line to Ahsoka about there being more than she understood was almost a throwaway, especially with the scene after where it feels like they're wrapping things up. With the other episodes, though, it feels more like the opening act that it is.

Not sure it needed to be an entire episode, but it works a little better than before.