main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Page size is one criterion you can use, Omnibus-type collections tend to be smaller than the standard TPB size. Equally, TPB prices only really go up, if there is an Omnibus of X in Y years time will it actually be cheaper than buying the previously published components at price Z with a substantive online discount?

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well I think by buying an Omnibus (MSRP $25, much cheaper when bought online) you save 45% or more than by buying them as TPB:s (MSRP $~15). For me that and the ability to have it all in one series (I don't buy any other SW comics) weights much more than smaller pages. The biggest save was with the movie novelizations, 52 euros for TPBs vs 16 euros for an Omnibus.

Since 2006 every Omnibus has had the MSRP of $25 regardless of size (280-600 pages), but I'm sure that's going to change before DE or CE get regular Omnibuses. That's why I finally gave in and bought them as hardcover. They really cost only 3-5 euros more than a softcover.

I also got Infinities in mail today. Oh dear, it feels so small with less than 300 pages.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure I have the Infinities tpbs so I will probably pass on the Omnibus. Anyone know if they will do the Tales comics as an omnibus?

4. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm sure they will. But when? In the near future we are getting Wild Space vol 1 and Legacy vol 1 in hardcover. After those, nobody knows. I guess that there's at least half a year between hardcovers, and Omnibuses are bi-monthly (except April has none this year), so we could get Tales before the end of year, or something else entirely. They are high on my hope list. Another guess: The rest of Infinities comics (Tag & Bink, Old Wounds etc) will be in Tales Omnibuses. There they fit better than with the What-if stories of Infinities Trilogy.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Buying trades is very much always guesswork, there's no hard and fast rule on what gets collected or when!

6. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    strange that they are re releasing Legacy vol 1 only. Is it to capitalize on Legacy 2.0 or episode VII?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's more a general trend for DHC I think, what they're going for is larger collections for a lower number of volumes. Tel someone they need to buy 4 books to get the whole story versus buying 12 and people will probably go for the lower number, even if the bigger, individual volumes are more expensive. In this respect DHC are also following the Big Two who have also been packaging and issuing stories in bigger collections over the last couple of years.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I was kinda hoping Legacy would be getting one of their Omnibus releases. I've become obsessed with the goal of getting every single Dark Horse SW Omnibus before the end of this year. Right now all I have is Rouge Squadron vol.1 and 2...I need to move. I have a great fear the rights will move to Marvel, and I love the Dark Horse stories.

9. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Have them all. Love them all. Omnibuses are the best way to get into SW comics. They certainly got me back into them after a 3 year hiatus.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  10. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I do own a few of the individual issues of X-Wing Rouge Squadron and used to own all the Tales TPB. Dark Horse definitely tells the best EU Star Wars stories IMO.

11. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Why haven't they announced any more omnibuses past april? Their lack of information for fall 2013 disturbs me!

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When will they start collecting the newer Clone Wars stuff? The 08 to present stuff. Or is there enough to fill an Omnibus?

13. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    BoromirsFan, They have. Wild Space Volume 1 comes out in May or June, and the first Legacy Hardcover in June. Dark Horse doesn't announce trades until five months before they come out, so we could and most likely will get another Wild Space on August, but that will be announced in next month.

Force Smuggler, Since there's so much still to be collected from earlier times, I don't except them to collect a series that began on 2008 (and still continues in digest form) before anything else.
    At the moment the newer Clone Wars comics consist of
    -12 issues, 264 pages
    -3 seasons of webcomics, 281 pages
    -2 Free Comic Book Day comics, 16 pages
    -10 digests, 800 pages (more still coming)
    So once they get there, they will have one Omnibus of regular-sized stuff and 2-3 Omnibuses worth of small stuff, however they plan to collect them.

14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I already knew about wild space, but i certainly hope news of more omnibuses come quick!

15. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    I hope that as well, I was disappointed when April didn't have any Omnibus. I want them all now, especially
    -Whatever Wild Space will have
    -Newspaper strips
    -Tales and short Infinities comics
    -Knights of the Old Republic

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tales and Other Infinities are needed. I want Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy so bad right now.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Practically I see no difference between the Legacy Volume 1 HC recently solicited and a Legacy Omnibus, save for the former being a hardback, the page size is near enough the same.

Don't get too hung up or obsessive about the names of formats or you'll really come a cropper!

18. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Wouldn't a Legacy omnibus have more than 1 volume....

19. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Its criminal KOTOR and Legacy don't have a Omnibus yet! Although I don't mind picking up the smaller trades once I finish getting all the other Omnibuses.

20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    The Legacy HC is practically the Legacy omnibus, just in a more durable hardcover format.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Volume 1 suggests there will be further volumes, sales permitting. I'd expect there to ultimately be 4 volumes in the new hardback format.

Precisely.

22. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    the legacy hardback has more than one arc in it? Volume one was broken right? So the hardback will have more than broken?

23. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I'd say up to Claws of the Dragon.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For the size of the first Legacy hardback, you're looking at it containing TPBs Volumes 1-3, with 3 further volumes collecting the rest of the series with up to 3 TPBs per hardback volume so:

Volume 1: TPBs 1-3
    Volume 2: TPBs 4-6
    Volume 3: TPBs 7-9
    Volume 4: TPBs 10-11

25. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why isn't there a fifth issue of Knights of the Old Republic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.