main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    This guy, there's just something about him.

[​IMG]

2. furcifer

furcifer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 30, 2004
    Cad Carnage likes this.
  3. Cad Carnage

Jan 22, 2013
    This is hilarious, but now I feel like I ripped off Robot Chicken.

4. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I don't always kidnap babies, but when I do, I prefer Dos Jedi's.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Or perhaps WITHOUT the Skywalkers, some sort of side story that wouldn't cause new movies to have to fit under to avoid plot holes.

6. Cad Carnage

Jan 22, 2013
    He once made the Kessel Run because it was on his way.

Lord Optimus, Air Jedi and furcifer like this.
  7. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012

What a unique idea! I love it!

As far as spinoffs, the more I think about it, the less I want them to focus on individual characters. I'm thinking epics; trilogies ala KOTOR/Revan and Dawn of the Jedi or maybe a trilogy on the Yuuzhan Vong invasion would be the best way to retain the essence of Star Wars. Create new classics instead of beating the dead jedi ghosts of the old ones :p

I also think a Yoda feature would be a huge mistake this early in the game. The Clone Wars show kinda blew their wad by leading off with the most powerful jedi alive. What a tough act to follow! After Yoda you have nowhere to go but down. Among the jedi, Yoda should be the exception, not the rule.

8. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I’d like to see a film centered around Yoda set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. It would involve Yoda learning new philosophies and the technique to become a Force Ghost from the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn, being played again by Liam Neeson. It would also have Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, also learning those philosophies and technique. The portrayal of Yoda in the prequels is not consistent with his portrayal in the originals, so a film like this would be a great way to have the character develop from his prequel self to his original trilogy self. It would also allow Obi-Wan Kenobi to develop more into Ben Kenobi.

Another film idea I think would be interesting would be an Obi-Wan Kenobi film, also set between the two trilogies and starring Ewan McGregor. I think it’d be neat to see some sort of threat to the young Luke Skywalker and his aunt and uncle. Obi-Wan could fight against this threat, but Luke and the Lars’ would never know what happened. It could show what a thankless job being in the desert is, but one that Obi-Wan is happy to do and committed to doing in order to protect the future.

Beyond that, I'd also love to see a trilogy about the rise of the Jedi. That era has always strongly appealed to me.

9. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I think it could be fun being completely in the dark as to when a story takes place!

What about, in place of single character spinoffs, a new trilogy of trilogies is created between 2016-2018, one per year, but leave the audience in the dark, initially, as to when they occur on the timeline?

Maybe even start a new trilogy in 2016 and keep where it sits on the timeline ambiguous (I'm thinking the beginning to middle of the Old Republic; that gives you 12,000 years to work with) but drop a hint [Trilogy #1].

Have a new, separate, trilogy start in 2017 that starts just before Darth Bane and the rule of two with name drops of ancient figures that allow the audience to piece together the time frame [Trilogy #2]. By the third film [Trilogy #2] drop a hint, by way of the birth of Yoda or something similar, that allows one to discover the trilogy takes place prior to the Skywalker Saga.

Have the other [Trilogy #3] take place thousands of years after the ST. Weave in a through line permeating all three new trilogies with references to The Prophecy and the Galactic Civil War and you have an epic of MONUMENTAL proportions!

The movies in the near future should retain the epic proportions we've come to expect and remain the Star Wars saga we all love. Leave the minutiae for the tv shows and worry about spinoffs after the history of the GFFA has been written.

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    And. He's Duros.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Honestly, a spinoff about Boba Fett being first hired by Darth Vader to hunt down Obi-Wan Kenobi is my best idea of a spinoff, centered about 8 years after Revenge of the Sith.

12. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    I had this idea too in the "Boba Fett" thread! While there is some concern around Vader hiring Fett, I think it would make a fantastic film. Tying Vader to Fett before ESB and hunting down Ben Kenobi. Faking his own death (again to a Fett) and leaving a trophy for Vader as proof. Just sounds like a good time flick to me! I'm sure if they wanted to it could be stretched out into multiple films as well.

Awesome stuff!

Krueger and KED12345 like this.
  13. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    ^:)^ Cad Bane ^:)^
    His hat alone is as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But when it turns out that Kenobi isn't dead and Vader finds out in ANH, then why would he hire Fett again since he botched up on Kenobi?

15. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Maybe, that's the "No disintegrations" connection? Boba comes back says "yea, I got him". Vader asks how, Boba says "disintegration", hands Vader a trophy.

Maybe Vader is giving him a jab in ESB saying "No disintegrations", i.e. don't screw this up. (You're supposed to be this great legendary Bounty Hunter yet he lived, lol)

I'm sure there is a way this all could be hashed out by better writers/idea men than myself. I just think tying them all into one movie would be pretty cool! :D

16. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Vader found his lack of faith interesting.

Lord Optimus and Cad Carnage like this.
  17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I like the idea of Vader and Fett having a relationship before TESB. Especially if its hunting Kenobi or some other character form his past. When Vader says "No Disintegrations" it really seems like it has something to do with Fett in the past.

18. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I think a Boba Fett film where he’s the last of the Mandalorians could be cool. It would poo poo existing Mandalorian canon (a poo poo’ing that I’m all for), but it would start with a prologue that briefly shows how the Empire hunted down the Mandalorians. It would say that the Emperor’s consolidation of power involved hunting down all possible enemies, not just the Jedi. Eliminating the Mandalorians would be one of them. The end of the prologue, which would be narrated, would be something like “One remains. This is his story.”

Boba Fett would then become a bounty hunter, take up contracts, and so forth. I think it'd be interesting if his main way of killing people was to vaporize them. His motivation would be to destroy everything about an enemy, just like the Empire did to him, and it would tie into the "No disintegrations" line from Empire.

19. Cad Carnage

Jan 22, 2013
    He sleeps with a pillow under his blasters.

Air Jedi, Lord Optimus and furcifer like this.
  20. furcifer

furcifer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 30, 2004
    [ Deleted post, sorry ]

21. Lord Optimus

Jul 30, 2011
    Dengar challenged him to a battle once, the loser had to wrap themselves in toilet paper.

Cad Carnage and Air Jedi like this.
  22. Lord Optimus

Jul 30, 2011
  23. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    anyone is a DC fan?, DC is releasing 2 or 3 2D animated movies adapted directly from comics to the DVD, those movies are awesome.
    Imagine that: every year 2 or 3 post ROTJ comics/novel being adapted in 2D animation and released as a movie (but not everything, just the most immportant and good stories) and all directed by Bruce Timm (or maybe by Tartakovsky).
    like:
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Dark Empire
    Crimson Empire
    Star by star
    The Unifying Force
    and some novels from LOTF

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  24. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Anakin may have been created by the force, and TESB Yoda mentions a cave full of the dark side, so I'd like a planet that contains the full nature of the force. All force powers are in full display all the time, whether the force itself or force users are making it happen. It is a danger free environment, so no harm can be done to living things. If a force choke/crush is in display, it is only being done on scrap metal. If lightning is shooting out of someone's hands, it's only providing a light show.

25. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Regarding a Boba Fett spin-off...

The EU has him survive the Sarlacc pit but purists discount that as he didn't survive on screen.
    This problem can be solved simply in a single spin-off in a way that allows Fett to be used in the main sequel trilogy post-Episode VII

- Open the Boba Fett movie with him arriving at Jabba's palace with the carbonite-encased Han Solo
    - Retrace the events leading up to the Sarlacc scene from Boba's point of view, culminating in his apparent demise
    - The rest of the movie is then told as a series of flashbacks as Fett considers his life whilst trapped in the Sarlacc
    - We see from his point of view the capture of Solo on Cloud City and Fett setting off to deliver him to Jabba
    - The movie finishes with Boba Fett's eventual escape from the Sarlacc and reinstates him as an extant part of the Star Wars movie universe

So what you'd have there is...
    - an introduction to looking at the story from Fett's point of view rather than him being a secondary character (albeit a damn cool one)
    - a unification of the EU and movies with regards to Fett's fate
    - opportunities for snippets of backstory set at different times between ROTS and TESB
    - a nostalgic nod to the original trilogy with an amount of bridging between Episodes V and VI

Then you've got multiple options after that, aside from the fact we'd now know he's officially alive so he can pop up in the main sequel trilogy, though like I say, It would have to be from Episode VIII onwards if the initial spin-off is made after Episode VII.

If the spin-off is told in an episodic flashback fashion there's scope for any number of pre-TESB prequels jumping off from recognizable points (including an appearance in a Han Solo prequel) but then there's also the option for a sequel following Fett after his escape from the Sarlacc and bridging the gap between his own movie and his return to the main series.

In fact, with that last point in mind, I think I would save his escape from the Sarlacc for either the opener to such a sequel, as the closing scene of a similarly structured prequel or possibly even both.

Darthgoodguy likes this.