main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion JJ Abrams' production designer, Scott Chambliss, says he can't work on Ep. 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BigAl6ft6, Feb 14, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, anyway, Chambliss who worked with Abrams on the production design of MI 3 & Star Trek & Into Darkness (full IMDB here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006755/ also did Cowboys & Aliens if you wanna get into his sci-fi stuff, or, hell, if you wanna see is portfolio, lookie lookie at his official website portfolio: http://www.scottchambliss.com/Scott_Chambliss___Production_Designer/Portfolio/Portfolio.html ), basically one of Abrams' go-to guys of his production team, is saying he won't be able to work on Episode 7!:

http://trekweb.com/articles/2013/02...ble-for-JJ-Abrams-Star-Wars-Episode-VII.shtml

"Finally, if JJ Abrams call you to work on Star Wars, will you be pleased with the invitation?
    I'm pleased anytime JJ calls me. But I'm booked on the Brad Bird/Damon Lindeloff movie TOMORROWLAND presently, and it looks like our schedules are in utter conflict. C'est la vie."

Who's going to design the cockpit of the heroes' spaceship now, I ask!

2. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also, in further reports, I will not be working on Ep. 7 either, just in case anyone is wondering!

stormcloud8, DarthBoba and TrandoJedi like this.
  3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    here's hoping whoever they get is good.

4. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    They hired Abrams, not everyone he works with. There's a bit of talent in Lucasfilm and Disney.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This does speak to a larger point, though: how much will Abrams pull in his previous collaborators and how much will he get from Lucasfilm? Look through all of his movies and he generally keeps the same crew and even some actors around (try to find an Abrams production without Bryan Burk involved in producing) This is uncharted territory, for both Lucasfilm and Abrams.

LawJedi likes this.
  6. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Does it matter?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    We got Abrams, but we don't necessarily need his whole crew as great as they may be. I have a feeling the right people will be chosen in the end.

8. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Does it matter? Well it depends. Getting people to work on a project is usually more than assembling a dream team of highly skilled people and more about getting the right kind of people who are going to be able to work with one another.

For example;
    You're the producers and you want to bring in two editors, you have the resumes of what is considered to be the two greatest editors in the business and they are begging you to work on this film.
    Problem solved?
    Not really, one of the editors is from Texas with a baptist background. He has a wife, 4 kids and likes nothing better than praising the lord in song. The other editor is from San Francisco, his parents were professors at UCSF and he's a practising bi-sexual and a member of the United States Communist Party.
    Extreme example obviously, but you really do have to make sure that the people you're hiring are the right fit for the team you already have. The more personal tensions in a team, the poorer the product will be and the more it will cost as conflicts get in the way of the end goal.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's an interesting place for a Star Wars movie to be. 1-6 are all Lucasfilm productions, top to bottom, even with the different directors on Ep. 5 & 6 (a lot of the design crew on Star Wars still worked through to Empire, etc.) but Abrams comes in with his own crew, maybe not every single one position already filled out, but he does bring a lot of "the gang" so to speak along for the ride (he's worked with the same casting director since, like, forever, and she's pretty good too considering how well in general his shows / movies are cast). I really don't believe Abrams would be just a hired gun, and I think it'd be cool to actually get a different outsider take on Star Wars. It'd just be neat to see which one of his Bad Robot crew end up rolling over to Star Wars. And, in the case of Chambliss, probably not.

LawJedi likes this.
  10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I didn't think Gavin Bocquet did a bad job with the prequels. What's he up to?

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    He just finished Jack the Giant Slayer, according to IMDb.com

Ewan McGregor is in that...

12. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    my favourite bit as it kind of informs some of the EpVII production timelind....Tomorrowland is supposed to start filming in March.....which obviously means production-related stuff will be getting serious starting then (hell they're probably a bit serious now)...

if they follow similar schedules to the prequels, filming will be from Late June-September 2013 (all 3 were shot Last week of June to mid-to-late September, 2 years before release) so if they haven't already got someone (which I expect they have,and just haven't announced them yet, or don't see a need to at this stage) they'll have them in place quite soon...

I wouldn't mind having Gavin Boucquet back...

13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Great minds! ;)

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It may also indicate that, in the event that John Williams can't do it, Michael Giacchino - a man Abrams has rather consistently worked with - may not necessarily be stepping in to compose the score.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Giacchino is a tad different schedule from the production designer, also Giacchino is always shouting out Star Wars (and has even worked in it!) and Giacchino comes from a TV background like Abrams, the man is a machine when it comes to scores. He won an Oscar for "Up" even while he was still working on "Lost" at the same time.

16. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    The less people that the no-talent hack who forever ruined Trek, Abrams brings to Star Wars, the better. Just waiting and praying that Abrams' massive ego will clash with Kathleen Kennedy resulting in Abrams being fired.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ while I don't subscribe to your ideology, that is an awesome screen name!

Vthuil likes this.
  18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    What Lucasfilm did NOT say when they approached Abrams:
    "We want YOU to make the next Star Wars film."
    This would imply Abrams would put together the "team".

What Lucasfilm did say when they approached Abrams:
    "WE are making a new Star Wars film, and would like you to direct it."
    Nothing different happen with any othe Star Wars film that GL did not direct himself.

Someone that "usually" works with Abrams being unavailable means nothing.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I wasn't. :p

Seriously, I don't care much that Chambliss wont be able to do it. Let Abrams spread his wings a bit and work with new people.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I almost panicked and thought this said that Scott was saying that J.J. can't do SW anymore.[face_nail_biting]

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sensing some bitterness. :)

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Sorry if I don't find this to be news. Lucas Film has never had a problem with production design when it comes to Star Wars. I think they'll be just fine! They have so much in house talent, this is more like a... "yeah, like they were going to ask him to do production design in the first place..."

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There's no way the movie is going to be just "JJ Abrams + Lucasfilm top to bottom". Especially considering this all official like statement from the official site : "J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner."

24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, no doubt there are going to be more hands involved... that's a given. Every director has say in who is involved, but Lucas Film is still the controlling entity of all the material thus will have the largest hand in hiring in the end. J.J. Abrams isn't going to "revamp" how Star Wars is made top to bottom, he will use a lot of the expertise that is in house and supplement here and there with his own.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  25. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    A little angry?

JJ is hardly a no-talent hack. You may not like his movies, but some of the rest of the billions on this planet do.