main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Although he obviously wasn't a very nuanced character individually, I felt it gave the story as a whole a lot more nuance that he was on the side of the "good guys."

Seerow and Valairy Scot like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just finished Bounty Hunters. Pretty good episode. Good to see Hondo again. Loved that one Bounty Hunter's hat that doubled as a shield. On to the Zillo Beast episodes. Going by this list
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_media#Rise_of_the_Empire_era
    You'll have to scroll down to the Clone Wars time period. Not sure how accurate it is but that's how I'm doing it.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I didn't like Cho myself. I thought he was annoying and to simple of a character myself. However it is cool he was on the good guys side. Cho remains one of our few example of evil in the republic. More example are needed IMO.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I rewatched Jedi Crash last night myself and its still one of my favorite in season 1, an easy 8. The episode has some awesome action sequences with the opening battle and the epic crash landing after the accidental jump to hyperspace. Its really cool to see a Red Dwarf type star. It adds to the alien feel of the planet and its also neat to variety in the heavenly bodies in space in the GFFA. Aayla Secura and Bly are cool introduction.

I have to give props to Rex since Jedi Crash was one of the first episodes I really noticed the guy in. I like the whole sequence with Rex guarding injured Anakin and then the attack of the beast. It reminds me of account of the infamous Tsavo man-eaters. Man eating lions that were known to stalk camps, sneak past armed guards, and drag off working for the Uganda Railways (check out the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness"). Rex is just badass here.

There is some good philosophy and discussion of beliefs with the Lurman. Some good humor is delivered and Ahsoka is pretty tolerable here for an early episode. Her interaction's the Aayla are intriguing. More than just being a badass the episode also provides a chance to look into relationships between clones and the Jedi.

My man complained are with some the dialogue being remarkable corny even for TCW. The beasts are kinda weak. Also the fact pressing the wrong button caused the hyperdrive accident. The sounds like something that would happen in the Command Center.

5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That list is by Leland Chee, and is the official timeline as of now. :)

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So, I watched two more episodes of TCW that I shouldn't have. Y I do this.

Blue Shadow Virus

Didn't get off to a good start. Padme lands on Naboo and this exchange happens:

Padme: Have you found any more droids?
    Queen: Only the three, but you can be sure they aren't tourists.

[face_plain]

Hey, Jar Jar gets an astromech dome stuck on his head trying to catch a bug with his tongue and ends up destroying the captured tactical droid that is being interrogated for info. That's so hilarious. Later, Jar Jar trips and finds a hidden hatch. Amazing.

Doctor Vindi. The comparison to Dr Strangelove is obvious. He's obviously insane and raises some absolutely absurd points, like how the people of the galaxy "murdered" the Blue Shadow Virus and mocks the "superiority" of sentient beings in comparison. He also doesn't seem to care about dying. At all. I wasn't amused.

An in-character moment of having Anakin freak out, worried about Padme, and Obi-Wan willing to sacrifice a few to save many.

They had Ahsoka pulling some nice agile choreography to chop up some droids and the action was looking good. Then Ahsoka shows really terribly awkward blaster deflection technique that just isn't even believable. It's probably the worst blaster deflection I've ever seen, even worse than Luke's stiff, jerky movements in the OT. Ahsoka's wrist rotates to what seems like impossible degrees and her arms are just all over the place, trying to cover her body, demonstrating the stupidity of the technique. A conventional grip would have covered the same area with ease. Then Ahsoka runs waving her lightsaber behind her, nearly decapitating Kenobi (and probably should have). The episode at this point was a highlight reel demonstrating the stupidity of the inverted grip.

The droidekas rolling up the walls of the tunnel was cool, though.

Everyone is running around the lab trying to find the missing bomb, and Jar Jar smells something and stops to check it out. Turns out the droid with the bomb just happens to be there. What a terrific way to find the bomb.

This wasn't quite as bad as I remembered (or maybe it is), but it's still pretty bad. 4/10

Mystery of a Thousand Moons

Fortune cookie: A single chance is a galaxy of hope. All your base are belong to us.

The blue gas provided an interesting look to the blaster fights.

The Iego side trip.......is not really notable.

But hey it's that Quarren from Friday the 13th come to tell our heroes they're DOOMED. DOOOOOOOOMED.

So, how did they get Padme and Co out of the lab without contaminating Naboo? lol at this point I didn't give a ****.

Terribly boring. 1/10

I saw what they were trying to do with this arc, but it didn't work for me.

The Doctor and virus ideas seem interesting enough but the potential of those ideas just wasn't fulfilled at all, imo. Maybe if they played it a little more serious, a little more dark. Or if they had characters of note that could actually die. The thing is, way back in S1, I remember hoping against hope that Ahsoka would die, and I even got a little excited once she got really sick, but Jar Jar and Padme kinda killed it. Obviously this time that excitement never appeared. So, play it more serious, get rid of Jar Jar and Padme somehow, put more original characters I care about in danger and maybe this story would have entertained me.

As it is it's one of the worst multi-episode stories of the series. Looking back at this thread, I gave Dooku Captured/The Gungan General a total of four points, which is probably right, Dooku Captured isn't as good as Blue Shadow Virus.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay good to know!~ Thank you!

07jonesj likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Done with the Geonosis Arc. It was incredibly well done. Best episode of that arc? Landing At Point Rain, Weapons Factory and Legacy of Terror.

07jonesj likes this.
  9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    What'd you think of spending time with Ki-Adi, Luminara and Barriss?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I approve of that. We get to see more Jedi besides Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ashoka. I found Anakin and Ashoka's competition about number of destroyed units hilarious. Then Obi-Wan expresses disbelief that they can make it be so casual and then Ki-Adi-Mundi says he got more than him so what does he win? That was great. I like Barris a lot. Not sure about Luminara yet.

11. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree with you, the only thing I enjoyed about those episodes were the Anakin-Obi-Wan dynamics and Rex’s “I am not training him”.

They have such a great plot with the “biological weapon threat” and this is how they use it…
    • Why would a CIS-funded scientist chose a Republic planet to place his laboratory? If he wanted to test his virus on a planet he could simply have it sent there with a ship or something like that.
    • They are trying to sell us the idea that the virus is extremely dangerous and a huge threat, but that just falls flat when a security officer can come up with a cure in less than a day
    • Is the security on Naboo so sparse that they can’t even spare a few men to do the investigation instead of Padmé? Doesn’t a senator have better things to do considering they might soon have a serious crisis on their hands?
    What a terrible waste of a potentially great plot. :oops:

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember that the only thing I liked about those episodes were the Anakin/Padme moments, and I didn't even like those that much.

A virus that turns people blue? WTF? Blue skin can be a symptom of fatal breathing problems but isn't fatal itself. The virus just seemed to turn people blue and make them fall over. They died from taking an e-bath in blue food coloring. OK.

More within the next couple of days; these episodes are next on my Season 1 re-watch list.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I seem to recall writing a very angry rant about one of those episodes when we did the recap last summer.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol yeah, I looked it up after watching them.

Here's my favorite part

Forgot to mention that. I guess it was touching that they care about each other so deeply, but what the hell.

lol @ YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAH in the Blue Shadow Wirus thread.

I've been checking out some of the threads from the re-watch event and I'm kinda sad I didn't participate, they're pretty damn funny. It was after S3, I just wasn't in the mood for more TCW.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I really like Blue Shadow Virus because the character of Nuvo Vindi tickles me to no end, but every time I watch Mystery of a Thousand Moons it gets worse and worse even though I thought it was decent when I first saw it.

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On the temp boards? I think I must have missed the recap.

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Summer of 2011. Someone, possibly Barriss, had the idea of us going through all the old episodes and the film once a week, so the place didn't die between seasons. It was pretty good fun IIRC. I'd be up for another now that I have Season 4.

Dathomir-Witch and 07jonesj like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh OK, no wonder I missed it, I wasn't in LACWAC then.

I think it's a great idea, especially since season 5 is ending so early and we're going to have a very long break.

07jonesj likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Might as well, there'll be not much else to do around LACWAC before Season 6 info starts coming out. Though if I have to watch the film I'll have to dig out my "negative Nancy" hat. This show should still consider itself fortunate I gave it a second chance after that travesty. Perhaps it would suit a 90-minute format now, but it certainly didn't back then.

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    anakinfansince1983... Member since Mar 4, 2011

Recap occurred in... Summer of 2011. Hmm. Need some math help? ;)

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No. On the boards does not mean a LACWAC regular. ;)

07jonesj likes this.
  23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Can't relate. Obviously when I joined I came straight to LACWAC. I mean, where else would you go? :p

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I still don't go anywhere outside of here.

KenobiSkywalker and 07jonesj like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I should have come in much sooner but that's another topic.

07jonesj likes this.