main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LEGACY is back!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Volderon, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    You only made it to Issue 9? Read further man. Your takes on the the Jedi, Sith, Imperial Knights, etc, are way off.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    No I think I'm pretty accurate. True I only read through issue 9. I did however keep up with developments in events and characters. The Jedi were stoic bricks like they were in the prequels. The sith were all cool and bad ass, and no different than any other throw away villains. Imperial knights I'm a little off on, but every time I saw one they all had the same look on their face. Enough to tell me that there wasn't enough there other than a cool concept and another group of characters all designed to be cool, dark, bad ass, and in much need of a good blunt and some cookies.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I dunno, you seem to be missing a lot to me. Stuff like a Sith scientist (without a lightsaber) developing and using bio weapons to wipe out planets and species, an Imperial Knight standing up to defend the weak against impossible odds when the Jedi will not, a Skywalker who dropped out of society, a Mandalorian self exile working his way back to his people. The biggest problem was that a lot of these plot lines never really were given the time to allow for a decent conclusion.

Yes, there was a lot of cool factor and fan service - and it wasn't a happy story with a lot of smiles and jokes, but I don't think that is a bad thing.

Basically it sounds like you stopped before the series really kicked into gear.

4. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    You're not accurate at al, man. That's the thing about Legacy --- it's very easy to take a cursory glance at it and dismiss it as nothing new. The Sith all look like Darth Maul, the Jedi look like prequel Jedi, blah blah blah. Actually sitting down and reading (beyond nine issues) is what it takes to realize how wrong that cursory glance is. The visual appeal of Maul-Sith and prequel-Jedi draws casual readers in, but the depth that the characters are given is what makes them stay.

The Sith, Jedi, and Imperial Knights all featured characters who were complex and very, very different from one another. If you're going to argue that Antares Draco, Ganner Krieg, and Treis Sinde are all the same "cool, dark, badass" character with nothing differentiating them from one another, or that Darth Nihl, Darth Maladi, and Vul Isen are all identical Sith, then I'm sorry, but you're objectively wrong. You're making assumptions based on a cursory glance. You're judging a book by its cover and the first two chapters. Nine issues out of fifty-six isn't enough to tell you anything.

5. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Maladi is a good mention. She, alongside Isen, are very fresh and unconventional Sith characters that are not defined by their ability with a lightsaber and kung fu kicking.

thesevegetables likes this.
  6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    But he did:confused:

That is where the story 'starts', with him having left is name behind. After Vector, he goes right back to being a two-credit Pirate. And at the end he leaves again. He only changed during the 'Claws of the Dragon' to 'Vector' part. When he wanted to right his wrongs and be proactive he was enjoyable, then he just kind of stopped.

Cade Skywalker's unlikeabilty; bringing forum goers together since 2013

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I was basing it off more than just looks. All the Sith sounded the same, they were all pretty much backstabbers, etc. The Jedi were just as bland as they were in the prequels. Depth of character just gave them something to do, they were still boring. Imperial Knights I'll give you. Jedi and Sith, NO.

There was very little that was fun about any of them.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Wolf Sazen was a very interesting character, and Shado Vao seemed to be getting too close to the dark side at a few points... Maladi was interesting, both when she was the rational scientist and then when she went mad. The little we got of Nihl was good too.

Nyna/Morrigan was great.

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Shado's arc is the one that could have been very interesting, had Legacy not been axed. There were several hints that he would fall.

10. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I thought the first 9 issues were good, but it gets a lot better. Legacy can't be judged correctly from just those few issues. Serious character development kicked in later and while your impressions reflect the surface, there's stuff underneath that only gets revealed later in the story.

I agree with people saying that 22 pages a month (or even less frequently sometimes, if I recall correctly) wasn't enough for everything going on. Loose ends are still not resolved.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I loved Shado Vao's character. I am not sure if they ever intended him to fall, but his story was definitely that of a Jedi that had to be careful to avoid the Dark Side. I really want to see more of Shado in the future, as well as his sister Astral Vao. Both characters have further potential, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh. Missionary Vao.

13. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Agree. To me, comic lightsaber fights just look awkward. Weird lightsaber posing instead of the breathtaking swinging and slashing of moving media.

14. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    "Depth of character just gave them something to do." Seriously? You're admitting that the characters have depth, but are still trying to assert that they're bland? You're really grasping at straws here, man. Again, nine issues isn't enough to make an accurate judgment. "All the Sith sounded the same" is a judgment made based on having heard about but not actually read the series. It's not an informed opinion. People who have read the series are telling you that the characters have more depth than you think, and until you read the series too, you're not in a position to dispute that. If you're not interested in reading it, that's fine, but don't argue about it as if you have.

thesevegetables and Rawne like this.
  15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah I have never seen a good one

16. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    One of the interesting minor subplots within the Sith ranks themselves was the bigotry that exisited between Sith born on Korriban and those born elsewhere. It was a little thing but it made them feel so much more real.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Hell the Sith aren't even backstabbing each other that much. We even see one Sith saving the life of another because that's what their Lord would have wanted - they are the One Sith after all.

18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Wyyrlok betrayed Krayt, so some of them are still REAL Sith. Some of the One Sith still want power and do not serve the greater good.

19. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I said they ain't backstabbing each other that much. Compare to other Sith Empires and this is nothing.

20. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Right - this Order is less about a concept and more about a man - for the loyal ones, at least.

21. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    I would say the loyalty of Sith is a function of numbers of Sith, the Strength of whoever is at the top and strength of the uniting cause.

22. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
  23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    What is that in the back ground? Is it a ship?

24. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    In the top left? Yeah, looks like a ship. Reminds me of the Uhumele. It's taking the place of the Death Star in the classic poster to which this cover is paying tribute:

[​IMG]

Love the variant cover. Really cool homage. It's great to see Ania in Luke's place. She's going to kick a lot of ass in this series.

Are those Annihilator-class starfighters below the Death Star-ship ... ? Are Darth Krayt's Sith Troopers still kicking, rampaging across the galaxy in a fit of insanity with their Master dead?

[​IMG]

25. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    I suppose its possible provided not much time has happenned.