main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Harrison Ford to return as Han Solo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Claire, Feb 15, 2013.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    TrandoJedi and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder! ;)

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm going to wait for official confirmation on this one before getting too excited. Besides, even if Han, Luke and Leia all return there's a lot of other things that could turn the ST into a horrible mess.

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's true. It will be sad losing one of them.

But the problem I have with them at this time is if they'll be fully committed again to their characters. Let's not forget that Fisher loathed her involvement in the films in the later years of her supposedly continued career in acting, if you can call it that. And Ford has expressed before that his character was not the greatest role that he cherished playing, mainly because he considered it boring. In fact, he insisted that his character should be killed off, probably to either make his role more interesting, or to ensure that he wouldn't have to play Han again in the later films. Hamill had also wanted to move on from Star Wars, hoping to be removed from being typecasted in order to take on more serious roles. We all know what happened with that too, right?

So, aguywithabiggun, don't come on here telling us that we shouldn't acknowledge the fact that some of these guys might be over the hill, or not even interested in playing their parts again, because it's possible they may not all want to, or in my opinion should.

Bottom line is, I don't want this to turn into a Star Trek movie where the focus is on a bunch of old fogarties running around, when instead it should have involved their kids' exploits, too.

Darth Claire likes this.
  5. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It was said initially that automatically just based on Han and Leia being in the ST that that means the EU will be jettisoned, that is not the case. They can be in the ST and still hold the EU intact, we basically know (or rather can make an educated guess) that their kid (or kids) will be in the ST, we don't know what form that will take, it is possible that Jaina is the main protagonist of the ST. I acknowledge the possibility and even the likelyhood that the EU
    will be ignored, but it isn't written in stone that because HF and CF would be in the ST the EU is automatically out like the following words might indicate.

That taken on its own merit doesn't make any sense, why would their appearance in the ST mean the EU would be thrown out? Because Chewie supposedly died in the EU and might appear in the ST anyways? That in itself could be written around in the EU without jettisoning it entirely.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    My answer to your first statement would be that if one is not committed, one should not take the job in the first place. These folks are professionals.

To your second point, in all of thousands of posts that have been shared here at TFN since the big announcement, I've yet to read even one message written by any supporter of the original actors returning which would suggest that they are expecting anything but a passing of the torch scenario, where we are treated to a welcome new cast of characters. As far as I can tell, nobody wants these pictures to preclude a new generation of heroes and I cannot fathom that the folks at LucasFilm/Disney will either.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I suppose money can talk, but don't you think if they really didn't want to be involved that they would put their foot down now and outright refuse to participate? The rumor mill has been full of pieces stating that Hamill and Ford have expressed interest in returning to their roles and in the case of Fisher, there is the whole bit of her dropping the "I thought that was common knowledge" line (or something along those lines) in answer to a question about whether she will be reprising her role. Now, if any of this is true, there has to be some desire to come back to Star Wars, right? If they really didn't want to be involved, all they have to do is say, 'no.' So far, none of them have done so.

EDIT: And just saw that TreborSabreon pretty much said the same thing and took the words right out of my mouth! :p

8. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Not an issue with me. I was thrilled to see Ford playing Indy again regardless of age. Ford looked great.

Echo-07 and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Oh give me a break. "Over the Hill"? :rolleyes:

As far as 'Interested in playing the parts' again, who knows what any of them are thinking? We can guess and glean every scrap of interview and hearsay all we want, ultimately we won't know anything for a long time yet - even if an official announcement came out tomorrow that Harrison had signed the papers (he's the only one I personally believe would be a 'hold out, and even then, who knows?) not one hint of the story has escaped other than the all elusive 'a brand new story' - the movie could be Luke and Leia and Han judging an ewok beauty pageant for all we know.

The only thing I'm having an issue with here is the dismissal of the OT cast out of hand as 'too old, too out of touch' or 'not right' for whatever reason. Who knows, maybe even the 'Skywalker Legacy' might even entail people not related by blood at all? The 'Legacy' could even just be the teachings.

And god forbid if it did turn into a 'Star Trek' type of movie with the cast busting their trusses, well, that's how it would be - we've got two years of watching and waiting to find out...

Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    :rolleyes: Seriously? What would it have taken to make you "feel" like he was Indy? I don't get some of you people on this board . . . .

Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    No it doesn't mean the EU will for sure be wiped out, but all I was saying was that it makes it more likely, The best argument people had for saying the EU would be saved was that it might be about entirely separate characters or many years in the future.

And Chewie got a moon dropped on him. How exactly do you write around that? Plus it was a pretty huge event. And what was he doing all those years, just waiting around to reveal himself, letting Han be all depressed?

Yes, you could come up with some ridiculous retcon, but you could do that for pretty much everything. Even if the ST completely contradicts the EU, people will still come up with some ridiculous rationalization of how they still fit. But really, what's the point?

Plus the fact that Lucas can't even respect continuity in The Clone Wars, a show on the Cartoon Network, and people are expecting the creators of the ST to?

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    His ESB jacket seems more like it would hit an elderly Han as opposed to the sleveless jacket thing he was rockin for ANH and the majority of ROTJ. I think the vest should be retired (or maybe Lando steals his wardrobe again), bring back the blue jacket!

Echo-07 and HanSolo29 like this.
  13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'll be all for the blue jacket! :D

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Echo-07 like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That's one of the funniest things I have ever heard [face_rofl] Still least we got Luke the singing Jedi in the Simpsons.

But seriously the picture sums everything up. That's what people will want to see, fact is they are not going to look like that now. Think Indy 4 or Die Hard 5 as examples.

I keep hearing this passing of the torch stuff, to introduce brand new characters and there own stories why do they need to pass the torch ?

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    How is an aging Han Solo supposed to be relevant to the story?

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    To legitimise the new movies.

What got people excited about the prequels? What was the focus of the marketing? The OT was always lurking in promos for the PT. Yoda was the only thing on the AOTC IMAX poster. Vader featured prominently on the teaser posters for TPM and ROTS and the theatrical poster for ROTS as well. Vader's breathing was used on AOTC teasers. Clips from ANH were used to promote ROTS. Darth Vader in full suit was only in the prequels for, what, 5 minutes? Yet the spectre of Vader was present in PT marketing from late '98 until the release of ROTS in 2005.

Kids will see these new films as long as they look exciting, but older audiences want to see a thread of continuity linking the new films to the SW they know and love. That means familiar characters need to be present.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That's from a marketing perspective because Darth Vader sell's tickets, but also because it was billed as the back story of Darth Vader.

For the ST, they do not need that. ANH did not have it and neither do this. The only character I could seriously see in that role is Luke as a wise Jedi Master but that's it.

My worry is that It feels like there simply dumping a load of fan service into it to compensate for lack of script/story so the audience does not notice. To use the new Star Trek film as a comparison, there was a lot of running around and flashy lens flares but surprisingly little in the way of story or stuff that made sense. Same worry here but with them thinking yeah not much happens in this part so lets put Ford and ...... (insert OT name) on screen, that'll work

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    We don't know. None of us is writing the script.

19. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    all 3 will be back, maybe even the big 4 with Lando. Who freaking cares if they have too big or too small a role, It's new Star Wars, relax, it's gonna be good! If it is half as good as Star Trek(2009) it will be far better than any of the PT!

20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I'm trying not to get too excited until it's official, but come on, Harrison Ford as Han Solo again in a Star Wars movie. WOW! A year ago that was the last thing I expected to happen.

21. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    My enthusiasm is guarded as well.

I don't get all of the negativity, though.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The reasons for the negativity as you call it should be obvious from people's posts but I'll try and bullet point a few of them
    • Could be like Indy 4 and Die Hard 5 where a great character who is now old shows up and it's pretty deflating
    • Is simply fan service rather than relevant to the actual story
    • Is cover to compensate for lack of script/story and original engaging characters

23. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    All good points, but shouldn't we wait until the movie's out before we start ripping it apart?

24. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
  25. wookiebk

wookiebk Jedi Padawan

May 6, 2004
    He's too old, let go of him already.

Do we really want this **** again?
    [​IMG]