main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    FIX. THE. ENDING. Lady_Misty, you should have responded with WRITE. YOUR. OWN. STORY!

And was your _____________. symbolizing that they used profanity? If so you should have wrote: WRITE. YOUR. OWN. STORY! @#%^$&@!

Rew, Krayt-Eagle and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes Jedi_Lover they used profane language. They called me the other word for donkey or what some people call the butt.

I am slightly tempted to reply and say something like that but that might not help.

My sister said that I should post a message that such language wouldn't be tolerated but the odds are against me on ff.net. They might do it just to be cruel

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Lady_Misty If it is anonymous then DELETE! If it is a registered member I would PM then and ask them to write out the ending they desired and if it is good you will use it as an Alternate ending and you will credit them. Then if they say, "I can't write." Then tell them to quit their whining. If they do send you something tell them it sucks. lol! In my story of Alter of Waru people nicely said they wished I would have written the ending in a certain way. There were so many ways I could have ended the story. They had good suggestions and I ended up writing three different endings. :p Hey, it's my story, I can do what I want. But if I got such a rude response, there would be no way I would change a thing.

4. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Most likely it was the pairings.

Jaina/Jag, Tenel Ka/Jacen and then a surprise pairing.

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Lady_Misty....a surprise pairing? Now I am curious. Were you writing slash? ;) Just kidding. I remember that Centaur Jedi from YJK...didn't she have a crush on Jacen or something? I always thought that was a weird flirtatious storyline. But I may be remembering it wrong. Plus I get fanfic mixed up with profic a lot.

6. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I don't write slash.

The fic is called 'A Gift from the Past'.

The basis of the story is shortly before the events of LotF a Jedi Padawan is brought to the Temple encased in Carbonite. She had been injured in a blast and frozen.

The injuries had been repaired but they refroze her after each surgery.

I could tell you more but I don't want to spoil things for you if you read it.

It is childish in places but I know it could be worse.

I did reply to the mean reviewer. I asked them how they would have ended it. They haven't replied.

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    This is why my stories will never see the light of ff.net's day.

Aside from the occasional accidental link, I've never even been to the place. That said, I have heard a lot of salacious commentary on the stuff that is posted there.

It's the 4chan of the literary world, definitely.

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Edited. New pet peeve: when you post a reply to the conversation on page 72 and you don't realize there is a page 73 and you look like a moron.

But yes. FF,n scares me and none of my stories will be seen there.

9. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Been there, done that. And I know I feel like an ID-10-T.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You know what is more embarrassing...when you are an Army Private who actually goes to the supply room and says, "My Sergeant told me to come down here and pick up some ID-10-T forms". :p

Krayt-Eagle, TrakNar and pronker like this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Really?

I learned it from a friend while doing a letter game.

A smaller pet peeve I have is when for certain fics the writer does ZERO research. I agonize over things in Dark Angel Chronicles. I worry that Angel isn't acting her age, either she's too advanced or delayed for her age.. Thank goodness that my Beta has a degree in Early Childhood Education and Development so she calms my fears or guides me in the right direction.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, that is a very old trick. Somebody tried to pull it on me. I said, "Never heard of the forms." They then said, "Well write it down so you won't forget." So I said, "Sure." I then wrote. 'ID TEN T'. That got my co-worker frustrated. "No, no! You have to write the ten as a number.":p

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Such a shame - I've found some AMAZING stories on FF.net among all the garbage - I just filter out the junk.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    *raises hand sheepishly* This prank is new to me - and hey, you got the better of the one who pulled it on you! Good going.

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    It's tough to imagine Jedi_Lover in the army... ;)

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I was in 11 years. Ironically, my nickname was "Killer". I guess I was a fighter and not a lover back then. :p

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Anyone else bothered at times with the lack of research at times?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Indeed. Wookieepedia is a wonderful tool, and should be used as often as necessary.

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Pardon the double post, but:

This is more of a profic/pro-RPG type gripe that I have, and and unfortunately it seems to be rather prevalent in the Star Wars EU. Basically, it's when a story or mission takes a certain kind of combat scenario and assumes that a small gaggle of adventurers can pull it off more effectively than, say, a company of trained soldiers or a highly-experienced team of special forces operatives. Yes, I know that this "goes with the territory," but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Take the WOTC supplementary adventure The Betrayal of Darth Revan. As the name implies, it's an RPG outline for the missions that led up to and involved the capture of Darth Revan. In preparation for writing my own novel about the subject, I read the supplement in order to get an idea of what canon events were involved, since I wanted to keep it "canon friendly" as it were. And it turns out that prior to the important event that anyone who's played KOTOR knows about, there was a "minor" data raid on a Sith outpost on Serpidal. The outline calls for four to six players to carry out this raid (and the object was just a simple code cylinder), and that these same participants would also board Revan's flagship later on to try and capture the Sith Lord.

As a person who's also done his homework on military organization, strategy and tactics, this seems like a singularly bad idea. For instance, sending in six loosely-connected adventurers into an Imperial outpost instead of two companies of, say, Republic Marines, as I established in this little fanon article. Surprise and the swift application of overwhelming force can get you a lot farther than two Jedi, a space pirate, a couple of troopers, and a utility droid could, even if they're all at Level 20 (I don't believe in the Stormtrooper Effect and think it cheapens the struggle of galactic warfare).

KOTOR and KOTOR II both pull this kind of garbage, as do many other RPGs. It's another reason why I think Drew Karpyshyn is a better game writer than a novel writer (having played the Mass Effect games as well as having read his Mass Effect novels).

20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    You have a point. Trained people would be better for x role than so-and-so. Yes so-and-so would be so much cooler but be realistic for a moment about whether or not it will be believable or would happen in real life.

Stuff in Pro Fic doesn't make sense either. NJO: Star by Star lets send a bunch of TEENAGERS to destroy Jedi killing creatures. Just get some highly trained people to do it. Maybe some bounty hunters; life won't be fun without us.

Then the fact that Mara and Luke allow Jacen to interact with Ben unsupervised seeing that they have no clue where Jacen has been for the past five/six years. I as sure as anything not going to allow someone that I haven't seen in that period of time around my son. Especially when he is messing with medical equipment and saying 'trust me'. To the Devil with trust since I am not going to trust you until you stop playing with the freaking scanners!!!

And don't get me started on what comes afterwards. We will have to take this elsewhere.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    This made me want to slap Luke upside the head. It was the WORST idea ever!

Second worst idea ever!

If these weren't profic novels and instead were fanfics you know the authors would be flamed! What a horrible plot! Fix. It! [face_laugh]

And I really don't like the idea of Jedi children killing people at the age of eight or ten. Child soldiers sounds wrong in any galaxy.

Lady_Misty and Admiral Volshe like this.
  22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    XD Jedi_Lover, XD

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    THERE'S a 'Pet Peeve' of mine - the idea that just because someone was paid to write SW automatically makes it 'better' than fan fic... there's a whole boat load of utter DRECK pro-fic out there that fan fic authors could write rings around...

24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    There are days where I think I have better plots than the "pros".

25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh goodness. 95% of the fics that I've read on here are better than the Chrystal Star. There are a couple fan fic authors that could write circles around some of the one or two time EU authors (cough, Hambly) so yes, just because it is found in a bound book and it has a pretty cover, does not give it automatic supremacy over fanfic.