main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Harrison Ford to return as Han Solo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Claire, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    lol lol I don't care how old Harrison is it's freakin ham solo!

Pro Scoundrel and Vastor like this.
  2. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    With the correct approach with writing the script it could be tear inducing powerful scenes with Solo,don't worry man.

Poor Greedo and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    If written correctly, he will be fine.

But I worry how interesting the character will be. Frankly, Solo was pretty boring in ROTJ. As he gradually morphed into a noble member and leader of the Rebel Alliance, he became more comic relief than cool scoundrel. A married, domesticated Solo goes against everything that made him interesting in the early portions of the OT. He was a western gunfighter in ANH, but in ROTJ he was just making dumb jokes and worrying about everything. As a kid I dressed up as Solo for Halloween in the late 70s because he was the epitome of cool, but after ROTJ I completely lost interest in him.

I am not interested in EU backstories, I care about how he is presented when he appears on screen in 2015/2016. If he is a father/grandfather, husband/sidekick to the leader of the new government, he could be a very dull character. I think the story will be more interesting if he and leia have long since gone their separate ways, and he has returned to his life as part of the murky underworld. We loved Solo because he was a selfish "bad" guy who showed his true colors when danger was the greatest. As a pure good guy he is not interesting.

4. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I still refer to anyone younger than me as a "kid" or a "girl"... And, by no means, are we kids and girls any more. :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Agree, nothing is cooler then some old time gunnslinger kicking some braindead teen ass. Ford was awesome in the last Indy.
    Look at Sidious and Yoda and Tyranus, most fans love them,would rather have adult stars we respect then some young crappy teen actors.
    Only young actors i want in the new movies having a big part is Solo and Skywalker kids. And i cant wait to see Grandmaster Luke Skywalker
    in some beyond awesome force battle.Dont let me down JJ!!

HanSolo29 and TreborSabreon like this.
  6. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    If they nail the writing there's no reason an old Han can't work brilliantly. He's not going to be carrying the bulk of the action, and personally, I'd be surprised if he survives through the film. As the Carradine pic shows, there's a good precedent for ageing gunslinger types anyway. Clint in Unforgiven anybody? I though Ford was good in Indy, the problems where they arose were with the way he was written. To much Henry, not enough Indy, and far too little of him in the third act. It's not as if old characters aren't a part of the saga already: Obi-Wan Kenobi anyone? Was Guinness too old? And Abrams handled Nimoy's return as Spock well in Star Trek. Obviously, it's dependent on the execution but I'm optimistic.

7. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Am I the only one that remembers that when Peter Meyhew signed on for ROTS, The contract Lucas presented him was a multiple film contract??

I keep thinking back to that even though everyone insisted that ROTS was the final movie.

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I remember that too.

The Bops likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread clarifies that some fans will always be angry about every single thing. I'm personally excited for the prospect of Ford reprising his role.

10. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012

It's clear that he still has that Han in him. Harrison should be the least of our concerns. He's a legend, with a right script he'll be fine.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

"Daniel Craig is my wookiee **** now!" [face_rofl]

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's priceless!! "She's still spitting up furballs!" Hilarious!!

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012

We don't even know what the story is and so it kind of looks like some are being negative for the sake of negativity. If this is a sequel to ROTJ then isn't reasonable for the characters of that film to have some closure like Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader and Palpatine did in the OT. That didn't stop Luke, Han and Leia from being engaging characters and the main focus of the OT. Why should it being any different for the new Big 3 of the ST? I'll bet Lucas/Arndt haven't placed them into the story for mere fan service and I'm sure they'll have a significant impact on the story. Like for instance say Han and Leia are the guardians of the new hero (if it's their actual son/daughter then that would be obvious) and their role is similar to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's in ANH with their deaths compeling the new hero to start the hero's journey. Would that not be relevant enough to warrent their inclusion? That's is only one scenario and there are dozens more. What I'm trying to say is that we have pretty talented writers on board and I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. There is no point in complaining before we know anything about the plot.

14. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not. The guy is 70 years old. It wont look good at all and will feel forced.

15. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    I disagree. Fully.

16. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    It's not something I am interested in seeing. It would be horrible and feel forced. I don't want Luke, Leia, or Han in their 60's 70's back up on the screen looking as physically horrible as they look now. I'll just set there cringing in disgust.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I guess no 70+ year old actors should ever be cast in movies. Christopher Lee should never have been in AOTC and Yoda's age should have been retconed so he could be pimply teenager. Could we please worry about something more important than a characters age. Will the story be sound, will the direction be sound, will the music be sound! Something other then, "Oh no, he's old so he can't possibly be important to the story!" That is just plain nonsense.

18. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Great news.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm excited for this. Can't wait to see Episode 7!

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  20. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't think that at all. I don't think its like he is going to be the main character, I think Luke is likely to take on the main wise Jedi Master role and the other two will have roles of a different sort but still a role of significance.

FinleySlade likes this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why is it important to have all three of them - Luke, Leia and Han - as supporting characters in this new movie? That strikes me as overkill. If that's the case, why not add Lando, while they're at it?

And since it is impossible for this new trilogy to be about the formation of the new Galactic Republic due to the presences of the aging "Big Three", what exactly is it about?

I think you have Han and Lando mixed up. Han hasn't been a "cool scoundrel" to me, since I was in my twenties. His character tend to be slightly infantile from the first movie to the third.

22. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The way some are carrying on it sounds like there ought to be an age restriction placed on actors appearing in films. I'd be highly surprised if they are more than supporting characters to the next generation of heroes (who may or may not be family members). Leia will be a Mon Mothma type, Luke an Old Ben type and Han, well... He'll be old Han. THey won't be carrying the lion's share of the action or plot any more than Guinness did in ANH. I'd bet money on Luke becoming a force ghost before the end of Episode 7 and I could easily see Han and Leia buying it by the end of Act 1. There is no way we won't get all new heroes to follow, who will become our sole focus as the trilogy progresses.

Krueger and Echo-07 like this.
  23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I hate it when people discriminate someone based on age.

"He's old, he should not be doing that anymore" etc etc.

Fine, can't wait to see those haters compare to, for example, Rolling Stones, when they hit 60+.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Hell yeah! I've been busy working OT and haven't been here much. Just heard the rumor and am very ecstatic!!!

Honestly, though, I believe that Ford is the last of the Big 3 to sign on. I fully believe that Mark and Carrie are already a go!

I'm cautiously optimistic this is true!!! Awesome!

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Anakin was too young, Han is too old - no pleasing some people...