main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Confirmed. Disney To Release Additional Films Based On ‘Star Wars’ Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Want to see character from movies or EU

1. Movies

59 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Movies and EU.

156 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. EU only

16 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012

Do you go to a major grocery chain? Department stores? Have an IPhone or Android? Have a car loan? All corporate.

2. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Why do people want Darth Vader? There have been six films have been about him, albeit Anakin Skywalker. But I think he needs some rest/ be left alone.

3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Looks like Ewan wants to do a solo Obi Wan movie! Here's an extract from an article (full link provided below):

http://www.latinospost.com/articles...-episode-7-spin-offs-update-ewan-mcgregor.htm

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    EWAN.....stop making me love you more. [face_love]

TreborSabreon and Graphic like this.
  5. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't own a car because I don't drive, not interested in it or how much it cost. I refuse to own a cellphone/ipad, I frankly hate them. And I don't give my money to Hollywood and the leftist minions in it.

Milking Star Wars to death just ruins it. 5 movies in 6-7 years is too much. I am already sick of the rumors and chatter.

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe you chaps have already mentioned this here or in another thread, but I was thinking it would be cool to have Han and Boba's childhoods tangle up at some point. Maybe they are even friends for a time, as slaves in the spice mines of Kessel, or some such. They could each make appearances in each other's films, or maybe share a Han and Boba film together.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think if the writing and storytelling are good, there's no need to be sick of it. People weren't too sick of The Avengers when it came out not to see it, mainly, because it was good fun.

I think the big question is if you think the Star Wars universe is big enough to be explored a lot, which I do, but that question returns us ultimately to the question of writing and storytelling: will it be good enough?

I don't think you can write off the production of a whole world simply because you don't trust Disney, etc to do it well.

Pearlsaber likes this.
  8. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Thats kind of the point of this website.

9. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I want everything SW Disney wants to throw at us!

I hope they give us a The Other Guys kinda comedy set in the SW universe too! I want a Pixar movie base on Jawas like they did in Despicable Me!

10. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, because milking it dry for any and every thing makes it good and quality? No.

I HATE Star Wars parodies and comedy. It's garbage.

11. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    The Avengers was a brand new thing. Utterly different story here. Milking Star Wars for 5 moves in 7 years is OVERKILL.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Then don't watch them! It's really as simple as that. Disney/Lucasfilm aren't forcing you or anyone else to watch the movies they're going to put out. If you don't want to then it is your choice to stay home. Disney/Lucasfilm should't restrain themselves from making films and introducing countless new generations to Star Wars just because a few people don't want to see the brand used in that way. Sure there will probably be stinkers along the way (as with most franchises) but with the talented people already on board there is no reason to suspect that there won't also be some great pictures as well. In the end, like any film out there if you don't like it then don't watch it.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

EXACTLY! I don't care for the books, ergo, I don't read them - I may poke fun at teh EU, and especially those who live and die by it, but I won't demand that they stop making them, or throw a fit because more keep coming out. That's just plain silly.

And there's NO difference between 'Milking' the Avengers/Batman/X-men what have you - every franchise has it's own subset of fans who will pick and choose what they follow.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This x100! I don't read alot of the EU either but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they continue to be made. I'm really looking forward to taking my kids to these new films and now that they want to make more films after the ST my kids will likely be able to take their own kids to Star Wars movies in the far future. That is a pretty special thing to me.

Boxster likes this.
  15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Sorry, can't resist this...

Yeah, in 1963 - which makes it one of the few things older than me these days :p

Boxster and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    This strikes me as overkill. And I also believe that Marvel can only go so far with their handling of the AVENGERS saga and its characters. In fact, I have the suspicion that Disney is trying to rehash the success of the AVENGERS storyline - from 2008's "IRON MAN" to last year's "AVENGERS", with this series of other movies about the STAR WARS movies.

17. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm not that keen on the idea of spin off movies. Star Wars has always had this overarching theme which is the battle between good and evil. Spin off movies about one character would feel kind of hollow in my opinion. However as they will be happening I see no reason to limit the subject to movies only or EU only before the film has even got off the ground.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank God that I wasn't the only one who recognized that DarthVengeant is an accomplished satirist using irony and hyperbole in order to subtly mock hypocrites and frauds.

19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Disney can make all the spin-off films they want, and most likely they will have at least moderate success at the box office. In the end, they will most likely win despite people complaining about them on message boards. Sounds like a movie win to me.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's pretty much bang-on exactly what they're doing. I would have just hoped for Ep. 7-9 at first but, hey, if they're gonna spin in between the episodes, spin away. I think placing the spin-offs in the non-ST timeline would be a better choice, though, at least while the ST is going. Like a spin-off from the ST would dilute the impact of that story but I'd be fine with revisiting characters and eras from the OT / PT as the ST was being produced.

21. David Price

David Price Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2013
    I personally dont want to see to many films. but the swu is to great to not explore. With that being said the entire saga was about was about the rise and fall of Vader. However without Band and his ruthlessness Vader and Sidous would never have been. The Rule of 2 is crucial in how Vader came to be. The sith was wipped out by Bane. Bane is what the Sith grew in power to be. How can you not make a spin off without doing a film on bane. The EU spinoffs cant be about the orginal characters we Fans already know everything about them and most passing fans not enough about the orginal characters. Lets bring in the Real stories. In EP2 they talk about the rule of 2 now we need to see how the rule of 2 came to be DARK LORD OF THE SITH DARTH BANE!!!

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Still, I'd wish they don't neglect the live action series.

That has potential to explore almost anything in SW universe, without watering down the franchise with too many movies.

DarthHomer likes this.
  23. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Live action TV show >>>>> Solo movies (or even a Han Solo solo movie).

We'd all love to see a Boba Fett movie, of course, but every spin off will dilute the brand to the point where a Star Wars movie ceases to be an event. No matter what your opinions of the prequels, they all felt like something special on their release because of the years of buildup to each one. How long before Disney is doing direct to home video SW movies that make the Ewok movies seem like Citizen Kane?

24. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's a good question.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would pay 500 or a 1000 bucks if Disney made movies about 100 charecters. Disney has some plans with the EU, just not going to be in the sequel trilogy!

EDIT: I would love a Prince Xizor and Thrawn movie based charceter spin-off film!!!!!