main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Harrison Ford to return as Han Solo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Claire, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There is no pleasing some people period, especially on the JC.

I wonder if we did another poll, what percentage would say they do not want to see a 70 year old Han.

2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Anakin was too young ;)

Look, it all depends on execution. If the plan for episode 7 is to follow an old Luke, Han and Leia through all the action with no new characters, then obviously that's probably not going to deliver, but the people involved are very talented, creative people who are all fans of the saga. They will respect how those characters are treated (especially as Kasdan is consulting) but they will also know that they will need to blood new characters to carry the saga forward successfully.

Sure it may not work, but to say it can't work when we know so little at this stage, just seems blinkered.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Christopher Lee was, what, 82?

I don't think we're talking about the Big Three as the same type of characters as they were in the OT, I think we're talking more about supporting roles. At least I hope so; I don't particularly want them to do what the EU has done, which is to give Han and Leia a really crappy parenting experience in order to keep them and Luke as, well, The Big Three, as opposed to allowing their offspring to emerge as main characters.

I'm not at all concerned about Ford being capable of reprising his role, and if Han is supposed to be in his 60s or 70s, why not a 70-year-old actor?

4. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said. That's ok, though, because we're both entitled to our own opinions. However:

1. Explain exactly how having Luke, Leia, and Han in Ep. 7 means that the formation of a New Galactic Republic is impossible? We have no idea what happens between the end of ROTJ and the new movie.

2. And Han was envisioned from the start as a fulfilling the scoundrel "type". I'll admit that his domestication in ROTJ moved him away from the typology of the character, but I fail to see how Han Solo was ever "infantile". Jar Jar Binks? That's infantile.

Perhaps I'm a little dumb-founded by people purporting to be Star Wars fans who don't like Han Solo. To me (and again, just an opinion), that's like saying "I love M&M's, but I hate chocolate."

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Lee, Cushing, Guinness, McDiarmid (more in the PT). All great actors and all senior or verging on it. If the big three are playing age appropriate I can't see how it's a problem, if the characters are well written. And Ardnt is a good writer.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Kenobi as played by Alec Guiness. Generals Dodonna and Riekan. Palpatine and Dooku. All of advanced age, all characters in Star Wars, most of them major. People who think Ford and the others are "too old" do not seem to have a firm grasp on what's come before in the Saga. Older folks are as much a part of the story as young people.

7. Darth Horn Rollo

Nov 2, 2012
    I completely agree with this. I don't expect Han to be running around chasing bad guys, but a supporting role where he can crack wise and loudly doubt the abilities and wisdom of a new generation of good guys? I'll take it in a heartbeat. Perhaps dying while trying to defend his kids or something other relatively innocent party? I'll take that, too. Using that as motivation for his kid(s) to seek revenge thereby flirting with the dark side while Luke tries to guide them (while struggling with emotions of his own)? Sounds good to me.

8. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    No way the original 3 make it past the next movie if they are involved. They will simply help set the stage for the next generation then be killed in some selfless act or other. I for one would like to see closure for their characters on screen, not just in dialog. The focus will be on the new stuff. Don't sweat it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. Darth Horn Rollo

Nov 2, 2012
    I could see Han and Leia being killed in Ep. 7, but I really see Luke being in all three (though possibly in a very small role in Ep. 8) and perhaps dying in Ep. 9. I dunno. What's going to happen story-wise is 100% conjecture at this point. I'm just excited that this is even happening. As long as it's not focused on the Binks family, I'm cool. And I, for one, wouldn't mind an appearance by Dexter Jettster...

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012

11. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. Out of the 3 Luke seems most likely to make it past the next movie. I bet Fisher and Ford die together in the next one.

TreborSabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  12. Darth Horn Rollo

Nov 2, 2012
    I'll tell you what, if we see Han Solo die on the big screen, that could really be VERY powerful for people who grew up with the original trilogy. Han Solo is one of those characters for my generation (I was born in '77) that looms really large. These characters are absolutely iconic. And if they are handled wisely and well in the new movies, then it will be an absolutely incredible cinematic experience. If these characters are wasted or if they look foolish, then the amount of backlash will make the reaction against the PT seem minor by comparison.

13. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Ohhhh. I like that idea. The Falcon getting passed on to the kids and living on for the rest of Star Wars. Holy crap.

Or what if Solo buys the farm in the falcon, flying it into some big enemy ship or something. He goes down with the ship. This is too much. I can't stand it. Need a Zanex.

And about the Ford hate, I don't get it either? Fisher is the only one who physically would have trouble but I bet she's on a treadmill right now! hehehe. Ford looks great for his age and besides the time frame is right so why would they NOT look older? Pretty sure this will take place 20-30 years after RoTJ giving time for their kids to age and be trained as Jedi.

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I could definitely see Han and Leia's deaths compelling the protagonist to start the hero's journey like Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (personally I hope they have bigger roles than that but I could see it happening.) As for Luke I really see him surviving until Episode IX and having a major role in the ST.

15. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah. They are playing with fire on that one. If I just hear about his death in the dialog or some villain mentions their death at the hands of some other villain in passing I'm throwing my drink at the screen.

The Bops and Echo-07 like this.
  16. Darth Horn Rollo

Nov 2, 2012
    I completely agree. What I don't want to see is a rehash of OT situations (Obi-Wan = Luke, Han and Leia = Owen and Beru). One thing I was thinking today is that the movies have not explored possible animosity between siblings. This has evidently been covered extensively in the EU (apparently - I've read very little). But differing reactions by their children to Han and Leia's death with Luke trying to hold things together sounds kind of compelling to me.

17. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Well Hamill deserves it. He has been very supportive of the SW community over the years. If they snubb him or make him all CG or something I will freak right the hell out. I can def see a repeat of the Ben/Luke relationship as a motivation for the new heroes. "Star Wars Episode VII: A New Hero".

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is where I differ to some, I suppose. I’ve always seen the appeal in catching up with beloved characters later on in life to see what’s happened to them and what they've been up to. And, without sounding too biased, you don’t get much more beloved than Han, Leia and Luke, and everyone associated with them.

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I may be obvious here, but my favorite character . . . And I grew up with the OT. Saw it at the drive in when I was 5. Had this poster on my wall:

[​IMG]

My first action figure:

[​IMG]

Just seeing him back after all the adventures and the turmoil of him almost dying (and Ford wanting him dead.) Killing Han in 7 could be the most epic moment in cinematic history if done right and I expect it will be. I lived with Han Solo for over 30 years and his story deserves to be concluded in epic fashion.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The way I see it is Luke's role in the ST should be more significant than the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan mentor role. If he is the father of the new protagonist than there should be some conflict between the two that needs to be resolved before the end of the trilogy. I think his death should the ultimate low point for the hero but also compel him/her to confront the main villain.

21. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Nice. I like this. Siblings against Siblings, all with Skywalker blood. Now that could make for an emotionally charged story. The next trilogy starts with them working together to defeat a new threat only to have the most powerful sibling fall to the darkside at the end of the 3rd movie setting up the next trilogy. Could be as many as 4 kids with Skywalker blood if they hold to the idea that Jedi can marry in the new order. The other 2 or 3 are then tasked with the destruction of the fallen one who is much more powerful kinda like Obi-Wan/Anakin & Luke/Vader. Obi-Wan loved Anakin but did what had to be done leaving him for dead.

22. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Got a bit off topic but good stuff! I need a drink.

23. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I see it as the Solo twins (say Jaicen and Jaina) and the Skywalker daughter (say Nomi) being trained by Luke. They are still padawans and the Jedi Order is still in fledgling stages meaning that Padawans drastically out-number Matsers.

Leia as either a Senator or Supreme Chancellor is forced to request the aid of the NJO -- Luke and Padawans -- into action against a violent new threat (like say the Mandalorians.) While battling to rescue some planet that is being invaded -- while assisting General Han Solo in this theater. Han is killed trying to save a ship of refugees or something. This is witnessed by the Padawans. Jaicen and Jaina of course take it hard and this starts to Jaicen (or Jaina) on the path to the Dark Side, blurring the lines between Justice and Revenge. Jaicen turns to the Dark Side and strikes down Jedi Master Uncle Luke and gathers a band of Jedi to his cause. It's up to the [symbolic sisters] Jaina and Nomi to restore Jaicen and company back to the light side.

This is just my impressions of how the story could go from what we've last seen. The details just might be different here or there.

Angel Eyes and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Its kinda funny how some people are like "yay, Hans back! I hope he dies!" :p Well its not what is exactly being said but still...

Not saying I agree or disagree with it, I'm happy to have Han and other two back and maybe more its just a humorous observation. :)

25. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    I'm gonna see HAN SOLO on screen again? Played by Harrison Ford? That just made my day.
    I couldnt care less if he was 90. We all grow old!!!

Okay Indy 4 wasn't great, but it had some great moments and i loved seeing Indy again. And its problems weren't Harrisons fault.