main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Harrison Ford to return as Han Solo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Claire, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    [face_laugh]

It is funny when you think about it, but let me try to explain. Harrison Ford said he wanted to kill-off Han after TESB. And he spoke thereafter as though he'd never be interested in repsiring the role. So to have HF state that he's open and upbeat toward reprising the role and to hear that he's back is BONUS and if they have to kill him off, which would be very apropos at this point -- in a "passing of the torch" film -- then it has my blessings.

I just don't want to hear in dialogue one or two lines telling us he died in a blaze of glory. That NEEDS to be shown on screen. It's an absolute must and I truly believe Kathleen and Disney both fully understand this. IF they choose to write him out in some other way, like Han and Leia decide to retire to Bocca'Rat One, some remote planet in the outer rim, that would be highly lame, but better than just hearing some quick lines about his fate.

Does any of that clear things up? :)

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    #1 - It's just a part of life - the natural progression of a character. You can't stay young forever. Now, I can't speak for Die Hard 5 (I've never seen it), but Indy 4 was fine in my book. Harrison did a fantastic job portraying an older Indy. If anything hurt that film, it was issues with the plot, but it certainly wasn't Harrison. He was one of the highlights.

#2 - Have you read the script? How can you be sure of that? If you go back to Lucas' original notes, he always intended to portray an older Luke in any Sequel Trilogy that was made. Why not throw in Han and Leia as well? They are part of that same generation and since they were in such a prominent role in the OT, it would make perfect sense for them to be present to help pass the torch to the next generation of heroes.

#3 - Again, how do you know? Have you read the script? How can you make such sweeping statements without any knowledge of what the story is even about?

4. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    +1000

Said it myself before that Ford was the very least of Indy 4's problems, which began with the script, Shia Lebouf and cascaded from there.

5. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    They could film parts of VIII and IX when filming VII so survival isn't completely out of the question. But of the big three I see Han as most likely to die because he's reckless and likely to piss off the wrong person. :)

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    It is true Harrison wanted Han killed off. I wonder if he still feels the same on the matter. Of the "trio" I can easily see Han being the one to have a epic and unforgettable exit. It all depends on the story I suppose. But if Han is to leave, I agree it definitely needs to be a on-screen event.

7. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    I know!!!

8. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Indy 4's problem was more to do with scale. The old Indy movies were smaller and more intimate just like the OT. The characters just get lost in all the epic CG mayhem, imploding temple scene etc.

While I'd like to see a smaller more intimate movie for the new SW stuff I think the world has moved on. I don't think that the OT would have a chance in today's market, it would bomb. The new Star Trek gives me hope that you can have big space battles and wide scenes and still care about the characters. Loved the beginning of that movie where he kamikazes the alien ship. Made me tear up.

9. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I bet he gets 20+ Million per episode. That can do a lot to change a person's motivations.

10. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Man, this sucks.. The main reason I preferred the PT over the OR is becase Han Solo wasn't in it....Bummer.

11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    :eek:

12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He still fit Han, however I don't think the other two have the shape to reprise their roles.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I'm excited as hell, man it's like a dream. So happy:_|

Some whiney arrogance is flowing through this thread. It's one thing to suggest you don't like the idea and another to fall all over yourself trying to explain why you feel that way to others. So much effort

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh, I totally agree! It would feel like such a cop-out if it was reduced to one line of dialogue or reserved for the novels or something like that. A character with as much of an impact as Han deserves to have his death onscreen. Maybe I'm biased because I'm such a huge Han fan, but it is what it is. I can't change the way I feel about it.

My thoughts exactly!

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I [face_love] Carrie..

16. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Interesting... but I'll believe it when I see it. :p

17. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    Does anyone think within the next week/weekend it will be officially announced by Lucasfilm?

The news of J.J. Abrams, Michael Arndt, Lawerence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg, the postponing of Episode II and III in 3D, and the news of spin-off films were all reported on StarWars.com shortly after they were leaked on various other news outlets.

I really hope there won't be a ton of plot leaks about Episode VII considering how many leaks of information there has been already. I want to stay spoiler-free. :(

Darth Chiznuk and Echo-07 like this.
  18. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    There's a picture on this page with your name on it, buddy. :p

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Not to be a nit-picking dick but the rumors about Kasdan and Kinberg came out about a month or more before they were officially announced. They were only announced when JJ was. However, what were considered rumors at the time turned out to be 100% true and accurate.

I'll set the over/under at 6 days before we get an official announcement and take the under. Perhaps as soon as Monday.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I learned my lesson from Ep III....once the Teaser and Full trailers are out Im going to put up the deflector shields and stay away

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They look wonderful to me. ^:)^

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They look good in their age, yes, but not as the SW characters.

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    So, we can no longer have older characters in the Star Wars universe? I didn't know it was an age exclusive club.

They portrayed the original characters. In may respects, their faces are Luke and Leia. So, don't you think they would be the logical choices to play Luke and Leia at their appropriate ages? Face it, we all put on a little weight and get droopy skin as we age. I'd rather see the characters age naturally than walking around like spring chickens with plastic faces and fake bodies just so they look "young."

24. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    I could see Mark Hamill making the part. Carrie Fisher doesn't really look like Carrie Fisher from the CT anymore though. NOT that she shouldn't be in the film, or that she would be bad, but she does in reality look a lot different.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    If you know the EU, directly jump to their old age will bring a lot of difficulty to the story unless they cut out most of the EU. And 2 of them have not played movies in quite a few years at least, certainly not in good shape and might ruin their old image. Did DC hire Kirk Alyn for Superman in 1977? No. Did they hire Keaton for Batman in 2005? No.

Star Wars need new heroes and new era, let the old one keep their best image in the saga.