main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Fine. Now I have five shows to follow. When will I find enough time to finish my Men from the Ministry fanfic?

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Bah, backlogs. I have backlogs of movies, TV, books, and games.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This, plus comics.

4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Suebi_Faction

So that's confirmed. Meaning the other two factions that will be available on the release date (we all know that there will be a crap-load of DLC factions, no matter how much CA denies it) are almost certainly Ptolemies and Seleucids. Though I suppose Parthia is a possibility.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, have they said that those are the only playable ones? Reading the respublica's description -- well, I like the new faction logo. I'm curious about how they're keeping the same 3 families from RTW, although at least properly named this time. gens Iulia all the way, of course!

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    They're also apparently making them all part of the same faction.

Which is good.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Parthia better be one of them. Fond memories of hit and run attacks on the Ptolemaies and Seleucids.

8. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    IIRC they have said that these are the only playable ones. Like I said, they'll almost certainly milk the DLC potential for all that it is worth, and for all we know there may be more faction play that they have kept under wraps so far. I'd love to see more Diadochi factions, as well as the tech advancements from EB.

What's great about the Roman faction is that they also got the family names right this time.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Now, if only they could get the offices and titles right.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I heard about the single faction thing earlier but the retention of the families is new to me. I really hope they do the politics right; as flawed as it was, I lked the Senate in RTW. Mostly for the hilarious flavor text on the diplomacy screen and your Senatorial/popular standing screen. The actual gameplay of the Senate faction and the electoral system was whacked, though.

I am pretty excited about the fact that this time you can choose to be the savior of the Republic instead of destroying it through dictatorship and/or imperium. I always hated the fact that I could never win in vanilla RTW by being the Senate's champion and bringing the other families to heel.

RC-1991 -- I forget, have I ever recommended Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series to you? It seems particularly relevant given your capstone thesis topic. It's an immaculately researched historical fiction series about the late republic, starting prior to the Social War. You might find it interesting. Of course, you should avoid pulling anything from the novels into your actual work but... it's good recreational reading.

11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason I don't play the game more. I want to play by their rules, without having to play the entire republic itself.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, EB's a lot more fun than vanilla. It removes the political aspect entirely, which makes me really sad, so you have to just pretend that different families are vying against one another. But the nice part about it is that you CAN play multiple gentes all at once, because of how they depict family members through traits instead of hardcoded names.

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    @GrandAdmiralJello- I've never picked up the Masters of Rome series, but it sounds awesome. Something else to add to the backlog :p

14. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Tell me about it. My backlog grows bigger every time there's a Steam or gog.com sale. I really need to cut back. :p

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not a gamer which is probably a good thing because I'm working on the backlogs on my Kindle and my Netflix queue.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Bah, Rome II. I'm waiting for Empire II myself.

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My biggest backlog is my music pile (well, not a "pile"... only physical music I use anymore is vinyl), mainly because that one has been building up for years and years. That said, my backlog for books, TV, games and comics are getting pretty unmanageable. Plus I've been trying to buy a new effect pedal at least once every two months, so that assures that I'll always be a little more broke than I'd like.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, my backlog is pretty bad as well- easily 50+ games across various systems, almost a foot tall pile of comics, probably about a dozen TPBs, about 12-15 SW books, 2 or 3 non-SW books (though I rarely read anything but SW due to time constraints) and maybe 2 dozen DVDs (and we'll not mention the uncountable discs worth of bonus content I would have liked to have poured through at some point).

And, of course, I'm going to make it worse for myself in the future, as I slowly compile a list of every movies I haven't seen that I might have an interest in over in this thread (I've taken care of the 00's so far, starting on the 90's currently, then I'm going to work my way back to the 80's, 70's and "other").

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ibirians might also be a possibility, though I also think it will be Ptolemies and Seleucids

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    yeah, it's going to HAVE to be at least one of those two and I suspect both. Macedonia is nice and all, but -- well, wait, they haven't announced the Greek Cities yet. And while they're supposed to be independent factions now instead of one weird superfaction, seems weird we'd only get Hellenistic but not Hellenic factions as playable.

In other news: today I woke up to the fun experience of water bubbling up from my floorboards when I walked around, accompanied by an ominous squishing sound. Then the building super showed up and blamed me for a leak that was happening on the floor below. Luckily, I remembered an odd dripping sound from last night and had the presence of mind to look around and discovered water warping on MY ceiling and walls, and successfully avoided the super breaking through my walls to find a leak that was actually upstairs.

I am victorious on all fronts.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's one hell of a leak.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Water problems? Sounds like Mon Cal saboteurs to me.

Mixed on Ponies finale. It wasn't bad, but it was like song, song, song, song, ascend to a higher plane of existence, song, credits (with song) And it will be a while before season 4. At least Community is back to keep me going. Bring on more Jeff/Annie! Ooh, and Castle looks awesome coming up, and Bones has potential.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I knew it was a trap!

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, this just happened: ahahahahaha

[​IMG]

Ulicus likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait... the Papal States are a republic? The Pope is a Doge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.