main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Were Obi-Wan and Anakin ever friends?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    In the prequel trilogy, I never really got the sense that Obi-Wan and Anakin were really friends. I mean, sure we here about their times when they fell in a Nest of Gundarks and Cato Neimoidia, but in the movies, Anakin is always complaining about Obi-Wan behind his back and Obi-Wan seems to be irratated with Anakin all the time. We need to be told they are friends.

So, do you think that the prequels did a poor job of showing the friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan like we were told in the originals?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We weren't told much in the originals other than Obi-Wan making one statement.

I do wish we had seen more of their friendship and more of Anakin's non-angsty side in general, more scenes such as the speeder chase scene in AOTC and the opening scene in ROTS. It seemed that the films had too many time constraints and too much material.

But I also wouldn't say that the films showed nothing of their friendship, and I also think that some fans have taken Obi-Wan's statement to Luke in ANH and blown it out of proportion.

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    We do get a good amount of scenes depicting their relationship. They aren't always at each others throat. We have the whole palpatine rescue where we see how loyal anakin is to obi-wan, and they have tranquil scenes together in EP II.

IHeartKenobi89, KenW, ILNP and 3 others like this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Were OB1 and Vader ever friends? In my opinion, GL did a terrible job of defining their relationship in the PT. In the EU it seems like they are professional colleagues with a budding friendship or even affection for each other. I think a definitive answer (yes) depends on whether or not you accept EU answers, because the writing is too uneven in the movies to say for sure whether Anakin returned the affection that OB apparently felt for him.

ScutFarkus and fett 4 like this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'd say something the same for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relationship - professional colleagues with some affection, or genuine friendship? - in the movies alone.

ILNP and BoromirsFan like this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Absolutely. They seemed to me to have a very brotherly relationship. They get frustrated with each other, they argue, they're jealous at points but in the end they have a deep love for each other. It shows in scenes such as: the speeder chase, the scene where Obi-Wan is trying to retransmit his message and is worried about Anakin, Anakin disobeying Mace Windu by going to save Obi-Wan on Geonosis, the scene on the Republic gunship, the banter they share in the battle of Coruscant, Anakin refusing to leave Obi-Wan behind (during the battle when his ship is attacked by the buzz droids and later on the Invisible Hand), the scene on the landing pad just after the battle, the scene where Obi-Wan tells Anakin that he must spy on the chancellor (I think Obi-Wan shows a lot of concern for him at the end of the scene), the scene just before Obi-Wan departs for Utapau, the deep sadness Obi-Wan shows when he watches Anakin burn. These are just a few instances that I could think of when their love for each other shines through. My point is just because they argue and are frustrated with each other doesn't mean they hate each other. I think it shows the exactly opposite in fact.

8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Anakin did return obi-wan's affection. most notably in ROTS.

BUT he always puts padme above Obi-Wan. It is because of padme that Anakin acts all moody and angry. In Episode II he is frustrated with his feelings for her, and in III he has a budding suspicion that Obi-Wan may not be on his side (post rescue, after he senses Obi-wan visited the apartment)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They were, but I agree that a flaw in the PT is that they didn't do a great job showing that.

fett 4 likes this.
  10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Agreed. The whole elevator scene in Clones was only added in post production because they realised it.

GL also had to try and (fail to) backtrack the whole last film to show Anakin is noble in RotS so instead of good man tragically seduced to the darkside, it was a whiny psycho who goes more psycho

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    There were a few lines.

In RTJ from Obi-wan "The good man who was your father was destroyed, Anakin was a good friend"
    from Vader "Obi-wan once thought as you do"

Now I can't for the life of me seeing Vader saying that about the guy who just stood and watched him burn alive.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You shouldn't need to read a book to explain something in a film though.

ScutFarkus likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I count the former as essentially one statement--or if for argument's sake, two, it's still been blown out of proportion.

I agree about "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." That would have made more sense as "Your mother once thought as you do."

14. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Yes they were friends.
    I complain about my best friend who is often irritated with me. We're still best friends.

KenW likes this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think they were meant to be friends but Lucas never bothered to show it,so there little chat about how many times Anakin saved his life and Obi-wans decelerations to "both" Yoda and Anakin, that Anakin is his brother all came across as false.

TBH it was written so badly I dunno why Anakin didn't just leave him like Palpatine said on the ship.

ScutFarkus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    In PT yes, just not very tight, and it is accurate base on OT.

KenW likes this.
  17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    the line "and he was a good friend" was spoken by Guiness as though he really meant it.

Almost as if he was told by Lucas that it there really was a deep friendship there, his look was of rememberence of happy times (even though Guiness had nothing to work from, a sign of a great actor) so no I don't believe the one line has been blown out of proportion because the line was one of the best acted in the whole saga.

And no I don't believe the PT showed really any sign of that great a friendship because it focused on Padme and Anakin too much.

I actually think the only time I felt Obi-Wan really care for him or showed any sign of actually liking him instead of tolerating him was "he won't let me down he never has"

and Anakin's concern of Obi's unconscious state on the invisible hand was the only time I felt genuine concern for his mentor

lets look at AOTC:

"HE'S LIKE MY FATHER, but you heard master windu, he gave me orders to stay here"

yup great friendship there from the guy who always followed orders no matter what...

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And the same time he was trying to use his "good friend"'s son to kill him, Vader didn't hesitate a bit to kill Obi Wan, didn't even ask him to surrender after he put down the lightsaber.

Don't look at what they said, look at their actions.

KenW likes this.
  19. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    but look at the way he said the line:

it was more to himself than to Luke

unless you're suggesting Obi is just as manipulative and crafty as Palpatine

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's Vader we are talking here. He's nuts (that's what makes him interesting). Also, he is not really Anakin Skywalker anymore. That part he purged from himself, quite thoroughly.

I have always taken OBWs line in ANH as honest.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He also said Vader killed Anakin, is that true?

If they really were that good friends, they would still keep respect to each other in OT and Vader would not kill Obi Wan without any hesitation, even after Obi Wan stopped fighting. It's not the PT didn't portray their friendship, it's not as strong as some people thought, but it's accurate if we look at OT carefully rather than just listen to one line.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You resort to the same arguments time after time - I would not "keep respect" to a good friend who turned evil, killed my family and helped usher in the end of democracy and the rule of Sith.

Actually, "keep respect" isn't really a term that means something to me - if "keep respect" is your way of saying "remaining a friend" - no, I would not retain friendly feelings for a former friend who betrayed everything and everyone.

Samnz and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How should I put it: Vader is insane. He is full of shame and pain and obsessions he can't admit to himself. It is what gives him his unique willpower. But it also makes him hate Obi-Wans guts because he needs to blame "somebody" for his problems .

Obi-Wan is a bit similar in that regard. The pain is too much for him to face either so he dehumanizes Vader. He tells himself Vader and Anakin are different persons.

I understand both.

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    He also said Vader killed Anakin, is that true?

--

from a shakespearian poetic sense you bet vader destroyed the good man that was once his father

Vader= the darkside

Anakin = "the good man that was once his father"

some say that Anakin was always nuts,

but if that's the way Obi-wan wants to view it then he is entitled to it.

Besides what was Obi-Wan supposed to say to Luke ?

Luke: how did my father die?

Obi-Wan: well long story short, he killed a few kids, his mentors and friends, almost killed me but left him to fry like a sausage on a lava bank screaming in agony, want some pancakes?"

they'd just met.

I suspect Obi-Wan was going to tell him the full truth, afterall he didn't know at that point, he'd be involved in a duel with his old pupil did he?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Ulic was no better than Vader after he turned to a Sith, that's how he react when he killed his brother.

[​IMG]

No, Vader and Anakin are one person in different stage, and Anakin was not totally destroyed as we see in the end.