main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Logically, I know the reviews aren't intentionally malicious, but when I'm trying to actually make money with my books, and someone gives it a bad review, it can feel like they're trying to undermine me. *sigh*

Watched "The Avengers" with DarthIshtar. Man, that movie never gets old. I less than three Tony, he's so snarkily awesome.

2. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    They're not. That's not the point of reviews, and why would a randomer who doesn't know you try to undermine you, anyway? The point of reviews is to let other potential customers know what you think of the product, to encourage them or warn them away or just let them know about potential issues. I know it can be tough, but you'll always get the occasional bad review. I'd say give it a few days and then maybe come back and see what you can learn from them for next time, you know? It's a form of market research, really. People tell you what they like and don't like in a book, specifically in your book - that's invaluable knowledge, really, especially if you're trying to make this into a career.

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    The review wasn't helpful, though. It just said it was boring and they couldn't finish it.

4. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Also, I just read the preview of your new book... interesting characters you've got there. :p

5. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    If you mean the one I think you mean, it says more than that - the reader seemed to be confused about a few things that weren't explained properly, and found the story hard to follow. That might be something to look at in future novels. I mean, I haven't read it, and in any case my reading experience might be very different, but if people have trouble following the narrative then I'd say it's constructive of them to let you know, if that makes sense?

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    But in terms of overall helpfulness, the review basically said the book was boring and they gave up. Given that they didn't list specific things, and were generally vague with the complaints, I have to wonder how far they got into it. No one else who read the book before I published it said it was difficult to follow, and the people I have vet my work are generally pretty honest with me about this stuff. If the review is vague, how am I supposed to know what, exactly, they found confusing? There's a huge difference between "This book was boring, and I couldn't follow it so I gave up" and "I was confused about X's plotline at Y point, and I didn't understand Z situation, so I didn't try to finish it". One is constructive, the other is . . . not.

7. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I just mean in terms of what people like or don't like, generally. I'll give you an example - someone might tell me that my new drawing looks "flat". I don't know how, or why, or where, but I know that that's an issue I might want to look at. I look at the drawing again and try to see the flatness, usually a few days after I read the person's comment. And I usually do see it, or at least I get to "oh, I see how this person would think so, although I don't agree". That's the value. I'm just saying, when people criticise your work, it gives you another angle under which to examine it, see if you agree or not, maybe get another opinion, etc. You don't have to fix it; maybe you decide that it doesn't matter. I've had some critical comments on my stuff that I've taken to heart and used to try and improve, and I've had some where I decided that they were just a matter of someone having a different opinion to me, and dismissed them.

I'd take it in stride. If this person found it hard to follow, well, I believe them. If 10 people told you the same thing, I'd say it's definitely time to look at that as an issue with your writing, but with one person... I'd say you can keep it in mind, or not; you're best-placed to judge whether or not you need to, really.

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I guess the important thing to keep in mind about reviews is, they're people's opinions, not constructive criticism. It's not your reviewer's job to help you improve, they're not writing with that in mind. It's up to us as the creators to read reviews and figure out if there's anything we can take away from them. Reviews aren't written for the creator, so they're not personal attacks or praises, they're written for other customers. So I'd try to bear that in mind - no one's being mean to you, they're trying to be helpful to others. I doubt they're thinking of you at all when they're writing the review, you know? You can just ignore reviews. Or you can try to get something constructive from them. But don't see them as an attack or let them get you down, that's the worst option, and no one means it that way.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Easier said than done when you're starting out with depression and anxiety.

Anyway. I'm going on a road trip this summer with my dad. His girlfriend lives in Phoenix, Arizona, and two of my fave bands (Train and The Script) are playing there in August, same show, so I get to see the concert, he gets to see her. Aside from the horrible heat, it'll be win-win!

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Probably 90% of the best selling books in the world I find boring. It doesn't mean they are not fantastic books...but I have specific things I like to read about and if the book falls outside that realm...then it's boring to me. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings bore me to death. I even tried watching the movies and got about 20 minute into them before I had to turn them off.

It doesn't mean they are not masterpieces...they just don't capture my attention. So just because this reviewer found your book boring doesn't mean the other 6 billion people in the world won't find it exciting.

But like you said, Dantana Skywalker, it easier said than done. I am being treated for anxiety and anxiety doesn't really care what the logical part of the brain is saying. But I do want to say that you did something that a huge majority of people will never do...and that is put yourself out there....write a book and place it on the market. That is a terrifying prospect for most people...even those not suffering from anxiety. Good job! =D=

11. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Sorry Dantana, I don't mean to play devil's advocate or tell you how to feel. I was just trying to help put it in perspective, that's all. :)

And I agree with Jedi_Lover. Your book is selling, after all, and people are always more inclined to complain about something than praise it. Everyone has different opinions anyway and you'll never create something that everyone will love, it's not possible.

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Indeed. At least it is selling. Mine just isn't selling at all.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My week has been very up-and-down. The husband of a very close friend (as in I was her bridesmaid and see her at least once a week still) has been bullying me verbally and publicly. His wife is doing nothing about it and so I'm really to the point where I want to shove both of them out of my circle because he's a moron and she is apathetic. Then on Valentine's Day, another friend and a guy I've been friends with since my mission got into a very hostile discussion on my Facebook post over women's rights. Somehow that led to the other friend's husband deciding he needs to man up and chew out the bully at our weekly get-together. Which means that if things go as planned, the little snot will be put in his place or at least told his place today. In my frustration, I had a dream about beating the guy senseless for trying to hug me last night, which is not something I like dreaming about.

Yesterday, I took the wife of the bully to get mani-pedis and she took me to lunch afterwards. That was good.

Before that, it was a pretty typical Saturday morning. I had a piano lesson and then sprawled on the couch with my phone. Kateydidnt was on her computer, which is also typical. She's been talking about going on a trip for months and we were very set on going to Greece, but things just fell apart in planning that. I've been trying to talk her into going somewhere more local and Greece later, but she wants to use her passport. Well, around 12 p.m. she read off the itinerary of this one 10-day cruise. Leaves Rome, goes to Athens, Olympia, Ephesos, Naples/Pompeii and Istanbul before returning to Rome. I was sold at the words "overnight in Istanbul." Then she said that it left on November 27, which is the day after my birthday. I was very into this idea. Then she said "They just need $200 down per person. Should I get my credit card?" The whole cruise is $644. So we put our deposits down. She insists that we arrive at least a day early in Rome, which means that I'll be celebrating my birthday by going to the Sistine Chapel among other things. I've been to all of the places we're going before except Olympia and Istanbul, which means that we can avoid paying for the guided excursions and strike out on our own.

What @DantanaSkywalker didn't mention about hanging out last night is that she came over to give me a very nice present: the piano music for The Hobbit. I think that made me happier than deciding where to go on vacation.

14. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    What's your book called?

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Her first one, the murder mystery, is "Pasted." The second, the romance, is called "Love's Dance."

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I babysat my niece and nephews Friday evening. They were well-behaved. Had to raise my voice only a few times, and even then, only to an authoritative level. We watched cartoons and movies, did exercise (they made it through two reps of bicep curls, but one rep of push-ups, sit-ups, planks, and leg lifts), we read comics, and then I explained to them what comics were, as my nephew said they were "just pictures in boxes." I drew two three-panel gag strips to show him the basics of sequential art and storytelling.

They helped clean up (for the most part), they got their baths and showers by themselves, we played video games, told stories, and then their folks came home and the kids got to bed.

It's Sunday and my head is all clogged up. Which makes for some problematic voice recording. I also feel utterly lousy. Looks like those flu shots aren't as all powerful as they'd like you to think that they are...

...Either that or my displays of hubris have finally come back to haunt me.

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Yep, this I know. :) I meant moose's book.
    I bought "Pasted" actually. I read half of it but because the book is on my phone, I only read when I'm on the tram or on the bus.

18. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Do you have yours up on Amazon or Smashwords at all, or just Lulu? Honestly, I think the lack of a preview might hold people back. It would me. I like to get an idea of a writer's style and whether the story draws me in before I actually buy a book, and I'm probably not the only one, so that might be affecting it?

19. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Actually, there is a preview up on Lulu. It's just pretty well hidden, underneath the picture of the cover, which isn't really...well, promotional.

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It's called 'Salisbury', because that's where it's set.

It's on amazon, lulu, the iBookstore, and it should be on the Nook too. Both Lulu and amazon have a preview of it. With amazon you just click on the cover, and with Lulu there's a 'preview' link underneath.

If you want to read more than the preview to get an idea of my writing style, there's all the fanfic I've written that's on the boards. :p

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Ugh. I had a horrible, horrible experience with Lulu. Never, ever again.

Do you have it available in Kindle format? That's where I've made 99.9999999% of my sales. I've sold . . . one print copy. :p

22. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    There isn't a book on the planet that doesn't get bad reviews. Also, many people don't go by stars on Amazon as they think friends and family of the author artificially inflate the ratings.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I found this out earlier.

If you right-click the "edit" link in your topic's first post and open it in a new tab, it opens the edit page and you can edit your topic's title straight away, without having to do that extra step of clicking "more options" in the edit dialogue popup.

And judging by this hacking cough, worsening sore throat, and elevated temperature... I think I am officially sick.

24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweet. Thanks for the tip.

I hope you feel better. My stomach has been bothering me lately. I haven't been hungry. I really hope it's not the stomach flu. I'd rather not end up in the hospital hooked up to a glucose IV. It's not fun.

My 'reading week' officially started today (our version of spring break, but it is utterly unfitting to call it that - then again, few students actually read during this week - they should just call it procrastiation week), so I don't have to go to classes all week. YAY! But I do have to do all my research for my research paper. blah.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm enjoying my day off. I've made lunch, written a scathing email to some stupid people and am now looking for something to watch on Netflix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.