main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Since the Duloks are also Ewoks and eat other Ewoks... yep they are.
    [​IMG]

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How are the Duloks Ewoks?

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    They're Duros, obviously.

Goodwood and Ris_jSarek like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They have been described as a related Tribe.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So because one tribe of humans eat other humans then all of us are thus cannibals?

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    No just some of course. Just pointing out that we indeed have accounts of Ewok tribes eating each other.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :confused:

Where is it described?

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Their Wook article cites the episodes "Wicket's Wagon" and "The Haunted Village" when noting their common heritage. It also calls them "distant relatives". What I'm wondering is how distant? If they're not the same species, I don't see how it's cannibalism any more than a human eating a chimpanzee (or vice versa) would be cannibalism.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Cannibalism is the act of an individual or organism consuming all or part of another individual or organism of that same species as food. There are different types, such as consuming your mate after or during mating (sexual cannibalism); an older, larger individual consumes a smaller, younger individual (size-structured cannibalism), eating one's offspring (filial cannibalism), intrauterine cannibalism (multiple embryos are created, but only two are born after they devour the others), adelphophagy (fetus eats sibling embryos), oophagy (or eats sibling eggs (Bossk did this)). If an individual consumes the young of another species, it is simply infanticide.

"Anthropophagy" would probably be a better term for the practice of an individual of one sentient species consuming all or part of another individual of another sentient species. Anthro- Human, humanoid, human-like. Phagy- to eat.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The Hyperspace Article Castaways of Endor mentions it as did the old Essential Guide to Aliens.

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I support this message.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So do the Sons of Rasputin!

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    While I understand next to nothing of its content, this comic seems marginally relevant.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Penny for your thoughts?

Nah, I charge at least a dollar. Though the Twi'lek down the street charges a bit less.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, since it's been brought up in the Flirt Junkies thread... Interspecies relationships. Personally, I think there should be more of them. I mean, really... Regardless of whether or not the parts line up, and regardless of the fact that you're not going to see any kids out of this relationship... Love is love. So, you have a good friend who is, say, an Ithorian. You've known this Ithorian for years and you two get along great. Why not ask your friend out? Take the relationship to the next level. Who is going to stop you?

An author need not restrict themselves to same-species relationships, as love has a way of evolving, regardless of the species. Any kind of love. And love doesn't always mean sex, so get your minds out of the gutter! Your dog or cat is your best friend, right? You love them like they're your own child. Woe be the person who dares to hurt your best buddy, as you would tear that person's throat out in a heartbeat. That's interspecies love. That's an interspecies relationship. And in the GFFA, with such a myriad of species to choose from, it's really only natural to see interspecies relationships. It's just a natural progression of attraction.

theraphos likes this.
  17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

fanart is way ahead of you there :p

but while I am all for interspecies relationships with all their complications... they should feature these 3 points:

1) The alien not being just human with weird face/color/look but also different culture and all that. Some authors can really give aliens a unique way to act, think, live while others have them like humans with different looks.

2) Aliens should not look like humanoid animals be it dogs, cats, etc. or else interspecies romance exploration is associated with bestiality even if the author did not intend that. just look at some fanart/fics out there... *shudders*

3) Do not create animal species that resemble some aliens and vice versa... outside of earth-animal inspired aliens, this often happens too in the EU with TCW having animals that resemble togruta.. and else. D'oh.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My fanart and fanfics are way ahead of my post. Interspecies for the win. But, my gripe isn't within the fan community; it's directed to the pros.

I agree with you on the points. A Zabrak/Human relationship is not interspecies. It's a Human with a Human who has horns and stripes. Twi'lek/Rodian is fine. I've seen Ithorian/Rodian, which is great. Bothan/Human, Otter/Human, all good choices. Wackbar is fine! And, hey, so is buglove. But, taking a Human-faced person and hooking them up with a Human isn't diverse enough. Get creative, authors!

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    in that regard TCW wins... TrakNar

[​IMG]

Gorefiend, Zorrixor and TrakNar like this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The greatest ship ever.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Now, normally, I like WEG stuff.

But am I the only one who finds this a bit...problematic?

Contessa likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Of course he's "Near-Human," too.

I can't decide whether that makes it better or worse.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I’ll let that one pass because their species background is pretty awesome.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm not sure there's enough awesome in the world to redeem that.

Contessa and themetresgained like this.